Mtn Sled for Towing???

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
We pulled the alot of the materials for a cabin reno up to the dome mtn with 800summits. One trip was 800lbs of concrete blocks in a skimmer, this was a rough trail that hadn't been groomed in a long time too:)

Another trip was a log bunk with 40 16' 2x4s on it and the ass end dragging. The trail up was hard pack and we had to stop once ever 3 miles or so to cool the sleds down. The meadow crossing was softer, but we kept them on the tracks and they did just fine.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 for what it is worth. I have been pulling a trail groomer around my place with a 550 fan for the last few years. Packed with snow - say 500lbs. (cause I have to jack it when it is stuck). Has worked pretty well - count on a belt a yaer - no hills. Martin's (marketing geniuses they are) "loaned" me a tracked Gator. I will never pull anything with a snowmobile again. Lock the differential on that thing and it will pull the Queen Mary out of dry-dock. the Gator has the most carrying capacity of any side-by-side. Plus - easy to at least put a windshield on. You can get one of the original HPX carbed models for $5-6000 with low hours. Count on $4k for the tracks. At least you have something you can use all year.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you guys for all of the great advice!!

The tank is a 65gal tank with electric pump, so full weight would be around 660 # of Methanol and about 100# for the tank for a total of 750ish#

We also will carry a deep cycle battery about 50#, so we are thinking total weight including skimmer would be around 900#

After reading all the posts I think we will do some testing with the M7, but keep looking at a 'work' sled. Having a hard time finding a Skandic, but talked to Terry at T&T tonight and he has a VK540 with a 2 speed tranny, 20" track. Sounds like it might fit the bill perfect.

Again, thanks for all the input guys, it is much appreciated!!

Didn't think you were talking about that much weight! Holy cow, you better get a work sled.

Top Bottom