Lost in the West

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yuppers, the GOA is worried about OHV's in the castle area due to erosion, Grizzly Bears, fish habitat and clean drinking water for town and cities, but I'm guessing that Edmonton folks are not in this picture since Shannon Phillips lives in the Southern part of the Province.

There are 7 good size cut-blocks out here, 2 of them boarder a FLUZ zone. Strange that this practic is allowed yet a few OHV'S would be 0.0001% too erosion factor too this one massive clear cut "cut-block."

Both these rivers feed the North Saskatchewan River, so many places will see fish stocks decline, and they told the seismic crew too rap up operation early because of the Caribou,,, Ha...

Little do they know as there hasn't been Caribou even close to this area for over 80+++ years.

Those furry critters need food that only comes from age old "old growth forests, years of logging has depleted their food source.

These burn piles were 150 too 200 feet across and about 45 to 60 feet tall. There were 1000's apon 1000's of then that are still smoldering, way too many too count in the 100+ square clear cut.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong as industry feeds families, but too weigh OHV use too logging is quit a difference too land impact ratio.

This area needed a new road in, they moved 1000's of yards of clay and sand too get in there,,, not a hard rock area as this stuff will sluff.

No silt collecting cloth at any of the stream crossings nor converts.

There is the limited few tree areas, but very very little as the big area consumes most of the block.

Those mountains in the background are along ways away. Clay and sand mostly as the steep edges "could" slide this spring,,, no water rain retention barriers were put in.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My points exactly , that's why I don't buy into the whole quad / watershed / erosion BS ....
If you pay people enough .. You can get any kind of study slanted the way you want ...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What you have pointed out is EXACTLY the reason they don't want OHV s back in those areas is because ...
We take pictures and see what real destruction looks like ! Most people on horse back or foot will never see or cover the ground ripped up in these areas ...

Have rode it and seen it
first hand . I am certainly not against industry , but to ban quads and to allow this while claiming to be our environmental saviours is beyond laughable ....

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The long stench one-way is just over 27 kms one way.

This is one of the largest tree buffer areas in this cut, not very big as the clear cut ended it on the back side

No OHV's above the 6000 foot mark, but logging side mountains above 6258 feet is ok, hummmmm. These are clay sand mountains that support good tree growth.

Maybe a smaller section cut would be wizer too slow erosion a bit, but the gone trees with lose of root base "Could" make these side mountain Slopes unstable,,, maybe.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To worry about erosion while removing trees on side slopes is .....
Well just NDP ish.....

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, GOA likes too make us OHV folks the evil do'ers of the lands. Ha.

As I mentioned earlier, I've been up too Grande Cache all the length too North Gate of Waterton Nation Park along the Eastern Slopes,,, this is one massive cut.

It's so big that it will consume much of my time seeing it in better weather and just how big it is.

Had too have a lunch break with a fire no where near the carbon footprint of 1 of those thousands of burnt off log piles.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The OHV community are a hell of a good scapegoat...
No question , about that ....

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Pal and I came across this cut this fall, so we know it's new since he was Harvesting game there. No game there now as she's a pancake.
Can't wait too get better photos of this cut, the 4 down rivers and the 2 up steam.

Yes these trees have infestation, and over grown, but what an under taking too hit it that hard all at once.

This is why I know it's this winters cut.

Wouldn't be green if it was last year's under taking.

Poor little chicken must be wondering what happened to his home land. LOL.

Camp "Hard Knocks will be at it alot out here too gather photos of erosion and stream run off this spring.

Crazy that the NDP explane to folks they are team green when they have this going on under their watch,,, of course they will say it's the former GOA, HA.

Strange thing is that this cut took place this fall away from any accessible roads with locked gate at far access point,,, not from the old oil road though.

Lem at sharing a small part of what we don't normally see in home land Province of Alberta.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the West country from Rocky Mountain House.
Best too let folks find areas for them selves as it adds value too those who ride.

This allows others too find lost-ness for them selves.
I find its not fair for me too ask others either as I don't,,, that way I can be the David Thompson of finding whats on the other side of areas.

Lost in the West thread wouldn't work if I had mileage, directions and names of areas that would prevent the be lost. Ha.

So this weekend I returned to this same lost area between the two Rivers.
I was unable to get the cabin on wheels too the last staging area.
Deep snow is too much for chained up 2 wdr

This is gooder as going to that point or beyond would be bad.

Better light and weather too sight see the old home stead from days gone by.

It of course seen better days

Finding this stuff in the back woods makes us think of days gone by, who these folks we're, and the time frame in which they lived.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The back-up work shed has pretty much returned too earth as the last sections of the walls are near faded away.

The sleeping river will soon roar too life with spring thaw on the way

Many generations have gone, and many more will as this river carries on like it has for many years.

Not a massive river by river standards but not small either.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still glad that the logging operation left this spot for others to find.
The clear cut is just as large as it was from last trip in, so I guess a new Forest in 40 too 60 years is in the making.
I'm ok with industry, but when it is noticeable from a space ship it makes me wonder at times.

Many folks by now realize I'm not from this planet as its been a learning curve learning how too be human lost in space.

Any-who.

Had the chance too ride the edges of the cut-block too find many shelters like this, some in good shape, and others not so much.

Donkey is wondering what this will look like as he ages

Good too see most the burn piles are done smoldering, only a few with hot spots.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Donkey, I, and Kow did so much sight seeing that we missed out on many photo opertunities, all Kow could think of was foooooood.

After lunch we toured more areas too run across a trappers cabin. Hope too swing by some time too say hello, as I've meet many of them out in these parts.

The sun was setting as I ran across these trails,

Guess that means a few more trips too find things that are lost back here.

The free Lance plan of no plan seems to work out on every adventure out for all of us. That way we can find our own lost as needed.

The trick for me is a map book, flip the pages and try too make that pin drop.
A river, Lake, or old air strip are good places too chose.
Sometimes a old slash line will lead us where we do or don't want to be,,, but we won't know this till we get there.

Don taking in more as work shift winds down.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today is BC run for 2 weeks unless I get kidnapped by some Sasquatches. Ha.

Nill for snow West of Calgary.

A road well travelled, and in good weather for the 2 wdr cabin on wheels.

Time too find out what's hiding behind the clouds.

Oh Yha, blue skies and Gray stone pinnacles for as far as I can see.

A good chance the Onda with tracks will get me into the hart of paradise.

Camping off grid is the plan as I've been doing it since 2005, before that I was just sleeping in th the cab of a 1977 rusted out GMC single cab on trips sledding in BC starting in 1987. LOL.

Sure glad the invention of the extended cab showed up. Full time sleeping system is a must when ruffing it.
Gen-set will be running double over time too keep the Lem and gear toasty warm all night long.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was Lone Wolf camping East of a big Lake thinking I was the only crazy dude back here,,, "WRONG."

The forests out here are full of folks living in vehicles, ply-wood shacks covered with blue tarps, and empty plastic barrels too catch water, Ha.

Just had coffee with a fellow that drug a 1968 old school holiday trailer in the bush too live life out.

He's been in this same spot for 42 years living life full bore, makes my "Less is More" idea look bad. LOL.

He has human contact once in a while when needed, but humans let him down so he fore-goes life with out.

Much like now past on "Windy Bones from Okanagan Valley.
Warm weather, 2 horses, canvas tarp, flint and fire power.
Old Windy was a one man show till he left the planet with a smile on his face from a rattle snake bit.

He wouldn't of wanted it any other way as he hoped that his body would go back to earth the way it offered life too him. Ha.

He would of been pizzed had he known that someone found him on the hills over looking the lake.
Guess he should of had a note in a plastic bottle tied around his neck telling folks too let him remain hidden as mother earth would recycle his remains for the next generation.

Another story for another time.

Old Ford 2 wdr took me too the Windy Bones area as I find out more on the terrain this one man show took on in his days on earth. At least I have a cabin on wheels too call home.

Windy Bones would of told me about his "Less is More" program that would make me feel that I'm a person living beyond my American life style

My plan is about the same as Windy's. Come too earth with nothing as we hope we leave in the same order.
No foot prints left behind as Pappa Earth reclaims all signs of who we once we're.

Tracker Lem on the search for signs of a lost friend.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kow & Donkey have never been out this way, so what and eye opener.

They wanted for all of us too take the dip, Ha. Way too cold for the Lem Lamb. LOL

Donkeys nicker-nackers had him singing a much higher sounding song, Kow just took it in since She is accustom too all kinds of weather. LOL.

It's summer down here in the Lower Valley. Looks like alot of winter is still up top.

Reporting from what they call "God's Country." Lem Lamb at +14c. If Canada could be this temp at all times I'd be in my glory.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha,,, Too Funny.

My buddy just showed up in his new too him unit called "Big Beaver One."

It's his home away from home cabin on wheels.
Best fishing rig too date.

Good times forward as its summer time out here today. +18c

Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC adventure is rapped up, lots of snow up top for a few more months.

But the weather is nice here at home, so it's rubber tire time once again.

Off with the tracks as I've logged on 1600 kms on them,,, 800 k in reality as my track drive sprockets are 1/2 of what tires are.

And grease and gear oil mix too prevent rust from moisture. Camoplast has all the off season storage info in the maintance / service manual.

Old tires look like new, so 2 more years as I rack up the kms till the cords are hanging out. LOL.

The bestest tire is one that is bald weather cracked, lots of plugs in all 4 tires, and side wall tears from jagged sticks.

Never get rid of things too early, and something that works.

Kow & Donkey did the idler wheel bearing inspection,,, all good for 5 too 7 years unless I start sooner in the fall with tracks.
Mud and Dirt could be enemies too bearings.

Top Bottom