Mtn Sled for Towing???

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Ok, need some feedback and opinions here...

Looking at setting up a skimmer to haul Methanol for a client. Now in a perfect world we would go pick up a Skandic or something like it...a true work sled. My question is this...Would a mtn sled like an M7 handle this kind of towing. The snow is deep, and the M7 gets around perfectly right now, but can it pull a skimmer or would I risk doing some sort of damage to the sled??

Thanks all

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can get lower gears i'd say giver!!! big boy springs for the back and cut the track down to 1.5 to give it a super stiff lug, and re-enforce the tunnel extension for the oopsies!! I think the bearcat runs a chaincase with 2 ranges? or maybe its a moded diamond drive............?

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
If you can get lower gears i'd say giver!!! big boy springs for the back and cut the track down to 1.5 to give it a super stiff lug, and re-enforce the tunnel extension for the oopsies!! I think the bearcat runs a chaincase with 2 ranges? or maybe its a moded diamond drive............?

I appreciate that advice, but I am asking more if I could do it 'AS IS' as this would be a short term fix for all the snow we have right now...

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we used to use regular mtn sleds with hitches on them to tow skimmers full of gas up the mtn(on a non-groomed trail). There are some mtn's out to the west were there are cabins that you can stay overnight in so people will go up and just stay up on the mtn sleddin for like 3-4days. As long as you get a proper hitch for it so that it hooks the bumper to the tunnel i don't see why it would be an issue.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you just going to throw a barrel on a skimmer or break it down to J cans? How about a SXS with tracks and throw the barrel on the back? I know I know you want to just run what you have, just throwing out ideas. Everytime i have pulled a sled out its been a belt in a few hours, flat land and having constant speeds i dont see an issue. Your snowcat could just boogie in and out, put a 200 gallon tank on it and do a circuit!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Looking at setting up a skimmer to haul Methanol for a client. Now in a perfect world we would go pick up a Skandic or something like it...a true work sled. My question is this...Would a mtn sled like an M7 handle this kind of towing. The snow is deep, and the M7 gets around perfectly right now, but can it pull a skimmer or would I risk doing some sort of damage to the sled??

Thanks all

Put a heavy duty bumper on the Doo with their hitch and get at it! Don't see a problem. I pull my "skimmer" with gas and other things quite often.

PS You can't use the stock bumper as seen on the other machine.

Attachments

• 100_3294.jpg
    100_3294.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 100 gal plastic tank and a 6.5 hp honda with a cat pump on it for pumping methanol at my wells and we had troubles with shocks and twisting tunnels on an m8 and on 800xp. We even stripped rivets out of the tunnel extension on my apex. Bought a tundra last year and havent had a problem since. The big problem is when the tank gets down to half full and starts sloshing back and forth it puts alot of strain on the back end of the sled. once you get your fittings and hose and pump full of fuel and oil and tools and tank of meth and then all the spare space fills with snow which then turns into ice from methanol leaking and heat from the pump it gets pretty heavy pretty fast!
just get a towing machine like a bearcat or skandic or something like that... IMO

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a heavy duty hitch, break the trail first if the snow is too deep and carry an extra belt. You may want to get some good carnuba wax and wax the runners on the skimmer.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks all

I pull a fiberglass enclosed skiboos thing with a couple of kids (sometimes 4) that weighs around 3- 400 pounds with my 05 REV. I usually pull them about 15 km's one way on groomed trails or forest service roads.

It works and I haven't had any problems. Is it right (probably not) but you do what you have to do. The kids get out and have a great time in the woods and that is the most important part. I haven't had any premature belt failures or anything like that.

A heavy duty bumper I would say is a must though, and the rear suspension is not happy on my sled!

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the kids 550 (fan) RMK with a 136x2 will pull maybe 300-400 pounds in the "snow coach" we have! but that is on the groomed trail with some hills .....back in 1998 in brooks when I worked at A&E.... I built a skimmer to haul a tidy tank.....it was used to haul methonal also but it HAD to be pulled with a Skandic 503 Super Wide Track......I just sold my Alpine Twin track and it will pull a house if needed. there is another one for sale on casnet or kijiji around here.....if interested IM me and I will find it for you! but as for a mountain sled I would say your good for 5-6oo pounds ( like towning an other sled) but you will be putting on a belt every trip. dont think you will be hauling a tidy tank on a skimmer! how much you planning on hauling?

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the client going to use this to break hydrates or just fill his tanks in the field? like i say its the big tank sloshing that caused problems. j cans are a totally different story or 5gal pails.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They way all sleds are made lightweight nowadays I would not do it. I have seen sleds with bent tunnels just pulling out another sled. I know some of this is due to the way people tie them, but this is not steady towing. Just look at Ferniesnows tunnel. If you wreck your tunnel, you are out riding time as well as major money to fix the sled. If you get a Skandic or Tundra with a 20 inch track, you should not wreck it and can recover most of your money back when you are done and sell it. A lot less risk.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Thanks to all of you guys for all of the great advice!!

The tank is a 65gal tank with electric pump, so full weight would be around 660 # of Methanol and about 100# for the tank for a total of 750ish#

We also will carry a deep cycle battery about 50#, so we are thinking total weight including skimmer would be around 900#

After reading all the posts I think we will do some testing with the M7, but keep looking at a 'work' sled. Having a hard time finding a Skandic, but talked to Terry at T&T tonight and he has a VK540 with a 2 speed tranny, 20" track. Sounds like it might fit the bill perfect.

Again, thanks for all the input guys, it is much appreciated!!

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old RX1 pulled out a buffalo in about 1 1/2ft of snow worked well, only use a lariat tie to the bumped..which they have quite a bit of stretch. Another time with the M8 pulled out a white tail, and mule deer at the same time with the snow bungee it worked well no damage done...:d..Probably not the smartest thing to do but I guess you never know unless you try it once.

Top Bottom