Need a opinon

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 800 efi sportsman i thinking of changing the exhaust system wondering if any one has done this on there quads Wondering about back pressure issue slip on (run just one muffler) dont want to pay a arm and leg :confused:

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride with a guy that put the single Aaens pipe on his 05' 800 and said he was reasonably happy with the preformance gain however, nobody want to ride anywhere near that machine because it is way too load.... I know a few guys on here have recommened the HSP pipe and said its not as loud but still has good power increase...

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My opinion after piping,chipping and doing the Intake on my Prowler is save your money.As the above post says,to loud and the performance gain on any 4 stroke is minimal.Great conversation piece but wasted doe!
catmando!

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you get the hsp they come desgined so you have the right back pressure and all that. so no need to programm the computer.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My opinion after piping,chipping and doing the Intake on my Prowler is save your money.As the above post says,to loud and the performance gain on any 4 stroke is minimal.Great conversation piece but wasted doe!
catmando!

Cat, you had minimal gains because you chose the wrong areas to throw the doe at and the prowler is quite heavy making the gains less noticable. Check out what the four stroke go kart guys are getting out of a 6hp engine.:)

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 800 efi sportsman i thinking of changing the exhaust system wondering if any one has done this on there quads Wondering about back pressure issue slip on (run just one muffler) dont want to pay a arm and leg :confused:

What are you looking to gain? Torque? Different tone?

The Aaen slip-on works well, but I have trouble keeping the packing in mine. You will not have a back pressure problem with any well designed single exhaust.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any engine is like an air pump, the more air you can flow thru it, the more power it makes. you must also modify intake and fuel/air mixture to really see any gains out of a high flow exhaust system. every engine is tuned from the factory for all three of those variables to work together, and then jetted (or programmed in the case of EFI) to be a tad rich for engine safety to limit warranty claims. modifying one without doing anything to the other 2 is spinning your wheels, so to speak. I am a fan of a sweet 4 stroke exhaust note, haven't heard one that I would consider "ignorantly loud" yet....slip ons are very popular, but performance wise, a waste of money.

just my 2 cents....

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any engine is like an air pump, the more air you can flow thru it, the more power it makes. you must also modify intake and fuel/air mixture to really see any gains out of a high flow exhaust system. every engine is tuned from the factory for all three of those variables to work together, and then jetted (or programmed in the case of EFI) to be a tad rich for engine safety to limit warranty claims. modifying one without doing anything to the other 2 is spinning your wheels, so to speak. I am a fan of a sweet 4 stroke exhaust note, haven't heard one that I would consider "ignorantly loud" yet....slip ons are very popular, but performance wise, a waste of money.

just my 2 cents....

What he said... I agree. As far as back pressure influencing performance due to a bolt on exhaust (muffler) on a four stroke it is really a non issue. Back pressure in relation to performance is a 2 stroke issue.... then you have to really watch what you are doing. Aftermarket exhausts on 4 stroke atvs are a waste of money in my humble opinion... might sound & look better but thats about all. :rolleyes:

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason i posted was not a performance issue but a heat one i am wondering with a slip on it would let more heat out of the pipe instead of stock when it gets hot it has melted the side guards and my leg to

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason i posted was not a performance issue but a heat one i am wondering with a slip on it would let more heat out of the pipe instead of stock when it gets hot it has melted the side guards and my leg to
I don't think it would help heat wise, try header tape on the pipe and some aluminum duct tape on the inside of the plastic panel for a heat shield. it should cut down the heat transfer quite a bit. the header pipe on my crf 450 actually glows red when hot, it's about as free-flowing as a 4 stroke can get.

good luck

ElectroTech

Reaction score
About the melted side panels, take it to your dealer and have them reflash the computer. Its free as part of warranty/polaris bulletin and the plastic may be covered too depending on how far you are out of warranty. They are programmed way lean for emmisions reasons and with the reflash run very noticeably cooler, if your dealer says no call polaris and they will take care of it. For an easy and fairly cheap gain get the polaris sled clutch weights 10-64 It will not take away top speed but makes the bike much nicer to drive and has a noticeable gain on the bottom and will accelerate much better. If you add a free flowing exhaust without the reflash or a power programmer it will still be hot as hell, probably even worse. This is not a 2 stroke it isnt rich from the factory, its lean for emissions. Also its worth the money to have the TPS re-initiallized, have them set it to the higher voltage end of the range that polaris gives, the idle will settle down a little due to being a little richer but the out of the hole punch is better.

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been gone for a few days i see the thanks button is gone so i would like yo thank you all for your input

Top Bottom