Motor Options

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after 7 good years, 8000km's, and one top end the REV decided that it didn't need a functioning crank shaft any more. So am going to need to get a new motor for the ole girl.

Just wondering on options for a engine.

Fix or buy new? Where do I buy parts etc. etc.....

Last edited:

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Maxwell, that looks like the way to go for sure but I am running on a budget these days. Anyone got anything used and working sitting on a work bench anywhere? Probably the end of my sledding season I am afraid. I wasn't even out sledding really, I was just heading up a forest service road on my way to do some back country skiing.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. Set of pistons 300 and a new brp crank is 750. If you or someone you know is comfortable doing it that's about as cheap as it gets. Or I have had a local shop here take my complete bottom end replace the bearings for about 700$ and re assemble. Then 300 for pistons and bolt it together!

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do have a perfectly good 2006 M7 as well (my wifes) I could use, but to be honest it is not any fun to ride compared with the REV. Thought you might appreciate that little tidbit Maxwell :)

nielsy

Reaction score
shortblocks for ho's has come down in price

Last edited:

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So bought a motor from out east, a rebuild from CV Tech. $1899 for my motor and I get $800 for my core. so $1199 all in which I think is pretty reasonable and I have heard good things about their work rebuilding motors.

Now about putting the new motor back in.....

Is there a way to check to make sure the oil pump is working prior to engine installation?

Anything else you would do while the motor is out? I am going to go at the belly pan with some de-greaser and clean everything up first.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted out. When i did mine I followed BRP's bleeding procedures out of the book. And I left the throttle cable off the throttle bodies (carbs in your case) and held the flipper to the bars while it idled for about 10min. It wasn't getting any throttle but it was holding the pump full open. You can also reach in and just hold the pump wide open but that's a PITA.

nielsy

Reaction score
if I was you I would be checking my creditcard because the price is 1899 + 800 for core and if something is missing it's 100 for bolts 500 for cases 200 for crank and 200 for cylinders

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would not have gone with cv tech. they do not have a good rep. i have been told by many people/shops. there reason behind this and it makes sense is due to the fact back east there are alot more sleds then say out here. parts such as cyl's and cranks have been rebuilt/replated so many times that tere no longer good. studs will pull threads and crank throws loose there pinch for bearing pins. also cv tech uses cheap bearings on there cranks. i can buy main bearings for around $9.00 from my suppliers which are from cv tech or i can buy the same bearing but a koyo bearing for $40.00 this just goes to show there quality of parts and workmanship. i recently bought a crank for my 2007 800r from mongoose macine based out of vancouver bc. there a well known shop and always rebuilt your crank in house, now there buying cranks from cv tech instead unless you make a note you want your original crank rebuilt in house. my crank i bought from them lasted four rides and the pto rod bearing burnt up.

i am now on the fence on having them rebuild a virgin ski-doo crank with koyo bearings due to the fact they buy there rods from cv tech to do the rebuild.

just letting you know what i learnd this week.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only doo cranks.

Said it before. And ill say it again.

from my HTC

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All good advice, I am not sure what Nielsy is getting at. You are saying these are the prices if I fail to send in certain parts of my core? As for reliability well there are always good reports and bad reports from different people. I know someone who had good luck with their rebuild and the price is quite good. We shall see.......

I have talked to the people at CV and I can say that so far their customer support has been good.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just chatted with the good folks at CV Tech because I was little concerned with what I heard here. They have a one year warranty on the rebuild. That is the same as BRP offers on their short blocks, so I think my decision to go with them is valid. Of course the hassle of getting a warranty can suck but at least they offer it. I am not so sure that other engine re-builders offer that kind of warrantyon their product.

Just putting the information out there as I get it.

Top Bottom