M series bulkhead question

sleliuk1

Reaction score
So i hit a rock on my last ride out, bent the upper/lower A arms and twisted the spindle on the exhaust side of sled. Looking at the bulkhead, doesn't look like anything is bent but how does a guy really know? Nothing obvious is jumping out at me, no cracks or anything, but is there a forsure way to check? like will the clutching alignment be the first indication of a bent bulkhead? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i hit a rock on my last ride out, bent the upper/lower A arms and twisted the spindle on the exhaust side of sled. Looking at the bulkhead, doesn't look like anything is bent but how does a guy really know? Nothing obvious is jumping out at me, no cracks or anything, but is there a forsure way to check? like will the clutching alignment be the first indication of a bent bulkhead? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have never seen a cat bulkhead bend. I had a guy a couple weeks ago hit a culvert and break both a-arms on one side and bent the shock and tie rod and the bulkhead was still perfectly good.

sleliuk1

Reaction score
I have never seen a cat bulkhead bend. I had a guy a couple weeks ago hit a culvert and break both a-arms on one side and bent the shock and tie rod and the bulkhead was still perfectly good.

thank you glen, you just made me feel a bit better about the damage that i did! the shock isn't bent so i guess thats a good thing! was that a rental of yours?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thank you glen, you just made me feel a bit better about the damage that i did! the shock isn't bent so i guess thats a good thing! was that a rental of yours?

Not one of the rentals. It was one that wasn't runnin well and i fixed it for him and told him to take it up lucielle to test it because the lucielle parkin lot is only like 5min away from the shop and he decided to go for a rip in the ditch and smacked to culvert. It actually got a local guy to buy a cat when he saw how little damage there was to the sled with what the guy hit and how hard he hit it.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well Glengine.....let me introduce you to my son:d.....Just after Christmas, he came over a driveway while ditchbangin and landed on a rock just behind the a-arms on the clutch side....

And contrary to popular belief....bulkheads do bend!

We put in a new bulkhead and all is good again.

If you can't see any damage then you might be lucky....but get the clutch alignment checked at the very least.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quote:And contrary to popular belief....bulkheads do bend

of course they do hit it hard enough it bend just like a doo doo will bend

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you land on a rock on the bulkhead then yes they can bend. But i have never seen a cat bulkhead bend from hitting a rock where it bends the a-arms. Where as i've seen doo ones bend from hitting a frozen snowbank.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hes right the bulkhead is super tough other than the cracks that can form around the diamond drive and drive shaft bearing holes. Usually caused by a bent drive shaft that gets limped a few miles.

Its the XP bulkhead that just falls apart, a-arms are stronger than the part they are bolted to...... awesome engineering!!

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you land on a rock on the bulkhead then yes they can bend. But i have never seen a cat bulkhead bend from hitting a rock where it bends the a-arms. Where as i've seen doo ones bend from hitting a frozen snowbank.

Wasn't that pinecones, not snowbanks!!

Bwahahahahahahah:d

sleliuk1

Reaction score
Wasn't that pinecones, not snowbanks!!

Bwahahahahahahah:d

haha thats funny, its almost like when you go grocery shopping and drop a can of soup on the floor and it bends. doo must use the same aluminum as campbell's soup does! now i'm going to wait for the first doo rider to start yelling...:realmad:

Keeperswilly

Reaction score
haha thats funny, its almost like when you go grocery shopping and drop a can of soup on the floor and it bends. doo must use the same aluminum as campbell's soup does! now i'm going to wait for the first doo rider to start yelling...:realmad:

I'm sure Maxwell or JaredsSactracks will be all over this soon enough.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

recycled coors light cans.. :beer::beer:

sleliuk1

Reaction score
I'm sure it will happen soon! Oh well all the pissing contests on this site are good for a laugh once in awhile!

clarkydubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

hello, my name is clark. i did exactly what you just mentioned and guess what!!!!! bent bulkhead, i hit pretty hard though, was wheelying over a blind hill, dropped the skis just in time to see a big chunk of granite in front of me....destroyed upper and lower a arms, steering post, spindle, shock, BULKHEAD and nose cone. now i got a nice flower pot!!!!! bulkhead beauty.jpg

sleliuk1

Reaction score
hello, my name is clark. i did exactly what you just mentioned and guess what!!!!! bent bulkhead, i hit pretty hard though, was wheelying over a blind hill, dropped the skis just in time to see a big chunk of granite in front of me....destroyed upper and lower a arms, steering post, spindle, shock, BULKHEAD and nose cone. now i got a nice flower pot!!!!!View attachment 80022

sorry for your loss! i guess the old lady is happy she has a flower pot now!

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a look at it last night, looks like just the A arms. It does look like a doo with a bent nun!!

Thanks for the beers!! My beagle spent about 1 hour trying to figure out your dogs scent. Drove him crazy!!!

sleliuk1

Reaction score
Had a look at it last night, looks like just the A arms. It does look like a doo with a bent nun!!

Thanks for the beers!! My beagle spent about 1 hour trying to figure out your dogs scent. Drove him crazy!!!

haha thats funny no problem for the beers come anytime, always alot of beer waiting! yeah its funny when those dogs start sniffing around. hopefully i can get those put in this weekend (hopefully)

Top Bottom