Garmin tread

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any experience with the garmin tread power sports model? Pretty neat….could add the power switch to run my push buttton start , dimmer and warmers. Lol

The switches are totally programmable so maintained, momentary, flashing etc. each one is good for 30amp.

I was planning on running the tread and inreach messenger this year.

IMG_1667.jpeg
IMG_1668.jpeg
IMG_1669.jpeg

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the garmin tread on a skidoo 850. I dont have the switches hooked up to anything but its a pretty slick unit. Anyone who looks at it while out on the mountain is impressed. I was down at Hay Days and this new Cat gauge is the real deal. No one in the industry has one even close to this garmin unit.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had one for about half hr before sending it back. I use Backroads Mapbook sd card and the tread doesnt support the mapping. I could not use any of my trail maps. I called Garmin and was told they were not going to support any 3rd party mapping. He said but it comes with all the trail maps i could use. I said ya in the states not any in Canada. I went with the Montana 700 instead. Its more suited to my needs. I can use all my maps and its configured for Geocaching and links to my inreach mini. I can send messages through the 700 including sos. Battery life is better when dismounted from cradle too. The tread has some neat features like that power switch and connecting to other treads with tracking and the comms. But only if everyone in your group has the tread too. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting…I was wondering if they would support the backroads maps. I originally was going to get the 700i but like the functionality of the tread and clarity.

Does their maps show trails?

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two seasons with a tread. Not perfect, but would recommend.
If you’re willing to put in the time and effort, can be pretty versatile. I have the satellite view, caribou closures, cabins etc for most of the sledding areas downloaded onto it.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two seasons with a tread. Not perfect, but would recommend.
If you’re willing to put in the time and effort, can be pretty versatile. I have the satellite view, caribou closures, cabins etc for most of the sledding areas downloaded onto it.
Nice. I was using my cell last year with Avenza app. Worked well but it’s a pita to use while riding. Someone needs to make a screen you can mirror you cell phone to that is weatherproof.

Anyway going with the tread …doesn’t sound like the group tracking feature will happen anytime soon in Canada.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyway going with the tread …doesn’t sound like the group tracking feature will happen anytime soon in Canada.

If you order from the USA site, you can get the radio model. Of course useless unless everyone else has the same. The radio/tracking is actually in the mount, not the unit.

My recommendation is that you make a short leash for the unit. Epoxy or tape an eyelet to it.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a Garmin Montana 600 and last season got the 700 series.
The 700 failed me on a ride and it took myself and two other guys(that had nothing) 3 hours to get our selves back on track. We were literally lost and with fresh snow covering everything we could not back track easily.
After riding most of the morning crossing multiple meadows and over one range I made reference to the GPS and found it had shut down, so we lost all our tracks for an exit.
Ended going by memory, that was fun lol.
The 700 went back for repair, hoping for warranty but after that episode I may be carrying both my 600 and the 700 but I have reconsidered going back to topo maps and compass like I did in the past as a backup.
Haven’t decided and we were riding new terrain at the time.
BTW, one of the guys was using his cell with mapping for tracking and it for some reason lost tracking also. ch!t luck I guess. It ended well eitherway.

Last edited:

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got 700i 2 years ago very nice unit but not for snowmobiling unless in heated compartment -6c it shuts off in powered gradle.A friend has went through 2 700’s,very disappointed in Garmin product.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got 700i 2 years ago very nice unit but not for snowmobiling unless in heated compartment -6c it shuts off in powered gradle.A friend has went through 2 700’s,very disappointed in Garmin product.
I'm suspecting that is what happened, the 700 is cradle mounted that is hard wired. I used it this last bike trip to the Arctic in July and it worked flawlessly.
My 600 was mounted in the same manner and I never had an issue with it in the cold. They must of changed something in the 700 temp. tolerance.
Now I need to look at different options.

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the same problems with my Montana 700i, they don’t like being cold. I’m on my 2nd one, 4th power mount cradle being they keep failing. Now I carry extra batteries with me for it.
Was planning on up grading to the tread, but apparently it won’t track my friends that use rhino radios or anything else that’s not a tread. I really wish it would.

Top Bottom