Met the Snowmobile patrol today!!

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is about the size of it - I contacted the dealership in the US and advised them to ensure Canadians coming down have the correct information. The law is the law. The dealership faxed me a letter stating that they believed the permit was valid in Canada - I appreciate the letter and will be taking it to court. I do not see the point in blaming the dealership as that is not going to solve anything here. My best bet is to explain the facts and ask for some mercy. Lesson to all you fellow importers.

Al

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well for anyone that was wondering - I was due to go to court on these charges on Monday - had a call from the RCMP detachment in Sherwood Park today letting me know that all charges have been dropped and I do not have to appear in court on Monday.

I have NO idea what happened but am very thankful!!!!:):):):):)

dakinns

Reaction score
I bought my Toyota Tacoma in the States and brought it back to Canmore in July. Hundreds of Albertans if not thousands have done the same as us. I had the temp permit as well and followed all the rules stipulated on the RIV web site. You should possibly read the RIV criteria to see exactly what Transport Canada recommends for importation and use that as backing to challenge your tickets.

Good luck,

DK

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You didn't ask why?? Sounds like someone just admitted to a mistake they were hoping would just go away.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Sounds like they're out writing tickets for "easy money".Someone realised this wasn't gonna be easy.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well for anyone that was wondering - I was due to go to court on these charges on Monday - had a call from the RCMP detachment in Sherwood Park today letting me know that all charges have been dropped and I do not have to appear in court on Monday.

I have NO idea what happened but am very thankful!!!!:):):):):)[/QUOTEI] think they were just hoping you would pay the ticket and not put up a fight. Maybe someone who handles the books seen that you were going to go to court and didn`t want the RC`s to look stupid.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Great news Haggis...Great.

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its quite possable that the officer who fined oyu for traffic violations had something else on his schedual, the same date for your apperance in court.

some times luck is on your side. my uncle was a police officer for many years in edmonton. he had mentioned that certain offences the oficer has to appear in court the same time you do to fight the tickets / charges. if that officer has something else going on that day which is deemed more important instead of schedualing a new court date which for them is more hassel then violations are worth. they just drop it because the officer cant make the apperance and the judge would throw it out of court anyway should the officer not appear

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
YA, I'VE FOUGHT MORE TRAFFIC TICKETS THAT WAY... EVEN IF I WAS GUILTY OF A SPEEDING OFFENSE, I WOULD SHOW UP AT COURT, AND IF THE OFFICER WASN'T THERE, BECAUSE OF "HIGHER" COMMITMENTS, THEN THE TICKET WOULD BE DROPPED, HOWEVER, IF HE WAS THERE, THEY ALWAYS DROP THE TICKET TO THE NEXT "LESSER" OFFENSE. CONGRATS ON "BEATING" THE TICKET!!! ;) :beer::d:beer:

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I imported a Harley from Arizona this summer, I asked at the registry about taking the bike around town to get my inspections done. They sold me an "In Transit" temporary registration to legally drive the bike to the inspection facility. It was worth it to me, just to avoid the hassle Haggis went through.

Trench:beer:

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Met the Strathcona Snowmobile patrol today!!

Well I must say this has been an interesting Sunday so far $460 dollars in tickets and I wasn't even operating a snowmobile, nor trailering one. I do own 3 snowmobiles which have not seen the snow this year.

I was on the way to church this morning with my family in the Nissan I had just brought in from the States 2 weeks ago. As I was turning onto Hwy 14 east from RR224 - the snowmobile patrol unit was turning south onto RR224 presumably heading down to Ministik to start their patrol. I looked at the truck, turning infront of me, and thought about all the comments I had read on here regarding the waste of tax payers dollars. As I am a die hard mountain guy - I do not ride here in Strathcone county. I pulled onto hwy 14 and saw they were turning their rig around to follow me.

I was pulled over in about a km down the highway and the officer asked why their was no plate on my vehicle. I explained that I had a 30 day permit in the back window from the purchase of the vehicle in the US, I had made the changes to the daytime running lights and would be obtaining a plate shortly before the permit ran out. He explained that the permit in the US is not valid here and I would be receiving tickets and could have my vehicle seized. I said then why did I drive all the way from Minneapolis, Minnesota and have RCMP officers pass me in Saskatchewan and Alberta and not be pulled over. He indicated that likely they were not highway patrol and did not have the juristiction - my thought was and do you?

He did not even look at the sticker in the window and wrote me up a ticket for operating a motor vehicle on highway without registration and operating a motor vehicle with an anauthorized license plate. Each $230.

The officer(s) was far from pleasant. As I was on my way to church I was doing my best to put grace into action, but I am troubled by the fact that 1) he didn't even look at the temporary plate in the window, 2) I had proof of valid insurance on the vehicle, driving license is clean and clearly was not a criminal 3) these officers are paid to patrol snowmobiles and atvs - not highway patrol for motor vehicles. I did feel harrassed by this. He also asked me for a Bill of Sale which I did not have with me in the vehicle - he stated that I required to carry that also (apparantly there was no ticket for that or I would have gotten one). I was not rude nor confrontational in anyway while speaking to the officer.

I now understand all the complaints about these guys on here. Any advice on how to proceed with this one?

Alan

Fight it. take the #$%^er's to court.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score

Well I must say this has been an interesting Sunday so far $460 dollars in tickets and I wasn't even operating a snowmobile, nor trailering one. I do own 3 snowmobiles which have not seen the snow this year.

I was on the way to church this morning with my family in the Nissan I had just brought in from the States 2 weeks ago. As I was turning onto Hwy 14 east from RR224 - the snowmobile patrol unit was turning south onto RR224 presumably heading down to Ministik to start their patrol. I looked at the truck, turning infront of me, and thought about all the comments I had read on here regarding the waste of tax payers dollars. As I am a die hard mountain guy - I do not ride here in Strathcone county. I pulled onto hwy 14 and saw they were turning their rig around to follow me.

I was pulled over in about a km down the highway and the officer asked why their was no plate on my vehicle. I explained that I had a 30 day permit in the back window from the purchase of the vehicle in the US, I had made the changes to the daytime running lights and would be obtaining a plate shortly before the permit ran out. He explained that the permit in the US is not valid here and I would be receiving tickets and could have my vehicle seized. I said then why did I drive all the way from Minneapolis, Minnesota and have RCMP officers pass me in Saskatchewan and Alberta and not be pulled over. He indicated that likely they were not highway patrol and did not have the juristiction - my thought was and do you?

He did not even look at the sticker in the window and wrote me up a ticket for operating a motor vehicle on highway without registration and operating a motor vehicle with an anauthorized license plate. Each $230.

The officer(s) was far from pleasant. As I was on my way to church I was doing my best to put grace into action, but I am troubled by the fact that 1) he didn't even look at the temporary plate in the window, 2) I had proof of valid insurance on the vehicle, driving license is clean and clearly was not a criminal 3) these officers are paid to patrol snowmobiles and atvs - not highway patrol for motor vehicles. I did feel harrassed by this. He also asked me for a Bill of Sale which I did not have with me in the vehicle - he stated that I required to carry that also (apparantly there was no ticket for that or I would have gotten one). I was not rude nor confrontational in anyway while speaking to the officer.

I now understand all the complaints about these guys on here. Any advice on how to proceed with this one?
Alan
Good for them! Maybe that will help support the economy around here.Sounds like you really came out ahead in that deal what with the mods and trouble with the cops.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Did the Nissan have a charged battery?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

finally one for the good guys....

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if what the cops says is true then why didn't he impound your car. rather he just gave you a ticket and still let you do what he was ticketing you for. Doesn't make sence to give you a ticket for no plate then just let you keep driving without it.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
if what the cops says is true then why didn't he impound your car. rather he just gave you a ticket and still let you do what he was ticketing you for. Doesn't make sence to give you a ticket for no plate then just let you keep driving without it.

The event was back in 2008.....

Just sayin...

Top Bottom