Mad Motorsports XM performance kit

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had snow checked a 2014 Summit X 163, when I got it I found that it didn’t perform like the 2013 163X demo sled I rode. I figured it was because the sled was still in break in mode. My sled ran well but not great, even once it was out of break in mode. I found it to be sluggish and lazy, not very responsive on the throttle and the clutching sucked, it worked but would trench everywhere and I had little control of the track as it was either full on or nothing. I also found that I would get RPM fade and lose power on longer pulls.

After I had Dean install the full XM package they sell, I found it to be a night and day difference. The sled is snappy and responsive, it pulls harder and throttle/clutch control is spot on. And the sled does run cooler now with the upgraded thermostat and thermostat housing.

All I can say is that I now have a massive $hit eating grin on my face, and with the way the sled runs now… I feel like I am cheating, it now runs that good! I can’t thank Dean enough for helping me get this sled setup and running amazingly well.

Parts that were installed:
- Billet thermostat housing and thermostat
- Reeds
- Plugs
- Clutch tower brace
- Gears and chain
- Clutch kit – Primary and Secondary
- Clutch shim kit
- Can

Thanks Dean Keep up the fantastic work!! :beer:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear! Deano is getting my sled before next year to do the same work as you got done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Neil, to me it was a night and day difference. I went from liking my sled to loving it. It was easier to ride due to having more control with the clutching and throttle response. Deans kit knocked it out of the park. Good luck with your kit for next season, it will work out great for you.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Neil, to me it was a night and day difference. I went from liking my sled to loving it. It was easier to ride due to having more control with the clutching and throttle response. Deans kit knocked it out of the park. Good luck with your kit for next season, it will work out great for you.

I want to get it done for sure. I found a few issues with the stock clutching mostly around home. I put the t-stat from him already and it cooled it down big time. Went from seeing 4-5 bars on the temp gauge to seeing only 3 all the time! Need to get some venting done to.

surfer

Reaction score
i have a 2014 summit sp 163 just finished break in period and mine is the exact same way trenches everywhere and just seems like its missing something. i may have to try this out. Thamks for the info, im not the only one.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive actually bin in his shop a few times now, i think hes going to help me re clutch my 872 etec cause i was expecting a little more from my team set up.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really can't remember what the kit cost. You should contact Dean for exact pricing. I will say that it is worth the money spent though. He did a good job, paid attention to detail and I never had to take it back for anything. He really does do good quality work.

Dean at Mad Motorsports - (780) 986-6370

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had snow checked a 2014 Summit X 163, when I got it I found that it didn’t perform like the 2013 163X demo sled I rode. I figured it was because the sled was still in break in mode. My sled ran well but not great, even once it was out of break in mode. I found it to be sluggish and lazy, not very responsive on the throttle and the clutching sucked, it worked but would trench everywhere and I had little control of the track as it was either full on or nothing. I also found that I would get RPM fade and lose power on longer pulls.

After I had Dean install the full XM package they sell, I found it to be a night and day difference. The sled is snappy and responsive, it pulls harder and throttle/clutch control is spot on. And the sled does run cooler now with the upgraded thermostat and thermostat housing.

All I can say is that I now have a massive $hit eating grin on my face, and with the way the sled runs now… I feel like I am cheating, it now runs that good! I can’t thank Dean enough for helping me get this sled setup and running amazingly well.

Parts that were installed:
- Billet thermostat housing and thermostat
- Reeds
- Plugs
- Clutch tower brace
- Gears and chain
- Clutch kit – Primary and Secondary
- Clutch shim kit
- Can

Thanks Dean Keep up the fantastic work!! :beer:

In regards to the gearing.. can u explain what exactly u mean by the sled was trenching everywhere?

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
I want to get it done for sure. I found a few issues with the stock clutching mostly around home. I put the t-stat from him already and it cooled it down big time. Went from seeing 4-5 bars on the temp gauge to seeing only 3 all the time! Need to get some venting done to.

When my motor was all stock, I only ever saw 3 bars... 4 on a icy trail, and thats it. From what I've read and seen, I think some of these xm's are coming with different/faulty thermostats, or temp gauges that aren't all that accurate. Good info for someone who is seeing higher temps, a new thermostat/housing is a darn good investment. Could be a reason they seem sluggish, computer might be seeing too high temps.... :hmm:

Last edited:

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When my motor was all stock, I only ever saw 3 bars... 4 on a icy trail, and thats it. From what I've read and seen, I think some of these xm's are coming with different/faulty thermostats, or temp gauges that aren't all that accurate. Good info for someone who is seeing higher temps, a new thermostat/housing is a darn good investment. Could be a reason they seem sluggish, computer might be seeing too high temps.... :hmm:

Anyone I have ever talked to were 4 bars pretty much anytime when riding. ..and I'm not talking a couple people here. More like 50ish. Mine is only 3 during warmup. Mine warms up to 4, stat opens, drops two 3 for a short time, then back to 4 for the rest of day. Maybe yours has the faulty sensor? I wish they had an actual temp reading in degree C then we could compare with it gun or contact temp probe.

Last edited:

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol you don't remember what it cost? I can remember every cent i've put in my sled... Sounds expensive! ;)

Top Bottom