Mountain riding Group size MIN/Max

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two minimum. In my mind, as sounds with most, four like minded with similar skill set riders is the best.

Any more, and you can spend too much time keeping track of everyone.

As mentioned, radio communication really is nice, especially with mapping. However, I disagree with relying solely on them. It is frustrating when people in the group just bugger off, without physically telling were they are sort of going, in hopes nothing happens to there, or everyone elses radio. Or if something happens that you can not use your radio.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 in our group. Any more and it seems like you are always looking for someone. Rode last week with just me and a buddy. Didn't seem right. More work for me when we got stuck. Lol.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3-6 is where I like to be. Two works but can be rough if something goes wrong. 3-4 is the best, anymore and the snow gets smashed up in the play areas pretty quick.

mctrailboss

Reaction score
I ride with 2 minimum and again like everyone else this is with another experienced rider. you can put a lot of miles on this way. 3 is ideal and 6 is max. We all bought in helmet vhf radios last year with great range and ability to talk while riding. what a game changer. every once in a while we rode with guys that didn't have them and it got very frustrating. to the point that I bought extra radios and insisted they ride with my wifes helmet or use a shoulder mic. everybody that spent a day with us using a shoulder mic ordered radios when we got back and more than 20 of us have them now. rhinos and gmrs radios are good but both users have to be stopped with sleds off to hear whats going on and the range is limited. These were a big boost in safety as well as you always had communication with the group. we had a guy fall in a tree well with sled still running above him and no way to reach it. One in a creek off the beaten path. and many more less urgent instances that were non issues do to communication.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rode for about 10 years with 3 of us,which was a good group,equel riders,sleds all compatiable sleds,lots of good times,had 4 others get into mountain riding,all good guys but niticied your always watching others were there headed to and always on the look out,very enjoyable but would not want to any more in the group I think 7 would be the max, have rode with 2 but can get into sticky situation very quickly. u

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It depends how rambunctious they all are. You could have 20 of us older guys and have not a lick of trouble. OOOH Damm us 45 and up ARE the rambunctious one's. You don't want too many of us in one group, it makes the younger guys nervous. Lol

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We go out as a group of 2 often. Lots I times and more then that is difficult when we are scouting new ground. I really proffer 3 and no more then 8 if we can.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done from by myself (never a good idea) to a group of 20. Large groups is too hard to manage. everyone has different riding abilities, wants to do different things, plus its easier to lose track of who is who and who went where.
I prefer groups of 4 best, easy to manage. Can still go in a big group and split off into smaller groups at the cabin, with a meet back time.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm about the same usually 4-6 and if its more than that we usually kinda pair up and every once in awhile we all wind up back together. If we're gonna travel to a different area or something then single file and each guy keeps an eye on the one behind

Sent from my iPhone using

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's usually 2 in my group but always meet up with others up top. Been in trouble before and needed 5 guys to pull my sled out of a tree.

4 is a nice size but don't mind up to 10.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My husband and I go out quite a bit, the two of us, then we have our Ymir posse which is anywhere between 3 of us to 5 including our bro Toad. We all know each other so incredibly well, it flows. Hand signals, and just a basic understanding between all of us is wicked. Sometimes if you add the wrong person.. one person.. who is not on the same wavelength and mindset as us, it can feel like 82million people added.. So much work, and frustration. It's not the stucks so much, it's more the attitude. I'm blessed, the guys we ride with keep a close eye on me.. I provide ample humour and I feed them, so they truly like when I'm along.

When we do big group rides, especially ladies rides, I break everyone into Groups.. similar skill set, with a Team leader, and the buddy system. The Newbie ride rocked it.. we had soooooo freakin many people.. but it ran smooth, I felt a bit like a border collie.. but it was wicked awesome.

With the kideroonies.. I love taking all of them all out. Brookie and Leo are fantastic riders now, Leo is about 6'2" and has a strong back.. his siblings love our human crane.

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
Some of the sweetest riding I've ever done is just 2 of us, my Dad and myself, scouting or breaking trail somewhere. It's like we don't have to think about what the other guy is doing or going to do so much, we just know.

Otherwise groups of 4 to 8, even numbers preferred because we run the buddy system with everyone.

Top Bottom