morrisey - notch - corbin townsite??????

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Heading out tomorrow and was just wondering which off loading and riding area would be the best. thanks

For the smooth trail and a guaranteed place to turn around I would recommmend Coal Creek. Go past the main staging areas until and find the snow line. It was reported that up Morrissey to the Blueberry was good for driving and staging. Don't know what they were driving tho'. Someone else will chime in I'm sure.

spitfire

Reaction score
Hope that bad leg heals up. Thanks for all the helpful info over the past year.
Not a great year for riding but hopefully we will get a good spring dump so we can ride a little longer yet.

Hirmkin

Reaction score
We were in Morrisey last weekend I think it was about km 25. I know it was pass the 2nd bridge. After that trail was in very good shape.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and a bud might be coming down this weekend. We don't know the area too well and in the past we've staged at the Corbin townsite went south then east.

These Rolling Hills - where is it? Guessing Marten Ck or the Coal Ck pass? Sounds like it's west of the Corbin road before you get to the townsite.

Also I'm trying to guesstimate where 24km is on Morrissey Rd. This path on GglEarth is 20km long and I hit a T-intersection - do I go N or S here, or am I way off?

Attachments

• Morrissey 20km.jpg
    Morrissey 20km.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 111

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and a bud might be coming down this weekend. We don't know the area too well and in the past we've staged at the Corbin townsite went south then east.

These Rolling Hills - where is it? Guessing Marten Ck or the Coal Ck pass? Sounds like it's west of the Corbin road before you get to the townsite.

Also I'm trying to guesstimate where 24km is on Morrissey Rd. This path on GglEarth is 20km long and I hit a T-intersection - do I go N or S here, or am I way off?

You can get into the Rolling Hills from Corbin, but that's the long way. Never been myself, but have seen the pipeline from on top of the rolling hills on a clear day. The Morrissey trail takes you right past the far south end of the hills.

IMO, not an area that's great if visibility gets bad. People with a poor sense of direction could easily get confused and it would a long time before you found your way out.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

The 24 km marker is 24 km's from the Elko sawmill. All of those markers are for logging personel. If you want the Rolling Hills you can use Marten Creek and Coal Creek Pass to the Coal Creek road. When you get to FSA marker #115 (6"x12" marker on a tree truck) at a switch back, go straight into the Rolling Hills. As Shibby says, if visibility is poor, you could spend some time in there trying to find your way out.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I'm not a map maker by any means but tried to pin down the area for you from Coal Creek (Fernie) and from Morrisey Road (West side of Fernie). This image should give you an idea of the main areas. Stop in town and you can buy a great trail map at the Husky or just about anywhere in Fernie. These maps show all the staging areas, trails etc. Maps are $10. Just ask FernieSnow and he can hook you up with a place to get a map from. Corbin is off towards the top right of the screen and the easy to follow line up from the notch heading up towards the top is the pipeline.

Attachments

• Rolling Hills.jpg
    Rolling Hills.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 108

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input much appreciated! Was there life before Google Earth :) Give a wave if you see us this weekend - black Renegade and black Summit XP. And sorry for the threadjack spitfire.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we're here at Best Western and they have the $10 (excellent) maps so picked one up. Too bad the weather network pulled a fast one on everybody and the 3 days of weekend sun is now solid rain/snow. Oh well hopefully we can see something today..

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get into the Rolling Hills from Corbin, but that's the long way. Never been myself, but have seen the pipeline from on top of the rolling hills on a clear day. The Morrissey trail takes you right past the far south end of the hills.

IMO, not an area that's great if visibility gets bad. People with a poor sense of direction could easily get confused and it would a long time before you found your way out.

Agreed about the getting lost part in the Rolling Hills. I was there on a sunny day 4 weeks ago and we got lost for an hour. Good thing it was noon and not 6pm.

Hopefully this comment helps somebody one day: If you ever get lost in the rolling hills, climb up as high as you can, find the ridge/spine (you will know once riding in there as the RH's is an area that follows beloe this long mountain ridge) and follow it back west. It will eventually lead you to an open area where you are sure to find the trail by looking for the powerline or keep heading west if bad vis. You will have to run into the trail if you do this as the trail surrounds the RH's like a horseshoe. Do not work east if your unfamiliar with the area, even though thats the way the cabin is.

Our adventure we had GPS and tried dropping down the east end of the RH's where all those drainage/halfpipes are; and we were only 60m from the trail but the bush won and we had to climb out and follow the ridge back.

PS- Buy a map as well.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as was mentioned above, staging is @ km24, but not 24km up the road. i'm estimating about 11km of actual driving. snow line was still at km24 yesterday.....

Hoots

Reaction score
AVALANCHE !!!! Was out to the notch on friday and there was a small slide near the notch....the wind is drifting over the top and there is overhanging drifts. Just thought everyone should know,,,, BE CAREFULL!!!!:nono::nono:

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AVALANCHE !!!! Was out to the notch on friday and there was a small slide near the notch....the wind is drifting over the top and there is overhanging drifts. Just thought everyone should know,,,, BE CAREFULL!!!!:nono::nono:

that area always comes down a bit,, see all the lil trees,, they never get too old sitting there....and if you keep going right a bit I have seen small movements there as well from wind loading....

coming up pipeline before the notch to the right and down to the lake that whole side has come down and is loading again,, the cornices are the size of houses in some spots waiting to fall,, but we never ride that ridge it always has action and is pretty obvious but I have seen some silly people over the years.

otherwise snow was fairly stable in the areas we rode,,,

bad angle but here is a pic

gmc 017.jpg

Top Bottom