M8 choking off in deep powder - aftermarket options

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M8 is choking off in powder, even though the hood vents are fairly open. The hose under the hood collapses from suction and the sled falls on its face. It has extra venting on the intake area but still seems to do it because the holes are covered with Frogskin, seems to mainly occur later in the day after they've been wet a few times, I'm wondering if the material ices up and stops letting air past. Regardless, looking at different options.

I know lots of guys are running the SLP intake or the BDX nose cone intake, what are you guys running and what are your opinions of the setups you do have? Positives and negatives pls.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i used a billet high flow intake for awhile and it seemed to work good, didnt notice any gains, but also never had a bog, ever.

ive got a bdx setup as well, was happy with it for awhile but ive been getting low end bog so i switched back to stock, that being said i still have the bog so it probably wasnt the bdx intakes fault. I'm guessing at this point my problem is the oil pump, cats been having a problem with them sticking open

bradb

Reaction score
My m1000 was doing the same thing. Collapsing that hose when snow got on the vents. I just measured the opening on the airbox,which I think is 4' and bought a k&n filter with an outerwear that would fit on it under the hood.I took off all the stock crap on the underside of the hood and it works great. a cheap and simple fix. Didn't notice any difference in performance due to warmer air being sucked in. there is vents right in the nose anyway.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the slp intake kit on my M1000 and love it. Have never had an issue with it freezimg up or anything. Just can be a little soso for getting it lined up properly but once it's lined up good it is super easy to install and never looked back and never had it choke out or bog out in deep pow since.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put 2inch dia frogskins on both sides of the nose cone ... beside the hose going down to stock intake nose cone. Seemed to definetly help, and its a real cheap option. My take on the air intake is to have as many options available to allow air to get to engine. I think you`ll find find plus`s and minus`s to all of them in different snow conditions and you can`t beat cold air. I`m not sold on the aftermarket options.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was'nt sure what the problem was until reading this post. Thanks guys:beer:
I had all four sleds out in the fluff a few weeks ago M1000 / M8 & 2 M6's. My m1000 did not miss a beat yet the M8 & both 6's choked & gagged when the hoods were burried for extended periods :eek: All 4 sleds have the frog skins only on the bottom vents. My m1000 has 2" slp screens in the nose cone sides. Not sure if this is why mine did not choke & gag but found interesting why the other 3 did not like the deep fresh until they re-surfaced again.

Keeperswilly

Reaction score
My M8 was bogging last year in deep heavier snow as well. Installed the high flow intake mod from SLP and it hasn't done it since.
14-299.gif

clarkydubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i got the slp kit as well....was in some seriously deep snow couple weeks ago and the only bog i would get would be from the exhaust plugging up....other then that i could submarine the thing and it would wheely out....

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BDX setup... So far so good, although you must seal the sides of the hood right after the hinge where there is a gap (on mine there was, anyway) where snow was getting in, along with siliconing every single gap around the bumper and such. No snow gets in. However, I did remove the plastic cover for a while to keep an eye on the snow situation in there and when it was warm, snow sticky around 0, I did get a bog which I can likely attribute to heat because it had to be running for a while to do it. Putting the cover back on to make it a COLD AIR intake. JMO, live it and learn it I guess.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i found out what my bog was today,,,a piece of plastic on the triangle vents up top for the intake snapped off went down the airbox (when i had stock on) into the nose cone then got sucked into the reeds keeping one side partly open all the time, and breaking a few chunks off the other side. Guys had a hard time figurin that one out, said thats a first in their shop.

HCR 153

Reaction score
M8 is choking off in powder, even though the hood vents are fairly open. The hose under the hood collapses from suction and the sled falls on its face. It has extra venting on the intake area but still seems to do it because the holes are covered with Frogskin, seems to mainly occur later in the day after they've been wet a few times, I'm wondering if the material ices up and stops letting air past. Regardless, looking at different options.

I know lots of guys are running the SLP intake or the BDX nose cone intake, what are you guys running and what are your opinions of the setups you do have? Positives and negatives pls.

Same thing was happening to my sled and i just used gas line antifreeze and threw on heavier clutch weights for your altitude and it should perk back up

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same thing was happening to my sled and i just used gas line antifreeze and threw on heavier clutch weights for your altitude and it should perk back up

Thanks but how does that solve the problem of the collapsing pipe? Heavier weights will drop the RPM so that has nothing to do with the bogging?:confused: Gas line antifreeze would help an iced up fuel line which could be starving it at WOT I guess but we know the pipe is collapsing, you can see it when the sled bogs out and you open the hood, the pipe is completely caved in. As soon as you pop it out back to shape it runs fine again.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks but how does that solve the problem of the collapsing pipe? Heavier weights will drop the RPM so that has nothing to do with the bogging?:confused: Gas line antifreeze would help an iced up fuel line which could be starving it at WOT I guess but we know the pipe is collapsing, you can see it when the sled bogs out and you open the hood, the pipe is completely caved in. As soon as you pop it out back to shape it runs fine again.

My true opinion is if you don't mind spending a few $$, then try things out for yourself. Everyone with an M has a different opinion on the intake things. And apparently everything works completely different for the keyboard racers :confused::confused:. Still don't understand that one ;). Like I said I had good luck with my BDX... and appreciate the VALUE, unlike speedwerx, and D&D. - Personal opinion though. The stock one could be improved upon with some relief vents on top of the box itself, but because that will then be the path of least resistance, the top side of your intake (by the headlights) will be essentially pointless, and you will be getting "hot" air which MAY OR MAY NOT make a difference to your sled (that's a whole other topic). I could go on for days about this... sorry for the long post lol.

Al "ley Cat"

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year rolled the 07 M8 and cracked the hood right where the top bolt for the inside vent tunnel was. Had a hard time fixing it because there was always the force of the nut holding the vent in place. I thought what the hell ,took out the vent tunnel and bought a 4" hose clap,some pre filter cloth and installed it over the slp air horn. Removeing the vent tunnel gave me the side intake vents for cooling + opened more of the top of the hood vents.Only thing is that i have to clean the pre filter roughly ever 2 trips.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My true opinion is if you don't mind spending a few $$, then try things out for yourself. Everyone with an M has a different opinion on the intake things. And apparently everything works completely different for the keyboard racers :confused::confused:. Still don't understand that one ;). Like I said I had good luck with my BDX... and appreciate the VALUE, unlike speedwerx, and D&D. - Personal opinion though. The stock one could be improved upon with some relief vents on top of the box itself, but because that will then be the path of least resistance, the top side of your intake (by the headlights) will be essentially pointless, and you will be getting "hot" air which MAY OR MAY NOT make a difference to your sled (that's a whole other topic). I could go on for days about this... sorry for the long post lol.

Yup - thought of that too ... so I just cover them when in snow when they are not required.... which is most of the time for me anyhow. I`m going to set them up with a little velcro cover so it looks a little cleaner ....

Top Bottom