Lost in the West

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ohv folks have fixed up the cut-out where wash-out was, pretty easy crossing with low river run-off.

Need to return to see it at a much slower pace.

I used up much of my gas pinning gps cut/slash-lines threw the day, so it was time to re-fuel in Hinto that night and start packing bigger fuel cans for longer stint out.
Plan is to let the snow melt more and pick easier riding area on the few days off.

Sure fun getting the tracks on gps to Base-Camp files, if I get it figured out that is.

Pal Lem at spinning tires of good times. More to follow !

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't been up chungo road for years. Nice area

Yes Wild 1 as its pretty layed back in there with some good rides close to the bridge or some cut-lines off the Chungo Out-Fitters pack-horse trial,,, and the main un-used oil road to the 2 out-looks up there. Cardinal has many more options on the North side of the river, at least I can see many more of them on that side.

I will be back into Chungo on next outing coming up.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
April 7th. 2016 Melt-Down Area

The next day I headed to a area with much less snow for easier access, and staged at 1 of the many fav areas for over-night camping along this river.
It looks brown in the picture, but its crystal clear since there isn't much of a run off this year.
Been riding the area by quad for 20 plus years, then by dual sport motorcycle for 5 ish,,, more quad as its easier getting around in all kinds of weather.
I seem to find new un-touched grounds that I have not been on, yet I was past this turn off 100's of times checking out other trails.
This is a must since its the South side riv trail for 8 kms.
There is some spook'em side runs off of it.

I would of never guess that this fair size creek links up with main river. Bush-whacking is paying off.

Snowmobile crossed the creek a few times through the winter, they pushed the ice layer down making it easy to cross.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to find something new on the odd adventure.

I've seen large trees all across North America, but I ain't never seen a old Poplar with the trunk this big in the middle of a dried up swamp. Ha. She some hum-dinger all right.

The old tree is on its last stand, but someday another will replace it some where in another forest or even here where this gem stands.

A few kms from Old Tree is a Sand Beach, From Enchanted Forest to Palm Beach California well touring the Eastern Slopes of Alberta. Now how kool is that.

And I'm know where near Hinton of all things. Crazy what one can find in their own back yard.

Best coffee break by taking in the happenings. I like what Madkaw mentioned in one of his post,,, Best to take in what one wants since we have the time too do our own thing. "I hear yha brother."
This will be one of the fishing areas when it opens.

Not to far from there is Wounded Moose Tree. LOL.

Things got nasty for the 16 hp Onda at the far end, but the trail kept going for who knows how far back there. Frozen ground travels for sure.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few Canadian Eagles return for the season. Ha

When the ground thaws, this crossing will be nasty, so no plan on going in this far since there many other areas less challenging. I don't fear bush-whacking, but it is not my plan to spend the day going no-where looking for bush and trees to winch off of. This little knock in the wall will eat up any ohv that dares to cross it. Shes bad...

OH yha, more seismic-lines.

Lunch break from the effort to get in further then before. well worth the outing in this little pocket.

After a re-gen it was real bush whack time on very old over grown trail.

Had to spend some time plotting the direction due to over growth.

Ha. found a new slash line after 1/4 of a mile.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The old saying is true that most messed up paths in life lead to the yellow brick road.
My pal's Out West trap-line retreat. Been family friends for 50+ years. Cabin is aging better then the both of us. LOL

Harvested Elk down here for a few years, but too many show up so we moved to different area. Still has game tracks though.

Creek to small river too much larger river.

And a bigger river trail on this side.

There are some soft spots, but most ohv's can loop around them.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So many trails that its a hard decision picking the one you want to ride.

I rapped up my day zig-zaging back to staging area for another play ground close to here. 2 more days of awesome adventures in the spring time thaw !
More to follow.

Pal Lem

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
April 8th. 2016 Top of the World Ride

So with the odd snowed in cut-lines in the Chungo, I thought it would be easier to gps track Baldy Mt Fire Tower Out-Look. The back woods loops are narrow in spots, and side hilling threw the upper trails. The trail has a fair size drop and wash-out climb that has claimed a few units in it day. Not recommended for youngers and folks that don't pilot good.

I walked up to wash-out to make sure it was passible before pinning the throttle as there ain't no backing down once you get into it. Pretty steep !

The day will come that the back way in ride will come to an end as erosion will takes over.

Looks easy in photo, but one would see it ain't when looking from bottom up ! This wash is not near as steep as many of the Chungo climbs. The further West one rides, things become steeper.

I could not of planned it better as first hand sight-seeing give me the direction of travel on the way up.

Half-angle landing pad part way up before taking on the second stage that is not as steep in up\down climb. One needs to pay attention all the way up on the back side trail.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If a rider chooses to not pick this route, then they can enter the Baldy Mt road from the main road in that is car/truck easy.
This is an area where a pick-up truck descending Baldy Mt "passed the Locked gate" did not make the switch back coming down.
2 ton wrecker did not get it, so Forestry had a track cat with winch retrieve it. Pal told me it came out in peace's.

I bet the driver crapped his pants 2 x's. Driving off the road, and the charges with billing.

Fire ranger got in yesterday as he sets up for the 2016 season. Push cat opened up the road a while back.

70 to 80 kpr winds up top.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Southerly look at Nordegg Hamlet.

Coliseum Mt. looking SS/E

Westerly looking at Abraham Lk.

Same view Wide-Angle.

Small Grizzly Bear dens.

Trail up looking N/E ish as this trail/road up loops around the Mt. Stay on trial since the day will come when it to will be off limits for ohv's. The pick-up truck thing from last year got the conversation started at the Edmonton Forestry Office.

West looking

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Pan-view W to N.

Birds eye view from up here.

Northerly looking.

Zoom view of Chungo area.

East View.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
N/E view again.

More blue sky W view.

I like to sit up here on nice days telescoping the nooks and crannies.

I was surprised more folks don't ride the Chungo, but North of bridge the ohv areas become limited. Un-less one dose not mind idling up the road and view what is there to see.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the next post to load and computer shut me down, more on the April 8th. 2016 ride.

Pal Lems some where no where.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes !!! That side up is not getting any better as time will takes its toll.

Guarantied that it will claim a few units and "hopefully" not any persons. One only needs to hit the wash-out at the wrong angle and its show time.

I have no need to ever return to it since one can continue South to drive up the road that is much safer.
The older I get the less interest I have in getting into a pickle.

Many of us have seen what happens when things go South !

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East side going down from Baldy Mt, as one can see what remains of snow up there. Push-Cat opened it up for foot hikers & ohv users. I give right-away to all foot travelers in hopes that Forestry leaves it open. I hope that those that choose to ride Baldy do the same with a friendly waves to those brothers, sisters, youngers that join them since it is a privilege to have this ride for all to share.

My ride plan from that day was to bush-whack my way into Baldy Mt area spending time glassing the distance land scapes since I have nothing but time on all of my rides.Too relax with a bone fire smoky-dog lunch with hot coffee is a Lem Lamb trade mark.

If riders choose to tag along, they can expect this to happen at some point along the way since it gives us a chance to reflect on the happenings and enjoy to sounds of nature at its best. Ha... Nothing like a 1/2 snooze to re-fresh the noodle.

I could not of picked a better spot to stop for a break.

Seeing what I seen from up above put me here later in the day.

So many trails that there is never enough gas to see it all this summer.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
April 9th. 2016 Ride of Fear

Yuppers. We all have fears that tell us where not to go, and I do not like to go where I am not suppose to be. Ha.

I took the day in opening up trails at another location.

Trail is off grid for smaller units less the bush-whacking that we can do.

I cut threw the bush with out a hitch since my little unit is easy to get around on.

Most relaxing day yet since every outing is something new, and it sure beats sitting at home wishing I was riding no where some where.
Little chain saw is now my best friend, Ha.

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
love this thread and everything about it no bull**** no arguing just entertainment your a good story teller thank you very much i will follow this with anticipation

Top Bottom