My experience with the Tesla Model 3

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Johnny put on 600km for $12.60.

That's 2.1 cents per km.

You buy the car and it's basically free to run the machine.

500,000km will cost you $10,500 by these numbers. Fuel savings almost pays for the car.

My old civic is $40 for 600km or 6.7 cents per km. After 100,000km on the Tesla I would save $4600. I don’t see economics on that? One day but not now.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old civic is $40 for 600km or 6.7 cents per km. After 100,000km on the Tesla I would save $4600. I don’t see economics on that? One day but not now.

Based on those numbers you would have to run the Tesla model 3 for about one million km's to break even based on purchase price.

You can buy a very nice gas powered import for around $30,000 and pay for fuel for about 500,000 km and break even on price compared to a model 3 with free electricity.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leaving for Revelstoke this morning. Headwind is crazy right now.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im quite enjoying his updates, provides valuable information and all his stuff seems accurate and well thought out. Provides a great base for others to make decisions on.

Exactly. Im really enjoying the thread and his honest feedback. Does everyone have to throw on their Tesla cheerleading outfit for it to be a good thread? I think as long as Johnny is happy with his purchase and willing to answer everyones questions, there should be some room for differing opinions. Im get the sense that the purchase was about more than just economics.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Im really enjoying the thread and his honest feedback. Does everyone have to throw on their Tesla cheerleading outfit for it to be a good thread? I think as long as Johnny is happy with his purchase and willing to answer everyones questions, there should be some room for differing opinions. Im get the sense that the purchase was about more than just economics.

At this point in Tesla's evolution nobody can convince me that they bought them because they are cheaper to own and operate. If a person chooses to buy one because they enjoy the cutting edge technology, the acceleration, they want to save the earth, what ever the reason, good on them, if you can afford it, buy what makes you happy. Hell, some people actually buy Dodge pickups.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's past 3 days of my delivery date so I guess I'll have to keep it :)

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW, that's all i can say. I see now why the oil giant's are shaking in their boots with fear propaganda as they will become dinosaurs in the auto fuel industry.
This week has answered many question's for me, even some posted on here. I'm sold on EV's, they will only get better as a whole new way of transport and as the population move's in that direction.
After having the Tesla for 4 day's getting back to my F350 was shockingly prehistoric way of transport. Looking forward to a F350 EV.......LOL.

Before knocking the EV's, go try one, it will enlighten you.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saving the planet by driving an EV not... having a cool car that’s electric yes...

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Made it to Canmore...

ed563eff7e8db85809979afb25fbd9d3.jpg

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So when your out having lunch while it’s charging, do you get notified on your phone that charging is almost complete? I would imagine it’s poor etiquette to not get back to your car as soon as it’s completed.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW, that's all i can say. I see now why the oil giant's are shaking in their boots with fear propaganda as they will become dinosaurs in the auto fuel industry.
This week has answered many question's for me, even some posted on here. I'm sold on EV's, they will only get better as a whole new way of transport and as the population move's in that direction.
After having the Tesla for 4 day's getting back to my F350 was shockingly prehistoric way of transport. Looking forward to a F350 EV.......LOL.

Before knocking the EV's, go try one, it will enlighten you.

What kind of “fear propaganda” are the big bad oil companies doing?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So when your out having lunch while it’s charging, do you get notified on your phone that charging is almost complete? I would imagine it’s poor etiquette to not get back to your car as soon as it’s completed.

Yeah I get a notification at 80% charge. You still have half an hour to get there to unplug as the top 20% of the battery charges quite slow. Idle charges apply when a charger is operating at 50% capacity. I like to get out right away because sometimes the spots are ICED.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m actually using less Wh/km in the mountains than I was in Alberta. Topping off for 20minutes in Golden.

0b59727de582d8e9419e0d06170a39b8.jpg

Top Bottom