My experience with the Tesla Model 3

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So lethbridge to calgary is roughly 225km, and you had 75km left in your battery at cross iron mills. Fair to say your max range in that weather is 300km?

Left Lethbridge with 75% and arrived with 18%. When it's cold out I find using percent better as the rated range doesn't work in the winter. I did not do any 100% charges this trip but I would guess that I could do 380 km on a full charge if I had to.

I used autopilot for at least 90% of the highway driving. Navigation on autopilot worked well just had to wait for it to suggest a lane change and then tap the stalk once down for it to confirm. The navigation system will tell you to drop your speed if you don't have enough battery to make it to your inputed destination. I ignored all the speed warnings (knowing I could stop earlier) and the navigation automatically rerouted my charging stop.

Michelin Xice3 winters seemed to work really well on the ice and snow covered roads.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should submit a bug report to Elon. No reason range estimate should be wrong. The car knows the ambient temperature. The car's cloud system knows the weather every 50km along your plotted route. Very feasible to factor in temperature over the route to estimate range as accurately as in SoCal.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should submit a bug report to Elon. No reason range estimate should be wrong. The car knows the ambient temperature. The car's cloud system knows the weather every 50km along your plotted route. Very feasible to factor in temperature over the route to estimate range as accurately as in SoCal.

The range estimate is not incorrect there are just 2 different ways of displaying it. Percent of battery OR distance. Distance is extremely variable based on cabin heating, terrain, ambient temp, driving speed, etc. When the navigation has a destination the range it calculates is quite accurate.

If this is confusing the easiest way to think of it is that under optimal conditions you will have 500km range at 100%. At 50% you will have 250km. In winter 50% could be more like 180km depending a lot on all those variables above. It's just a unit of measurement but I find it much easier to think in percent.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For 1200km my average was 221Wh/km. So that means from 100% charge (75kwh) I was getting 340km based on this trips average (this includes warming the car up before driving). Driving 110km/h instead of 130km/h makes a huge difference. When I go to Revelstoke I will try to lower my Wh/km and be more efficient.

Only one time was a supercharger ICED (edmonton mall). All other chargers were open even the one in cross iron mills on boxing day. Security guard was there watching them like a hawk.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great Post....keep the updates coming. Although I have never considered a car that runs on "lectricity"....I find this quite interesting

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know I asked this question before, how many chargers at the super charge station? Was there any other vehicles getting a charge in the 45 minutes you were charging? We do not have any those stations here.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know I asked this question before, how many chargers at the super charge station? Was there any other vehicles getting a charge in the 45 minutes you were charging? We do not have any those stations here.

Edmonton 8 stalls
red deer 4 stalls
cross iron 8 stalls
fort macleod 8 stalls

The 8 stall ones in calgary/edmonton would be common to see 4-5 vehicles charging.
Both stops in red deer there was 1 other vehicle charging when we got there. If you roll in with a low battery you will have a hard time to have a sit down meal in a restaurant before you reach 80%. I only charged to 80% because that was the fastest way to get back on the road. When they are pumping the full 120KW they are charging at a rate of 740km/h.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I 100% know they wont work for me or my lifestyle until some significant upgrades are made, but I can see the value to the metro commuter. As somebody else stated, they are targeted at Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto in Canada and everywhere else you have to want to make them work.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m still super interested in Tesla’s, I’m going to have to find a way to get a ride in one. The biggest draw back I can see for my family is the GP-Edmonton drive, I’m thinking it’d be a tough drive to make, although I haven’t checked to see if there’s any chargers along the way.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m still super interested in Tesla’s, I’m going to have to find a way to get a ride in one. The biggest draw back I can see for my family is the GP-Edmonton drive, I’m thinking it’d be a tough drive to make, although I haven’t checked to see if there’s any chargers along the way.

Run a genny in the back so you can charge while driving ;)

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most people do not drive 3 to 4 hours each way or every day. Areas of high pop density are driving the change to electric - other than GTA / Vancouver / Montreal - rest of Canada is not of concern. US / Europe and Asia are driving the switch as the folks who live in rural areas are of little importance ...pretty much the same as per any for profit service. They are building for the masses.

Certainly many don't. I know I do. I put on a around 200-300km virtually everyday and that's in a pickup.

I can certainly see these becoming more popular but they are still so very far away from the application working for the majority of people. For the people they work for now, the cost needs to be there to make sense. How many people who rarely drive and only short distances are willing to pony up huge money for these? If you're a short commuter, fuel cost isn't going to be a concern, it will only be the few who are worried about the carbon footprint aspect. I think you'd sell a ton if you made a tiny car with decent range in the $15-20k price tag. But tesla will never gather much marketplace, too expensive.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Certainly many don't. I know I do. I put on a around 200-300km virtually everyday and that's in a pickup.

I can certainly see these becoming more popular but they are still so very far away from the application working for the majority of people. For the people they work for now, the cost needs to be there to make sense. How many people who rarely drive and only short distances are willing to pony up huge money for these? If you're a short commuter, fuel cost isn't going to be a concern, it will only be the few who are worried about the carbon footprint aspect. I think you'd sell a ton if you made a tiny car with decent range in the $15-20k price tag. But tesla will never gather much marketplace, too expensive.
Again its aimed at the masses in large centres https://ca.news.yahoo.com/elon-musk-promises-100-supercharger-125322344.html

In 20 years fewer people will own a car and will instead subscribe to a shared platform ....shared autonomous cars again in large areas with generally consistent conditions.

Agree that its not going to be for all ... We average 35 to 40 k each year on each of our vehicles (mix of long haul and short commutes) with a small popation spread out plus variability of weather here (NL) will likely mean I'll be driving ic for a while longer.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For 1200km my average was 221Wh/km. So that means from 100% charge (75kwh) I was getting 340km based on this trips average (this includes warming the car up before driving). Driving 110km/h instead of 130km/h makes a huge difference. When I go to Revelstoke I will try to lower my Wh/km and be more efficient.

Only one time was a supercharger ICED (edmonton mall). All other chargers were open even the one in cross iron mills on boxing day. Security guard was there watching them like a hawk.

How does the warm up work? Do you have a remote starter? Obviously there is no engine to start but does it turn on the defrost and seat warmers?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does the warm up work? Do you have a remote starter? Obviously there is no engine to start but does it turn on the defrost and seat warmers?
All sorts of functionality, including this, is accomplished using a smart phone app. They are supposedly adding a remote control feature in the near future as well.

Top Bottom