Machined Sheave - WOW !!

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of tracks in Feb for my 2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660. I noticed they take some power to turn. I had already installed a Daltion Clutch kit for 27 & 28 inch tires for my 27 inch 589's. The roller weights in the Dalton kit are 16 grams each. (stock is 12 grams each)
A friend of mine has a Rhino & he was telling me that he bought a machined sheave for better performance in the sand. I have also read in this or another forum about using machined sheave for a performace gain.
Instead of sending my sheave in, I bought one from Fix Power Sports (see link below) for a 2004 Rhino. It came with new weigths & a jet kit.
My friends sheave had the area where the rollers move machined. This one from Fix Power Sports has the face machined.
The roller weights that came in the kit are 14 grams each, so I didn't use those, I put my 16 gram ones back in. My machine already had the same jet installed as the one that came in the kit. So, I'll wait to look at the needle, etc. to see if I'll make any changes there.
I went riding yesterday to try this new sheave out. The snow was slighty wet & there was about four inches of new wet snow.
First thing I noticed when getting ready to load the bike ... barley giving the bike any throttle & it moved. I walked right up into the back of my flat bed truck.
When I got out on the snow there was a huge difference. Much better response. Snappy almost. Way more bottom end & it pulled harder. It also felt like I had more top end, but there really isn't any area that's very flat for any length to try a top speed run.
But talk about pulling hard up hills in this wet snow .... it was like a whole new machine. I personally feel this was money well spent & I'm totally pleased.

Here's the link to Fix Power Sport if anyone is interested. (And remember, I ordered one for a 2004 Rhino to use in my 2003 Grizzly)

Later ...
Gunny

Top Bottom