My experience with the Tesla Model 3

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You think the tax money they collect from gas actually goes to maintaining roads? Maybe like 1% the rest goes to Rachel notley retirement fund

Road maintenance comes from taxes in one form or another. Electric cars will eventually be taxed, for now they are essentially being subsidized by gasoline vehicles.
I hate taxes too...

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does the warm up work? Do you have a remote starter? Obviously there is no engine to start but does it turn on the defrost and seat warmers?

You can do the climate control with the app. You set the inside temp and can control each of the 5 seat heaters. If you put it on full blast for 15minutes it is very toasty.

The app can do pretty much anything from using your iPhone as the key, open trunk or frunk, send a destination to the car for your navigation, summon (haven’t tried this yet), check nearby supercharger open spaces, set the charge limit, open charge port, request service, and honk the horn.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Road maintenance comes from taxes in one form or another. Electric cars will eventually be taxed, for now they are essentially being subsidized by gasoline vehicles.
I hate taxes too...

No we are subsidizing all kinds of other bull**** and the roads are in crappy conditions imo. the trans Canada is a joke.

Going off topic here though.

Cheers

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
9 cents of every litre is road tax . I have heard that a lot of the money isn’t put back into roads but can’t confirm that .

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been watching this thread closely. One of these would work great for my wife for work who works out of schools and her furthest one away is 80km. Home every night and charge in the garage. Just not sure if the economics are there yet versus the more fuel efficient ICE vehicles.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those who do not mind getting queasy, the Canadian Taxpayers Federation report from May 2018 attached. Essentially BC outside of the lower mainland and Alberta pay 29 cents of every dollar in taxes on fuel.

https://www.taxpayer.com/media/2018-GTHD-EN.pdf

Pretty disgusting, I remember when they had a pie chart at the pumps showing the breakdown. Gas stations should go back to that!

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been watching this thread closely. One of these would work great for my wife for work who works out of schools and her furthest one away is 80km. Home every night and charge in the garage. Just not sure if the economics are there yet versus the more fuel efficient ICE vehicles.

It’ might not be there quite yet. I’’ve owned 4 vw Jetta TDi’s and it’s very difficult to find something cheaper to run then that for commuting. Service gets expensive though (DSG and timing belt).

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy fawk that's a lot of taxes. Hard to swallow when on average once a week it's $600 of diesel at the pump. And the bulk of it is for off-road equipment :mad: Fawkers.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy fawk that's a lot of taxes. Hard to swallow when on average once a week it's $600 of diesel at the pump. And the bulk of it is for off-road equipment :mad: Fawkers.

Try a 1000 liters a day.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Johnny put on 600km for $12.60.

That's 2.1 cents per km.

You buy the car and it's basically free to run the machine.

500,000km will cost you $10,500 by these numbers. Fuel savings almost pays for the car.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Johnny put on 600km for $12.60.

That's 2.1 cents per km.

You buy the car and it's basically free to run the machine.

500,000km will cost you $10,500 by these numbers. Fuel savings almost pays for the car.

That is so far from the truth. Increasing power costs, battery replacements, getting 500,000 km from the car? Technology advances make older electric cars obsolete in a short time, look at the numbers from the Leaf compared to the newer Tesla. Anybody who thinks they are going to get "free" power are kidding themselves. In BC we are charged on a 2 tier system, you go into the 2nd tier and it gets real costly real fast. What about resale values?

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am kind of with you. I would like one right now BUT already have five ICE vehicles that are relatively new and all in good shape. Prices will drop just like flat screen TV's so no need to rush unless you really want one and don't mind spending the cash. $40K is kind of the sweet spot for me for a commuter.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that is the same on an ICE vehicle. Fuel costs seem to be destined to be up and down like a hooker's drawers but generally up. They break down and require a lot of maintenance that just isn't there for an electric vehicle. Basically I think if it works for you, then it is definitely worth considering. If it doesn't for reasons of range or whatever, don't discourage anyone else from making the purchase. I say this for two reasons: 1. Just because you can't see it working for you doesn't mean it won't work for them; and 2. It appears that the carbon emission discussion isn't going away anytime soon so if we could get 40% of the vehciles that never leave the city to be electric, the heat would be off of us. Either way you see it, it is a win.

The EV's are getting pretty eff'n cool, Porche's new EV is sold out and at $130K, is a pretty good deal for a Porsche. https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpo...gazine/archive/374/articleoverview/article01/

That is so far from the truth. Increasing power costs, battery replacements, getting 500,000 km from the car? Technology advances make older electric cars obsolete in a short time, look at the numbers from the Leaf compared to the newer Tesla. Anybody who thinks they are going to get "free" power are kidding themselves. In BC we are charged on a 2 tier system, you go into the 2nd tier and it gets real costly real fast. What about resale values?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that is the same on an ICE vehicle. Fuel costs seem to be destined to be up and down like a hooker's drawers but generally up. They break down and require a lot of maintenance that just isn't there for an electric vehicle. Basically I think if it works for you, then it is definitely worth considering. If it doesn't for reasons of range or whatever, don't discourage anyone else from making the purchase. I say this for two reasons: 1. Just because you can't see it working for you doesn't mean it won't work for them; and 2. It appears that the carbon emission discussion isn't going away anytime soon so if we could get 40% of the vehciles that never leave the city to be electric, the heat would be off of us. Either way you see it, it is a win.

The EV's are getting pretty eff'n cool, Porche's new EV is sold out and at $130K, is a pretty good deal for a Porsche. https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpo...gazine/archive/374/articleoverview/article01/

And as I said in an earlier post, at this time I dont see them working for me, but I can see the advantages for those living in the bigger cities with better climates, and as technology progresses they will get better. BUT never buy one thinking your going to get your power for free. As electric cars come on line more an more we will see more and more demand on the power grid and we will see priced of power getting higher and higher. Very naive to think that electricity is free just because you plug in.

Top Bottom