Mountain sleds??

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When's the last time a short block came up in conversation with cat owners. I ride 2 yami turbos and have seen it happen time and again. Doos go boom. So since a yami turbo might not be in the budget for this fella. M8 all day!! A boosted m8 will out last any 800r Or you can trust Maxwell

easy big fella you are going to anger the great one.
i will apologize for him maxwell. he didnt mean all the bad stuff he said about doos. he is sorry. j/k

but like it has been said ride a few and get what you like. they all have isues does not matter what breed it is. polaris 800s go boom everyone says, i know guys it happened too, but also know guys running boosted 800s for years and never an issue, doos go boom riding doos and ride with doo guys some doo some dont, the only doos i have redone was my own i bought blown up so was a given other one was a cold seize, driver error. most issues with any sled engine failure can eventually be traced back to a driver/operator f/up.
if you decide four stroke its yammy all the way no doubt but a 4 stroke needs a turbo or else it is just a heavy gutless pos. jmo. 1000cc 150hp 600+lb pos. but turbo and put on a diet and your getting somewhere. jmo
either way good luck and happy sledding.
at least we know you have your priorities in check, get a good job, buy a sweet toy lol.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
easy big fella you are going to anger the great one.
i will apologize for him maxwell. he didnt mean all the bad stuff he said about doos. he is sorry. j/k

but like it has been said ride a few and get what you like. they all have isues does not matter what breed it is. polaris 800s go boom everyone says, i know guys it happened too, but also know guys running boosted 800s for years and never an issue, doos go boom riding doos and ride with doo guys some doo some dont, the only doos i have redone was my own i bought blown up so was a given other one was a cold seize, driver error. most issues with any sled engine failure can eventually be traced back to a driver/operator f/up.
if you decide four stroke its yammy all the way no doubt but a 4 stroke needs a turbo or else it is just a heavy gutless pos. jmo. 1000cc 150hp 600+lb pos. but turbo and put on a diet and your getting somewhere. jmo
either way good luck and happy sledding.
at least we know you have your priorities in check, get a good job, buy a sweet toy lol.

I got a good job :d now I just need the good toy haha! I'm not in the market quite yet, just seeing what's out there. If the right deal came along yeah id pick one up ASAP, but I don't plan to take the plunge until October.

I also have to pay for insurance In September and thats never any fun.

Sent from my white iPhone 4

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote is:
1.Cat proclimb
2. Polaris Pro
3. Skidoo E-Tech
4. Yami Nitro

I have alway owned skidoo and felt that they had the best mountain setup by far. Althogh they have always taken more maintenance than any other brand. (Clutches are a nightmare, bad piston rings, pto crank bearings with iso grease.) Some of these issues have been ironed out in the last couple years though. But after riding both new chassis from Cat and Polaris....I would say Skidoo is falling behind. Time for a chassis change and a diet.
But they all have thier good points and bad.
polaris could use some more power, and a little better engine reliability-chassis is awesome!
Cat could use a diet...even the new chassis isn't quite as light as it could be-motor is bulletproof!
In the end, try to ride some and see what feels most comfortable. And a good dealer could definatly help no matter which brand you get!

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of my good friends dad owns an arctic cat dealer, so I could get good service and a deal probably on a cat.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of my good friends dad owns an arctic cat dealer, so I could get good service and a deal probably on a cat.

Realistically, dealer support would play a huge difference in my decision. I bought a skidoo when Cranbrook had a dealer, well, dealer stopped dealing BRP and now I need to order parts from Lethbridge. My next sled will be a cat, and not by choice, but by neccesity.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Realistically, dealer support would play a huge difference in my decision. I bought a skidoo when Cranbrook had a dealer, well, dealer stopped dealing BRP and now I need to order parts from Lethbridge. My next sled will be a cat, and not by choice, but by neccesity.

That does make good sense

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would you buy your sled based of dealer service? I would buy the sled that best fits my style of riding (tree smacking, rolling etc) so power to weight would be my biggest factor. That's why I would buy a doo.

Or unless grease scares you and tthink twisting wrenches is for 400 pound 6 foot Turbo wrench monkeys.. then sure.. buy a sled from the dealer that will fix it for you. Just saying.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride doo for the same reason that Jr does. And I drive 3 hours to my dealer cause it's the best one out there.

sent from my android

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that it USED to be the best one out there. Better than an IQ or an M sled. Not the case anymore. Cat and Poo are making some waves! Thats why I dumped mine and am trying something new. I don't get all you brand loyal people. Move around a bit, what you learn may suprise you!

As far as a good dealer close by...what about buying parts? belts? oil? warranty? etc?

ok, maybe I am too used to owning skidoo's all my life....we all know they like parts!

Last edited:

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that it USED to be the best one out there. Better than an IQ or an M sled. Not the case anymore. Cat and Poo are making some waves! Thats why I dumped mine and am trying something new. I don't get all you brand loyal people. Move around a bit, what you learn may suprise you!

As far as a good dealer close by...what about buying parts? belts? oil? warranty? etc?

ok, maybe I am too used to owning skidoo's all my life....we all know they like parts!

All my gear says ski doo on it. Can't switch now!

sent from my android

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All my gear says ski doo on it. Can't switch now!

sent from my android
Haha....mine too! Learning it is pretty expensive for all new gear. Plus the Doo posters, all the doo tools, all the parts, I have got a lot of money tied up in stuff I can't use. Well maybe I will be wrong....I might want to hang on to all that stuff if I decide go back that way!

Last edited:

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha....mine too! Learning it is pretty expensive for all new gear. Plus the Doo posters, all the doo tools, all the parts, I have got a lot of money tied up in stuff I can't use. Well maybe I will be wrong....I might want to hang on to all that stuff if I decide go back that way!

2013 ;)

sent from my android

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Answer me this. Why would he want a cat?
Considering their 1000's have the same power as a stock 800 etec, and the cats are heavier.... I see no benefit.
If you think that I'm delusional, that's fine. Go ahead. I'm OK with that. I'll continue beating cats.

sent from my android

There it is again, the heavier thing......? My 2011 M8HO 153" with an aftermarket can wet weight is within 3lbs of my buddies 2011 800etec 154" with an aftermarket can wet weight up on the hoist in his shop, and when we rode revy in march both sleds were almost identical in climbing and boondocking through the trees. The edge went to the doo in climbing due to wider track, and the edge in boondocking went to the cat and both of us have the same riding experience..... so unless your comparing to a pro, weight is no different. As for the power thing, an 800HO has more HP than an etec, and cat don't even make a 1000 anymore........ maybe you should get out of carbon once and a while

Last edited:

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, if I got a doo doesn't that mean I can carry 3 extra pounds of cargo to be equal to a cat? :d

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, if I got a doo doesn't that mean I can carry 3 extra pounds of cargo to be equal to a cat? :d

Definitely can, atleast 3-4 more beer;)......... a guy could probably use those extra beer after a day on a doo, kinda like a few beers after work......LOL:cool:

Top Bottom