March conditions

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now before you cut me a new one Sledmamma,I'm not trying to pick a fight,just some useful information..But all the money collected at the trail head goes to the groomer and not to the local sled club.So if you want to support the volunteers,buy a club membership.If the money collected went to the club ,to pay for the maintanence of the cabin and all the other good things these people give up their time to provide us,then there is no simpathy for me..But groomer is contracted.So if someone doesn't get good service for something they pay for ,don't you think they have the right to complain?

Well, for starters, I am not generally the kind of person who "cuts you a new one" on a regular basis, but I just get really sick of whiners. How is it hat someone can pay umpteen bazillions of dollars for sled equipment and accessories and trips and then bitc% about paying $15 to run that equipment up a trail????

Here is the story on how the privately contracted groomer works, you may or may not know this already:

Originally Posted by fargineyesore
Thanks for that. One more question, does any of the trail pass fees go towards the local sledding club?
no it all goes to a private contrator, by this I also mean he is in charge of the personel at the trailheads and collecting the $$$, he then gives the club a set amount of $$ per year for the contract of grooming. the club releys on some donations from local bussiness and individuals to help pay for some of our expenses. we are not a club that makes any money, we are it for the enjoyment. this concept may come back and bite us in the butt if it ever comes down to needing a bunch of cash someday to deal with crap that is coming our way.
Thanks for asking.

So, if the groomer doesnt make enough money during a season to operate and maintain his equipment or pay the personnel at the trail head, then the groomer can't afford to pay the fee to the club for the contract. That means no grooming. And in turn, the club no longer has the same ability to advertise that they have "a maintained access" to the mountain which in turn diminishes their ability to attract not only club membership $$ but also out-of-town tourist dollars. In that case, both the club and the town lose out.

I can't be sure, but I would suspect that a grooming contract is not all that lucrative. Personnel, fuel, maintenance, operating costs, insurance, trailering and time are not all that cheap. If they do make money it aint that much, and we ALL benefit from them being there and making the trail the best it can be for as long as possible.

Just this past week the groomer stayed on the mountain all night waiting for temperatures to drop enough to groom successfully on the bottom end of the trail. In fact, this grooming occurred mid-week according to what the poster on Snow and Mud reported. In my opinion, this is a pretty sweet deal and I am more than willing to give my $15, whether it be mid-week or weekend.

AND, if you are concerned about the club benefitting as well, don't be afraid to make a donation or become a member :)

There now, I didn't rip you a new one, did I???

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if your only grooming for the friday sat crowd why do we pay the same during weekdays for a crap trail

We are spoiled, if we think a mid week trail is crap. Try riding in to Renshaw early in the year before the groomer goes up. It can take half a day to get to the cabin. It may be a little rough and bumpy midweek, but it is way better than any ungroomed trail.

Thanks to all the groomers in all areas who have kept our trails up this year. I'm sure it has been very difficult with the warm temps and little snow down low.:beer::beer:

I hate El Nino years!!!!:d

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, All this talk about the trails and no info on the actual conditions of the trail. How is the renshaw can you still ride from the parking lot?

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually, HotRod did groom mid week. Not much he can do in the warm weather, but he tries his best. Spent most of the night up Renshaw on Wednesday (or was it Tuesday) waiting for it to get colder in order to groom on the way down. The trail just does not want to hold up well in spring conditions.

He also usually grooms Renshaw on Sunday evenings for the weekday crowd the rest of the year.
We went out Fri and Sat. Groomer was running when we came down Fri night. Was quite warm both evenings so can't expect perfectly smooth trail. I'm sure it would have been worse without it. Went bit east of Spirit lake. Good snow and times. Be back next year for sure.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have a group up the Renshaw today so will report the conditions later.
Trail at Renshaw----No snow in the parking lot, no snow untill km 1. There is a wide spot here to park. Sat. morning I plowed the small parking lot at km 2, room for about 20 units if you park with consideration, opened up both sides of the trail for parking as well at km 2. DON'T PARK AND BLOCK THE TRAL or we will shut the trail down completely.
A few bare patches from km 2 to about 5, then it is snow(slush) for the rest of the way.
Talked to the goomer yesterday and due to the warm weather over nite no grooming last nite and not untill maybe Tues. or Wed. if it gets cold enough. No trail fees untill trail is groomed.
It is time to leave your large enclosed at home as there is not enough parking and turn around areas left. Spring riding conditions as well as spring trail conditions.
Last but for sure not least, to the 2 clowns pulling enclosed's that blew by the trail collection girl, if you want to be a jerk and not pay, at least slow down when you go by, it is a safty thing.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
remember riding the Renshaw the middle of Nov. there was a group being guided in the back way at KM23 and the last 7KM was 2 1/2 feet of fresh. took us over 2hrs to get to the cabin. those deep deep creek crossings could get pretty old if snow dont fill them in and without a groomer all year

more than willing to pay the $15.

007,were parking before the gates down at the bottom of the hill last weekend. couple 100 feet of mud but the rest was smooth sailing.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats the trails holding up like in Mcbride and are they going to be groomed for easter weekend. Any snow accmulating.

The trail.....it's there.

The groomer....he's finished for the season.

Any snow accumulating.....mother nature say's she has met the quota for this season. No more available...

:d

At this time of year and with the temps we are seeing, if your gonna ask stupid questions ???

Expect Stupid Answers...

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
remember riding the Renshaw the middle of Nov. there was a group being guided in the back way at KM23 and the last 7KM was 2 1/2 feet of fresh. took us over 2hrs to get to the cabin. those deep deep creek crossings could get pretty old if snow dont fill them in and without a groomer all year

more than willing to pay the $15.

007,were parking before the gates down at the bottom of the hill last weekend. couple 100 feet of mud but the rest was smooth sailing.

Thanks steveo, I will proceed with caution. Can we get anywhere close with the enclosed don't have much more of option to get sleds up to the hill?

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"originally posted by bbtoys"
(Last but for sure not least, to the 2 clowns pulling enclosed's that blew by the trail collection girl, if you want to be a jerk and not pay, at least slow down when you go by, it is a safety thing.)

Are you freaking kidding me! They can afford all the toys but to tough to pay $15 a day for grooming! Makes me sick! Maybe it's time to shut the grooming down! Then these Clowns or (Princesses)(no pun intended ladies!) can get a real taste of back country riding. They would be selling there sleds in a year! I just don't understand people, this pays for grooming through out the entire year! Pay your way people or we will lose our programs that we have in place! GEEZ!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The trail.....it's there.

The groomer....he's finished for the season.

Any snow accumulating.....mother nature say's she has met the quota for this season. No more available...

At this time of year and with the temps we are seeing, if your gonna ask stupid questions ???

Expect Stupid Answers...

At least someone said it right!! good on ya!!:d

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now before you cut me a new one Sledmamma,I'm not trying to pick a fight,just some useful information..But all the money collected at the trail head goes to the groomer and not to the local sled club.So if you want to support the volunteers,buy a club membership.If the money collected went to the club ,to pay for the maintanence of the cabin and all the other good things these people give up their time to provide us,then there is no simpathy for me..But groomer is contracted.So if someone doesn't get good service for something they pay for ,don't you think they have the right to complain?
thx bigdog thats what i was saying before bigmamma flew off the handle

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been raining in the valley bottom the last couple days and can see that it's been snowin up higher. The guys i talked to this weekend said that they found about a foot or so of fresh but it was heavy snow. It is spring fresh snow.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boys were up Renshaw and the trail was very rough but good snow in the back, all the tracks were covered with about 1 foot of new and snowing hard when they left. going up Belle this morning.
cold weather in the forcast for Wed. so I am thinking we will be grooming for sure, will confirm with Rod in the next couple of hours.
I don't mind the questions but check the back couple of posts so I don't have to post them twice.
4 place inclosed is a bit hard to turn around if the km 2 parking lot is full.

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boys were up Renshaw and the trail was very rough but good snow in the back, all the tracks were covered with about 1 foot of new and snowing hard when they left. going up Belle this morning.
cold weather in the forcast for Wed. so I am thinking we will be grooming for sure, will confirm with Rod in the next couple of hours.
I don't mind the questions but check the back couple of posts so I don't have to post them twice.
4 place inclosed is a bit hard to turn around if the km 2 parking lot is full.

Ok thanks, maybe we will have to mud bog it to the snow line.

Sumitdude

Reaction score
Dude right now I would crawl across 2 miles of broke glass over barb wire fence through a hurricane just to ride a little more. I won't mind a little mud to get to some fresh snow or any snow. Its just nice to be above the clouds and enjoying the day. Just a Question where can you drop off donations for the local club?

Top Bottom