Muff Pot not HOT enough

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy has an '06 Summit. He was all excited on the weekend, figuring he would have a hot lunch. After 2-3 hours of riding, the food wasn't even warm. Actually after I held my hand on the inside of the pot and it was barely warm.
Standing in front of the sled, (open hood), it's installed on the left side of the pipe, where the pipe starts getting quite fat.
Would it be hotter on the right side, closer to the engine, where the pipe is quite small? Regardless of what side, there is a small hood vent that also hampers the heat.
Where else can it be installed?
Does it matter if it's on sideways? (not level).
Any help is appreciated since he is much happier when he eats.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
is it on the pipe itself or on the heat shield around the pipe?

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont know forsure about the 07, but my 08 was originally placed on the tin with the insulation still in place. WRONG! No heat at all so I cut the top half of the heat sheild right off and put it closest to the y pipe. Now after 25 minutes of easy riding, the smokieas are hot and ready to eat. Wrapped in foil and water added they steam well.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
The hot pot or muff pot must touch the pipe to work. Then it takes no time to heat up the food. Remember, its not there to cook, but heat pre-cooked food. I have mine installed on my can as I didn't want to cut the insulation around my pipe and while it does take longer, it still works fine. Mine takes about 1-2 hours to thouroughly heat smokies. I put raw onions in it last weekend with butter and after 2 hours, they were too hot to touch and were great on our burgers.

423250_542979459045866_59968577_n.jpg

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hot pot or muff pot must touch the pipe to work. Then it takes no time to heat up the food. Remember, its not there to cook, but heat pre-cooked food. I have mine installed on my can as I didn't want to cut the insulation around my pipe and while it does take longer, it still works fine. Mine takes about 1-2 hours to thouroughly heat smokies. I put raw onions in it last weekend with butter and after 2 hours, they were too hot to touch and were great on our burgers.

View attachment 146323
Mine being up front and hot, able to cook the smokies is grand, but I might put another on my can to keep stuff warm like the desert...or have hot rum.

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys are going to get fat cooking all these good meals.
I do remember that the heat shield was still on the pipe and I think there was even a tiny gap between the holder plate and the shield.
Don't remeber if he has a can or not, but that too looks like a good spot.
Thanks a lot guys, all good info. I'll check it out for him and sure we can make a few adjustments.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put it flat on the bare pipe, just before your exhaust can (won't work with stock can). Between your muff pot bracket/base and the pipe, put a wad of tinfoil. Instead of having connection with the pipe just in the thin spot where the bracket touches it, the wad of tinfoil (3"wide or so) gives more pipe contact and transmits more heat.

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought of something entirely different when I read the thread title..........oops :D

Hah, before I posted on here, I googled a bit, and surprise surprise, a lot of interesting things come up with the word "muff" :p

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys are going to get fat cooking all these good meals.
I do remember that the heat shield was still on the pipe and I think there was even a tiny gap between the holder plate and the shield.
Don't remeber if he has a can or not, but that too looks like a good spot.
Thanks a lot guys, all good info. I'll check it out for him and sure we can make a few adjustments.

I had mine just before the Y pipe and I dint cut the heat shield and it cooked dogs in about 2 hour maybe 3 tops...

maybe get it closer to Y pipe, I think mine acyualy just touched it on the edge or cut a small piece of insulation out.

As well make sure that snow isnt sitting on top of the pot as that big hole under the headlight lands on top of the muff pot so its contantly meting and cooling the pot.

good luck

Top Bottom