Pro RMK Deep Snow Air Intake

prairie rmk

Reaction score
Last season I got tired of my rmk bogging out anytime I got into some really deep powder. I looked at the SLP high flow intake, but figured it would get buried worse than the stock ones. I decided too make up my own based on the snorkels that are on so many quads now. First I took the hood off and removed the half of the airbox on the underside of it to get the air horns out(I'm assuming that they are supposed to suppress intake noise, but I couldn't notice any increase). I made the snorkels out of a 2" 22.5deg street elbow and 2 threaded abs pieces to 'bolt' it into the holes I drilled in the hood. I made up a filter sock out of water resistant intake material. I also wound up a wire to support the sock from collapsing. Any way, it worked really well last winter, the snow never piled over the top off them, and never bogged once. I was wondering if anybody else has tried something like this, or if there's actually someone selling something similar. Rolled it over a couple times in the snow to get unstuck and never broke them off either, which is a bonus.

P.S. The sled has an SLP pipe and can in the video, for anybody who is interested in what it sounds like.(one of these links must work)

GOPR0132 - YouTube
100%
GOPR0132 - YouTube

Attachments

• 2011-03-30 10.19.27.jpg
    2011-03-30 10.19.27.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 439
  • 2011-04-19 19.03.13.jpg
    2011-04-19 19.03.13.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 441
  • 2011-04-19 19.03.41.jpg
    2011-04-19 19.03.41.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 440

CO2.0

Reaction score
You can also get what seems like deep pow bogs and the engine cutting out if you have too much slack in the throttle cable/lever. Only happened to mine on deep days until I figured it out. Do you have SLP powder valves? Those worked great for me on my old Dragon 800 when the snow was piled up over the intakes. Didn't put them on my '12 pro cause I know first hand how Polaris is with warranty claims now-a-days...

I have heard other say taking out the airhorns changes the air velocity, have you noticed any ill effects on how the engine runs on normal days?

prairie rmk

Reaction score
I considered the slp powder valves, but I didn't see the point in spending nearly $100 for them and the high flow intake that slp recommends, and still be pulling hot engine air when the seems plug. I didn't notice any running problems with the air horns out, I think the ones in the air box under the hood could create some problems if they were removed.

These do look a little strange, but I was very happy with their performance

Top Bottom