Mountain riding Group size MIN/Max

xmsummit154

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering how few or many guys you will ride with in the mountains?? What is the Max or Min that is safe on the hills.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depends on the type of riding you are doing, four is a nice number, riding in pairs is never a bad idea. Try to keep it six or less, my preferences only.

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 to 6 seems to work the best, helps if all riders in group are the same level...

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^
Same and quality of sleds and rider ability close to same for area riding in.

Revgirl

Reaction score
We usually ride with 4-6 ppl any more then 6 can be very busy.

Yes I ride like a girl, cuz I am one!
Revgirl😎

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had 7 this weekend.
The worst part is when 4 of 7 are stuck. It looks really bad.
3 is great. Everyone tends to stick together and help each other. More than 5 and you start losing people every now and then.

I like to pair up no matter what. I'll watch for guys that head off from the group and follow them.

Everyone had garmin rino's this weekend and it was a snap to find the missing/stuck guys.

In the end, we make any size group work but we did have more sled to sled collisions than normal. Some people can't seem to turn an RX1.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive ridden with 13-15 in valemount area for 4 years. Been in some places that people are shocked a saskatchewan rider is where they are, then ill break it to them there is 12-14 more of us.

I usually am alone it seems. All have radios and it all kind of works out.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had 7 this weekend.
The worst part is when 4 of 7 are stuck. It looks really bad.
3 is great. Everyone tends to stick together and help each other. More than 5 and you start losing people every now and then.

I like to pair up no matter what. I'll watch for guys that head off from the group and follow them.

Everyone had garmin rino's this weekend and it was a snap to find the missing/stuck guys.

In the end, we make any size group work but we did have more sled to sled collisions than normal. Some people can't seem to turn an RX1.

About the same. If we ever ran into trouble I feel my chances are better with 2 more digging me out than one. 3 is my preferred min.

I've ridden in groups of 8-12 before I'm always looking over my shoulder and don't enjoy he day as much. Really depends on the area, but 6 would be my max.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 is my absolute minimum, but I prefer 3. A good number for a max is 6, but 8 isn't too bad either. Like others here, we tend to break up into smaller groups of 2 or 3.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive ridden with 13-15 in valemount area for 4 years. Been in some places that people are shocked a saskatchewan rider is where they are, then ill break it to them there is 12-14 more of us.

I usually am alone it seems. All have radios and it all kind of works out.

Hey Just cause your from Sask doesnt mean you cant ride the mountains. We have a group of 4 of us that all like to ride together. We are all about the same rider level and all ride similar machines one turbo. There are alot of times these Sask boys are plazing the trail. This past weekend only 2 of us were able to make the trip. We had a blast just took longer to dig out when we got stuck. We were off playing in the trees and didnt see to many people in there. For the most part i like to ride with at least 3 and not many more then 6. If you all at the same level it is easier to have more in your group. My .02

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 of us ride together quite often, but we tend to ride a lot more cautiously than when there's a bigger group. 3 to 5 is great. Any more than that & it normally turns into a gong show - like trying to herd cats.

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 is a nice size, any more and typically we go looking for a few that went tree riding somewhere away from the group. usually 2 doos and 2 cats, then them cats still have a way home :)

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Three to six is our preference. Four is ideal since if somebody gets hurt, one person can stay with them and the other two can go for help (and help each other if one gets stuck on the way for help). More than six gets to be a lot of waiting as the impatient ones take off and then need to get herded back. Just like herding cats as mentioned above. I have gone with just two but tailor riding to skill & experience levels. With newbies or kids/early teens we never go with just two. At the very least we would then ride up the trail and look for someone in a similar situation we could tag along with.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride with 2 quite often however we have both been riding for 20+ years in the mountains. 3 is definitely a preferred number just for safety sake and if the avalanche hazard is up at all we usually don't ride without 3 or more. On the upper end i have to agree with everyone that 6 is a nice number. Any more and you are constantly searching for someone.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually my group is 4 but we all agree that 6 would be the max we'd like to have to keep an eye on. For the amount of time I get stuck I think I'd die of a heart attack with just two people :(

craptabulous

Reaction score
Three is a minimum . I have ridden with 9 but we would break into smaller groups , to me that is key usually in a large group you can find a few riders who are on the same page as you . I wouldnt be to excited with more than ten . Generally i ride in a group of 4 or 5 .

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Three is a safe minimum if one gets hurt or mech breakdown occurs to get off of mountain. Two is a bit risky if if you are off the beaten path. I find that after 6 you are just looking for people even when you have set meetng points. Have done groups of 10 but you a just there to be a group herder all day.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
when doing larger groups, or any group, you have to make sure that people LOOK BEHIND THEM to make sure the person that was behind them is still there, and don't be passing your own group members on the trail, stay in the order, that way if the leader stops and looks back he knows that Fred is behind Joe, well if Joe is there but Fred's not the leader is likely going to wonder where the hell Fred got to. Look out for one another when in your group...... Cobra 2-ways are an affordable and semi reliable communication medium if someone breaks down as well!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on the riding. Technical tight tree stuff no more than 4. No less than 3. But touring around open backcountry we have had groups as large as 15+. As long as your exploring bowl to bowl etc and there isn't a lot of tricky obstacles it dense trees it's no problem to stay together and manage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Top Bottom