My experience with the Tesla Model 3

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And no one interested in charge times at that the stations.

I got to cross iron mills with 75km of range and charged to 350km in roughly 30min. I charged in red deer for an hour while we ate lunch at the hotel. It works well to time your charging stops with eating and breaks you were going to take anyways.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought they were doing $0.20 kWh flat rate but you are right. A 75kwh battery will charge at the high rate for the first 60% and slowly taper down as it nears 100%. I expect supercharging to be slightly more expensive than home charging due to the convenience factor. Let’s just say my previous math was wrong. With a by the minute rate your best bang for the buck will be to charge to 80% as the last 20% is pretty slow. I’m headed back to Lethbridge today so I’ll pay more attention to the battery level that the charge starts to taper off. These rates also should allow them to double the current supercharging network by the end of 2019 as planned.

This is one reason why I’m interested in using solar to charge because when you sell 1 kWh to the grid you are being paid $0.03.
From everything I have read, Tesla is keeping rates charges for supercharger use very close to cost. They are not a profit center for Tesla. My electricity bill works out to right around $0.26/kwh even though my contract rate is $0.05/kwh. All the other fees really add up.

Regardless, if you charge for say 30minutes at a supercharger, it will cost you around $9 and give you a conservative range of 200km. That works out to a cost per 100km of $4.50. Compared to an ICE that would be like getting 4.5l/100km depending on the current price at the pump. And that's a conservative estimate. Pretty decent in my opinion.

I probably couldn't make a Tesla work for myself right now, but the idea intrigues me. The fact that it's a car is my biggest limiting factor. I am really curious to see what the truck ends up looking like though. I think I could make a business case to use them.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many plugs were there, and did anyone else come in the hour or so you were charging, I guess roughly times is better than nothing. We do not have super charge stations so all this is not available other than say so.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From everything I have read, Tesla is keeping rates charges for supercharger use very close to cost. They are not a profit center for Tesla. My electricity bill works out to right around $0.26/kwh even though my contract rate is $0.05/kwh. All the other fees really add up.

Regardless, if you charge for say 30minutes at a supercharger, it will cost you around $9 and give you a conservative range of 200km. That works out to a cost per 100km of $4.50. Compared to an ICE that would be like getting 4.5l/100km depending on the current price at the pump. And that's a conservative estimate. Pretty decent in my opinion.

I probably couldn't make a Tesla work for myself right now, but the idea intrigues me. The fact that it's a car is my biggest limiting factor. I am really curious to see what the truck ends up looking like though. I think I could make a business case to use them.

how many charging stations have you seen in Cold Lake?

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The cost of charging your e-car at home should be calculated more as a nominal kWh cost rather than an average total bill kWh cost. So if you really can charge at home with the only additional fees on your electricity bill being 3c/kWh, then I don't think you should factor in all the flat rate fees that you were going to pay anyways for your home.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how many charging stations have you seen in Cold Lake?
Not one, and I doubt we'll see one anytime soon. With the miles most of my guys put on in a day though, overnight charging would work depending on the range of the vehicle.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cost of charging your e-car at home should be calculated more as a nominal kWh cost rather than an average total bill kWh cost. So if you really can charge at home with the only additional fees on your electricity bill being 3c/kWh, then I don't think you should factor in all the flat rate fees that you were going to pay anyways for your home.

Exactly, up here ATCO charges 10-11c/kwh for transmission and distribution, plus your rate of electricity, currently around 6c for a total of 16-17c/kwh. The other fees shouldn't factor in to the cost for an electric car, the mandatory monthly fees are there anyway because your house still needs power.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll give you that. Transmission and delivery are both largely based on consumption though, and average out for me to be approximately $0.17/kwh for a total cost of $0.22/kwh + fees (based on my bills over the last two years).

I'll have to take a look at our commercial bills for the shop to see how that scales.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll give you that. Transmission and delivery are both largely based on consumption though, and average out for me to be approximately $0.17/kwh for a total cost of $0.22/kwh + fees (based on my bills over the last two years).

I'll have to take a look at our commercial bills for the shop to see how that scales.
if i'm not mistaken commercial rates fall into rate ranges. you pay x amount for y rate base on an average monthly usage and if you exceed y rate for that month you are hit with a penalty.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You think the tax money they collect from gas actually goes to maintaining roads? Maybe like 1% the rest goes to Rachel notley retirement fund

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Note to self. Do not try to charge at -18 with the wimpy 120v charger. I will be installing a welder plug at the in-laws house next time I go.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My brothers power stroke halfton is getting 9l/100km. 1000km range.
Diesel up and do it again.
And it's a truck, not a mazada 3.

My biggest concern is what happens when there is a lineup at the charging stations like you see at Costco's fuel bar....
Have no choice but to wait. Maybe get a hotel room..

Anyways neat idea.
It's working better than. I had thought.
With the economics working so well definitely no reason to subsidize electric vechiles as it looks like they will catch on due to their own merits.

I am holding out for an electric one ton.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got to cross iron mills with 75km of range and charged to 350km in roughly 30min. I charged in red deer for an hour while we ate lunch at the hotel. It works well to time your charging stops with eating and breaks you were going to take anyways.

So lethbridge to calgary is roughly 225km, and you had 75km left in your battery at cross iron mills. Fair to say your max range in that weather is 300km?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like they are getting better, but so far from being able to work for most people. I wonder what the range would be like in -20 with the car loaded down with 4 adults. I couldn't imagine only having a 3-4 hour range. When I use to go to the states a lot I would drive to the border without stopping so over 600km, wouldn't want the hassle of stopping for an hour or two to charge a vehicle. Fuel up in 5 mins grab some food and be on the road again. Or having to worry about whether or not there is a charging station where you are going. Things break down, power outages, etc.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Left Edmonton at 81% arrived in red deer with 31% (drove 130km/h). Charged 15 minutes to 50%. Got to cross iron with 8% and charged to 82% in about 45 minutes. Got back to Lethbridge with 16%. It was colder coming back about -12 most of the way. Total charge time was 1 hour.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like they are getting better, but so far from being able to work for most people. I wonder what the range would be like in -20 with the car loaded down with 4 adults. I couldn't imagine only having a 3-4 hour range. When I use to go to the states a lot I would drive to the border without stopping so over 600km, wouldn't want the hassle of stopping for an hour or two to charge a vehicle. Fuel up in 5 mins grab some food and be on the road again. Or having to worry about whether or not there is a charging station where you are going. Things break down, power outages, etc.
Most people do not drive 3 to 4 hours each way or every day. Areas of high pop density are driving the change to electric - other than GTA / Vancouver / Montreal - rest of Canada is not of concern. US / Europe and Asia are driving the switch as the folks who live in rural areas are of little importance ...pretty much the same as per any for profit service. They are building for the masses.

Top Bottom