Met the Snowmobile patrol today!!

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stopping a good up standing samaritan for a so called traffic violation is way easier than actually having to try and apprehend a thief, drug trafficer or prostitute murder........

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt that the US permit you bought is valid in Alberta ,as i went thru something similar while bringing a vehicle back from BC a few years ago. If I bought the permit in BC, it was only good till I hit the BC / Alberta border, then I had to have an Alberta permit to carry me thru to home. Those temporary permits are not multi- jurisdicational, you are required by law to purchase one for each province you travel thru. Most registry offices know little about the legalities of the permits they sell, I found out the hard way as well. Unless laws have changed recently, I do believe you will find this out as well.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haggis
I am shocked about your recent events ( I also live south of Hwy 14 on RR 224). I feel that the police and bylaw officers have recently changed in their focus lately and are showing little compassion and good judgement. I agree that the officier ( Constable *******) was far from pleasent when he ran thru our subdivision a few weeks ago and wrote up warnings because he followed snowmobile tracks into ours yards. Constable ******* pounded on our door so hard that is scared the crap out of my wife and sent my 3 yr old son scrambling to his room wondering what monster was beating down the door. When I got home I checked that the doorbell was working and it is only 8 inches away from door. I guess it's time to move to a different county. I really don't want to complain unless it's worth it. I don't hardly ever call the cops to report anything- because the first thing they ask you is what is your name and address. this info goes into the data base and then they ask you about the reason that you called. I really don't want to be known by the local authorities because it never ever works out. In general I very much support the RCMP but I think that they are mis-guided by the bylaws and direction they get from the county. Again I must emphasize that since we have been in the county for 13 years - the attitude of the authorities has changed. Enough rant from me - good luck with your tickets. I feel that if they were trying to send a message that one $230 ticket would have worked - but if you were decent to the cop - why give you another $230 ticket for the same offense ? ( I know that you were decent to the cop)

Last edited by a moderator:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, very interesting. When I brought my truck in I was told explicity that the transfer plate was valid for the specified time frame. I had insurance, the transfer documents, bill of sale and title in the truck just in case. So why wouldn't it be valid? How can you even get an Alberta transfer plate if it hasn't even been registered in Canada, let alone AB!? I spent days driving it around getting things done. Followed by cops a couple times and had no issues. Not even a second look. Not sure I'm right, but like I said, I was told it was valid.

Curious to hear what you find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No he wanted to do more than prove a point - there were actually 3 numbers out from the first ticket to the second one - so I think he was writing tickets for anything he could think of and then realised not having a Bill of Sale on me was not illegal, nor was a dress shirt worn with jeans, nor was stubble on my face on a Sunday morning!

I am also very supportive of the RCMP and I suppose similar to the few bad sledders that cause problems for the rest of us, that applies to this situation also.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok - went to the registry on Wye Rd today with the US temporary plate. They could not tell me if it was valid or not, but took down the information on the permit and are going to check into it for me. They said that some are valid from the US and some are not. Again, the officer that stopped me did not even look at the permit which concerned me. If Alberta Registry did not know if it was valid or not - how did he?

Secondly, I contacted the dealership in the US and they informed me that it is valid in Canada. They have done over 150 drive homes to Canada on that type of plate and never had an issue. Really confused - but will wait and hear what Registry office says tomorrow.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the Peace Officer was having a bad day and decided to pass it on. Might be time for a chat with his supervisor.

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks sorry for your bad luck, i got a nice ticket at the tete jaene scales when i took the family to clemina.

What did they ticket you for? Overweight? Curious....

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are morons in every line of work. I'm not saying they are all morons.... but there are a bunch that give the definition.... a whole new meaning... :eek: :(

Few years ago.... I was living in an apartment complex... one night... approx 15 vehicles were vandalized... because I was up (0300 hours) and practicing my golf swing I reported the incident to Edmonton's finest. My truck had the steering column destroyed making it un-drivable. The cop taking the statement/phone call's response was for me to drive it downtown so they could maybe finger print it. After repeated attemps to enlighten him (and failing) I finally asked if the only manner of receiving police protection was to open a donut shop.... he never responsed, I hung up.

Feb. 07/08 I witnessed a vehicular incident in Edmonton. Since the resulting impact left one vehicle within two feet of my vehicle, I surveyed the scene and dialed 911. Eventually the call was answered, details were exchanged and I stated a police car was needed, to which they put me on hold. Then came back and gave me a non-emergency number to call, which I called, it rang and rang (never was answered). End of the story.... The ambulance and fire department were at the scene (in police time) eons before the cops showed up.... It must have upset their donut feeding frenzy...

I got a few more issues with their attitudes or lack of them, that's for another day...

Since that time, I've had very little use for them. For all the good they do, you could replace 90% with cameras, but wait... the impact on Tim Horton's share prices ..... what to do, what to do...

Haggis
I am shocked about your recent events ( I also live south of Hwy 14 on RR 224). I feel that the police and bylaw officers have recently changed in their focus lately and are showing little compassion and good judgement. I agree that the officier ( Constable *******) was far from pleasent when he ran thru our subdivision a few weeks ago and wrote up warnings because he followed snowmobile tracks into ours yards. Constable ******* pounded on our door so hard that is scared the crap out of my wife and sent my 3 yr old son scrambling to his room wondering what monster was beating down the door. When I got home I checked that the doorbell was working and it is only 8 inches away from door. I guess it's time to move to a different county. I really don't want to complain unless it's worth it. I don't hardly ever call the cops to report anything- because the first thing they ask you is what is your name and address. this info goes into the data base and then they ask you about the reason that you called. I really don't want to be known by the local authorities because it never ever works out. In general I very much support the RCMP but I think that they are mis-guided by the bylaws and direction they get from the county. Again I must emphasize that since we have been in the county for 13 years - the attitude of the authorities has changed. Enough rant from me - good luck with your tickets. I feel that if they were trying to send a message that one $230 ticket would have worked - but if you were decent to the cop - why give you another $230 ticket for the same offense ? ( I know that you were decent to the cop)

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if yu prove these guys wrong, which it looks you might, please don't let it rest. Talk with their bosses and talk with your elected officials. These guys seem to be on some sort of mission. I don't care who you are, give a guy too much power and he is bound to abuse it. Time to pull some of that back.

ramit

Reaction score
They have done over 150 drive homes to Canada. You have to realize what the word home means. When i bought my boat and trailer in the states i was told at the border that once the trailer was home you had to put alberta plates on it before you before you could use it and that included the RIV. So that means not driving it around on the US plate until it was registered

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to sure what to tell you. When I imported my truck from Minnesotta I was told I could keep Minnesotta plates on it for 30 days.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are on the high horse, I just brought 2 trailers and a snowmachine into canada from Montana and the trailer permit was good in alberta for 45 days and waiting for papers to get them registered here and the snowmachine was good for 30 days and had no problem to register it. I know that you cannot get a permit in AB if it is not registered inAB first and the cop should know that. I think he was having a bad day and you looked at him wrong...lol

.08rider

Reaction score
I also bought a motorcycle in the states and my temp plate was valid for the time specified. I was pulled over and the RCMP told me to get plates before it expired. You are legal with insurance. Phone RIV and they will give you the proper DOCS to shove in his mug.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice on here. The Registry got back to me today and indicated that the temporary plate from the dealer is not valid in Canada. Wayzata Nissan says it is - I have no idea which is true - feel like calling the trouble shooter at Global. Will keep you up to date on this one. Seems to be much confusion.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice on here. The Registry got back to me today and indicated that the temporary plate from the dealer is not valid in Canada. Wayzata Nissan says it is - I have no idea which is true - feel like calling the trouble shooter at Global. Will keep you up to date on this one. Seems to be much confusion.

Looks like the registry gave you the "safe" answer. When I imported my Nissan I found the registry to be quite in the dark when it came to the rules around importation. You have in insurance, you have a legally binding "in transit" plate with a specified expiration. What more is there!?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
HEY HAGGIS... DID YOU GO TO THE JUSTICE OF PEACE YET??? THEY ARE IN THE COURTHOUSE, AND THEY KINDA ACT LIKE A LIASON FOR QUESTIONS LIKE YOU HAVE, AND THEY CAN OFFER CHEAPER TICKETS, IF YOU WISH TO PLEAD GUILTY.... I PERSONALLY WOULDN'T AND YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND THE ANSWER. WE DID AN OUT OF PROVINCE CHECK TODAY ON A VEHICLE THAT WAS BROUGHT IN FROM MINNESOTA TODAY, AND ALL HE HAD WAS AN IN TRANSIT STICKER FROM THE STATES ON IT.... WE USED MY DEALER PLATE ANYWAY, BUT HE SAID ALL THROUGH MANITOBA, SASK, AND ALBERTA, HE HAD SEVERAL RCMP'S DRIVING BEHIND HIM, AND NEVER GOT HASSLED... I WOULD CONTACT THE JUSTICE OF PEACE, AND EVEN CONTACT R.I.V. AND MAYBE EVEN ALBERTA DEPT OF HIWAYS.... CALL ME AND I CAN GIVE YOU AN INSIDE PHONE #, IF YOU WANT...........

Reaction score
I too bought a vehicle from the US, and I'll share my kowledge that I know for sure.

The 30 day permit you recieved (for free too, the US allows stealerships to GIVE a 30 day permit to folks). You then HAVE to purchase another permit on the Canadian side. Now one thing you should understand is that a "permit" cannot be used for regular driving, it is meant for driving from point A to point B ONLY and not for going to work, church or whatever. Permits are a means for people to drive from home (or wherever) to a shop to get needed work done and back home. During this time, the office that supplied you with said permit usually will ask you for specific days you need it for, and what route you will be driving, but not always (they are supposed to ask by law as it's illegal to perform regular driving around with said permit). Also during this time, you have to keep the Title and Bill of Sale on hand while driving as this is your only proof that you legally own this vehicle, as well as insurance.
Now I don't know about cross border application, but if you would have bought a permit from Alberta, they would tell you if it was a leagal document for Sask as well.

Keep in mind that Peace Officers are there for one reason only...to uphold the law. They aren't required to have compassion (or grace), although it would be a nice feature. Give some of these guys a bit of power and it literally goes to their head.

My advise from this point is you'll have to show up for court and plead ignorance. The courts are the only place where you'll find compassion and sometimes forgiveness (or at least leaneancy). They will probably point out that it is your responsability to find out the laws for doing something, but if you roll out a story that the US stealership told you that it WAS a leagal document for Can and you thought that this was sufficient, they may give you a break...but you'll have to sound convincing. Give 'er a shot.

Top Bottom