My experience with the Tesla Model 3

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn loop holes.

So auto wont work on gravel road then? I didn't actually investigate the auto pilot system at all when researching the EV

In BC it would barely work on any roads. The road to our house is paved, but the lines are not very visible. If it snows the snow confuses it, and if it snows an 1/8" the snow covers the lines even on a good road, so it can't see them. I have driven many teslas, many times, borrowed my sisters 2019 for 8 days, drove my MILs many times, three demo cars, and took one demo on an 920 km 4 day road trip, they don't live up to the hype IMHO...not even close actually. If I had to have an ev it would be the Jaguar ipace, which was actually nicely finished inside and out, tons of power, great handling, quiet, and just a really great vehicle to drive. My probably 80 to 100 hours of driving in tesla vehicles made me dislike them more by the hour. The fit and finish doesn't even have the quality that one would expect of a premium price car. A 20k dollar hyundai maybe, but not a pricey luxury car with a big price tag. The Kia Niro was an upgrade from the tesla when I drove it, and its only 32k. If tesla chopped their prices by 60 percent then it would make a little bit more sense to me. I still wouldn't like it, and sure wouldn't buy one for myself, but at least it would seem a bit more reasonable. The driver assist feature just plain sucks! A drunk four year old would give me more confidence behind the wheel, than teslas computers do. Greta may love tesla, I do not!
Now that Jaguar for running errands or short trips just a town away and back, sure if someone gave me one I would drive it as a secondary vehicle to use sometimes.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i want to hear more about the bolt, range+power+servicing, i was thinking about the volt once, but 10000 will not get you in one so so much for that idea. Ya northern bc's painted lines are barely visible on most of our roads, i will report back if the 3000 dollar computer upgrade fixes tesla's autopilot.... maybe, or maybe not.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah the tesla might not be the best a car for the 23 people that live in northern Canada haha

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Especially when the charging cable freezes in the port and the trunk manual release cable snaps off at -46.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Especially when the charging cable freezes in the port and the trunk manual release cable snaps off at -46.

If its that cold I wouldnt be leaving home any ways. I know my gas truck sure didnt like -38......

4 hours of light in a day and -46 and ur complaining about charging cables for you EV? LMAO

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its that cold I wouldnt be leaving home any ways. I know my gas truck sure didnt like -38......

4 hours of light in a day and -46 and ur complaining about charging cables for you EV? LMAO

I feel like if this is the situation you might have bigger fish to fry then worrying about anything electric. For me its keeping everything that's wet from becoming a solid

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel like if this is the situation you might have bigger fish to fry then worrying about anything electric. For me its keeping everything that's wet from becoming a solid

For me it would be moving to Arizona. But each to their own.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Never had an issue. For someone that hates electric cars you sure spend a lot of time on this thread bashing them every chance you get.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah the tesla might not be the best a car for the 23 people that live in northern Canada haha
The Shuswap is hardly northern Canada. It is far far away from even the middle of the province if measured north to south.
I guess if we cut the top 80 percent of BC off, and only looked at the lower 20 percent, then we would be in the northern part of that 20 percent piece.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Shuswap is hardly northern Canada. It is far far away from even the middle of the province if measured north to south.
I guess if we cut the top 80 percent of BC off, and only looked at the lower 20 percent, then we would be in the northern part of that 20 percent piece.

Its called a joke bud. Plus I was talking to someone else..... But Tesla's seem to work just fine in Revelstoke.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i want to hear more about the bolt, range+power+servicing, i was thinking about the volt once, but 10000 will not get you in one so so much for that idea. Ya northern bc's painted lines are barely visible on most of our roads, i will report back if the 3000 dollar computer upgrade fixes tesla's autopilot.... maybe, or maybe not.

The Bolt is okay for what it is. I did enjoy the peace when on quiet roads, but the range was not very good, certainly not even what chevy predicts. A lot of places only have a level 2 charger, so it takes many hours to get back on the road. Last summer the wife insisted on taking it on our road trip to Nelson, and even she said that the next time it would be in a gas powered vehicle that goes much further per tank, and is refilled in mere minutes. I regularly need a vehicle capable of doing at least a 700 km trip, so I consider 700 real world kms the bare minimum for range, and that is running lights, heater, wipers, radio, and driving in a storm and BC mountains that chew through a battery charge in a hurry. For real world use deduct about 30 percent off the range claims. So a manufacturer would have to claim a minimum of 1000 kms range before it has any use to me at all. Did I dislike the Bolt, no actually it was reliable in the 7 months we had it, and it felt solidly built. But the range, and charge times are unrealistic for my needs.
Most chargers are about 8 to 30 amps, a few 50 amp ones are around. We pulled into a small town on a road trip and figured that we would have to make lunch the longest lunch ever, and then walk around exploring for a few more hours while it charged up. Only to pull up and find the charging station already in use. I left my name and number on the windshield asking for them to please call me when they were done charging their car. Got the call 3 hours later so we drove over and plugged it in, ate, and as it was getting late checked into a motel. I walked over around 9 pm that night and got it and drove it back to the motel. That was when the wife said never again. This was in the lower part of the province to, not way up north, it was the Kootenay region which borders on the American border to the south. I sure wouldn't want to be in a rush going anywhere in one. Leave our house in Celista for example, drive to Kamloops, charge it up, head north up hwy 5 and hope like hell that you can make Valemount. Check into the Best western hotel as they have a charger there. The next day drive to McBride and have a long lunch while you add a little juice for that long leg to PG, because who knows if you can make it or not from Valemount to PG, my guess would be no you cannot.
Jump in my pickup truck instead and easily make Valemount on a tank of gas and then fill it up, grab a bottle of water, and head straight through to PG where I would arrive with a half tank left.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Bolt is okay for what it is. I did enjoy the peace when on quiet roads, but the range was not very good, certainly not even what chevy predicts. A lot of places only have a level 2 charger, so it takes many hours to get back on the road. Last summer the wife insisted on taking it on our road trip to Nelson, and even she said that the next time it would be in a gas powered vehicle that goes much further per tank, and is refilled in mere minutes. I regularly need a vehicle capable of doing at least a 700 km trip, so I consider 700 real world kms the bare minimum for range, and that is running lights, heater, wipers, radio, and driving in a storm and BC mountains that chew through a battery charge in a hurry. For real world use deduct about 30 percent off the range claims. So a manufacturer would have to claim a minimum of 1000 kms range before it has any use to me at all. Did I dislike the Bolt, no actually it was reliable in the 7 months we had it, and it felt solidly built. But the range, and charge times are unrealistic for my needs.
Most chargers are about 8 to 30 amps, a few 50 amp ones are around. We pulled into a small town on a road trip and figured that we would have to make lunch the longest lunch ever, and then walk around exploring for a few more hours while it charged up. Only to pull up and find the charging station already in use. I left my name and number on the windshield asking for them to please call me when they were done charging their car. Got the call 3 hours later so we drove over and plugged it in, ate, and as it was getting late checked into a motel. I walked over around 9 pm that night and got it and drove it back to the motel. That was when the wife said never again. This was in the lower part of the province to, not way up north, it was the Kootenay region which borders on the American border to the south. I sure wouldn't want to be in a rush going anywhere in one. Leave our house in Celista for example, drive to Kamloops, charge it up, head north up hwy 5 and hope like hell that you can make Valemount. Check into the Best western hotel as they have a charger there. The next day drive to McBride and have a long lunch while you add a little juice for that long leg to PG, because who knows if you can make it or not from Valemount to PG, my guess would be no you cannot.
Jump in my pickup truck instead and easily make Valemount on a tank of gas and then fill it up, grab a bottle of water, and head straight through to PG where I would arrive with a half tank left.

How long would it take to charge on a regular 110 outlet at the hotel or house

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

All depends on the temperature outside, 8hrs of charging on 120volts at -30 you might see 1% charge. It used to be 110v, then went to 115volts ..now it is 119 volts, just checked it yesterday.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never had an issue. For someone that hates electric cars you sure spend a lot of time on this thread bashing them every chance you get.

What makes you think i hate electric cars? Just because i cover stuff that maybe helpful and useful to some people or save them money and headaches down the road. Sorry if i am covering stuff you do not want to hear about.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Celista... never heard of it had to check it out on google earth. Thanks so much for your info on the Bolt and the time it took to type that out, read it twice. I wanted honesty and got it. It felt like i was on that trip.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If the battery was low, and temps low, probably 4 or 5 days. In summer only 3 days. The most common charging stations we found when on trips with it would charge it in 9 to 13 hours, some could take up to 20. But we didn't always need a full charge to make our destination so we could let it charge for say 6 hours and then continue on our way. If we got to the fast chargers which are becoming more popular in some areas, those are only 2 to 3 so not really too bad. Have a nice long lunch and a little walking tour around the area and we were good to go, those were great. I had an electrician do a plug install in the garage for my wife to use, it cut the charge time down from days to only 13 hours.

Last edited:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
If the battery was low, and temps low, probably 4 or 5 days. In summer only 3 days. The most common charging stations we found when on trips with it would charge it in 9 to 13 hours, some could take up to 20. But we didn't always need a full charge to make our destination so we could let it charge for say 6 hours and then continue on our way. If we got to the fast chargers which are becoming more popular in some areas, those are only 2 to 3 so not really too bad. Have a nice long lunch and a little walking tour around the area and we were good to go, those were great. I had an electrician do a plug install in the garage for my wife to use, it cut the charge time down from days to only 13 hours.
So if you get to one of these charging stations and there's a lineup, you are stranded till it's your turn?

Top Bottom