My experience with the Tesla Model 3

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a big system, you'd need a huge roof or a ground mount.

Has to be a ground mount because the roof has way too many weird shapes and angles. I’ll start a separate thread for that and breakdown the costs and installation process (I’ll be doing it all myself).

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So all EV's don't charge at the same place? Tesla's only charge at Tesla specific charging stations?

Exactly.
Most brands use of the regular charging stations, tesla uses a completely different system. So you can't charge a tesla at a normal charging station, nor can an ev by another car maker charge at a tesla station. My wife was at a charging station one day, and a tesla pulled in. The woman looked, said damn I can't charge here, and left.

Last edited:

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They could but realistically 300watts of solar is not going to charge a 75000watt hour battery very quickly.

Cybertruck could have a solar option for the bed cover.

Plan to install a huge array this spring so Cdnfireman doesn’t have to worry about my car being powered by coal :)

I’m not anti EV, but I don’t understand the home solar charging concept.

For the vast majority of the public the EV is away from home during the peak solar periods... how are you going to solar charge your EV during the evenings and night time? Would you not have to have a large battery storage system? This would double the amount of natural resources required to produce the storage systems.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

For the vast majority of the public the EV is away from home during the peak solar periods... how are you going to solar charge your EV during the evenings and night time? Would you not have to have a large battery storage system? This would double the amount of natural resources required to produce the storage systems.
This ^^^^^^^

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly.
Most brands use of the regular charging stations, tesla uses a completely different system. So you can't charge a tesla at a normal charging station, nor can an ev by another car maker charge at a tesla station. My wife was at a charging station one day, and a tesla pulled in. The woman looked, said damn I can't charge here, and left.

You can charge a Tesla at any j1772 or chademo station. There is currently no adapter for ccs but should be coming soon. So basically you can charge a Tesla at any EV charger.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right there is where this EV charging station thing hits a wall called reality. An 8 stall charging station at 250kw per stall is 2Mw. That’s for ONE charging station. The electrical service required to supply this would be huge. Now imagine a city the size of red deer in the future where there might be a dozen stations. That’s 24Mw of electrical demand. You can argue that not all stations will be full all the time, and you can derate the demand somewhat, but built into that system there would have to be some kind of limiting equipment to reduce the load to a reasonable amount. Translation: very few cars at one time will get the full 250kw charge rate, and the more cars at the station, the longer it will take to charge them all up.
There’s no free lunch when it comes to supplying energy. It has to come from somewhere, and it’s disingenuous as hell for the EV manufacturers to claim fast charge rates of up to XXXkw, then say it’s damaging to the battery to charge at that max rate.
Just like internet download speeds, quote one speed, supply another.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We are set up to charge during the day.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s not perfect. I’ve never said that ever. If it was perfect it would say “autopilot engaged, take a nap”. It’s better than anything else out there by a long shot and improves with each update. Autopilot is now included for free with all new purchases. If you enjoy the experience of driving manually you don’t have to use.

It can never be perfect with our 5hitty Canadian roads. Unless of course we find a better technology than visual reference of lane position. GPS is not 100% due to reception. It might pay to have a data line installed in the center of each lane for these cars to follow but that is expensive.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gonna start with 15kw at the house. Then look at doing some bigger 50kw systems for our pivots.
Isn't the price of these around $50,000 (15kw)-$140000(50kw) - your labor ? I have friends who bought the south facing rooftop 10kw system on their new home-they are not seeing anywhere near the payback on the utility bills that they were sold on.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't the price of these around $50,000 (15kw)-$140000(50kw) - your labor ? I have friends who bought the south facing rooftop 10kw system on their new home-they are not seeing anywhere near the payback on the utility bills that they were sold on.

What a surprise! A solar system that underperforms? More victims of the green energy farce. I feel sorry for your friends. They’re just starting to experience the regrets they’re going to have by installing their systems.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I’m gonna do it for a lot less than that. Winter production is lower than summer. I would be more concerned about the total for the year in kWh.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a surprise! A solar system that underperforms? More victims of the green energy farce. I feel sorry for your friends. They’re just starting to experience the regrets they’re going to have by installing their systems.

You know there are less hours of sun in the winter, right? Oh yeah I forgot snow and mud only checks solar array performance in the pitch dark.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It can never be perfect with our 5hitty Canadian roads. Unless of course we find a better technology than visual reference of lane position. GPS is not 100% due to reception. It might pay to have a data line installed in the center of each lane for these cars to follow but that is expensive.

If humans can figure it out so can robots. It just takes time.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna do it for a lot less than that. Winter production is lower than summer. I would be more concerned about the total for the year in kWh.

They have had the system for 2 years ,taking in all seasons twice now on a new home. Not going to get even 20 year pay back after putting the money upfront.

Top Bottom