Lost in the West

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you may have to get a SxS to carry all your stuff? lol. or put a pack on the donkey and cow?

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SxS might be a gooder idea, then I can bring my tall friends with me, Ha

Happy Festive season too all and safe travels too you and loved ones.

Lem

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yer bud is a tall fella, maybe a bit full of hot air ha.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blazing trails toodaye, Ha.

Not keen on the hot temps since the mosquitos will be back at it and furry Bears will be walking the ATV sections looking for wild Kows & Donkeys.

Seems that -30C keeps them at bay.

Oh well,,, any day getting eaten by a restless bear is better than a day at work drinking coffee, sleeping, and dreaming about finding the furry critters that enjoy chasing us on foot.

Run Forest Run. LOL

From out of shape Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trails out West are in good shape now that the snow has crunched with the warm temps from the last few days.

Pal and I planned on the day since its easy to get into the tuff sections that are normally un-passible threw the summer, deep ruts don't work well for our little units, best that we adventure when frozen.

Kow and Donkey joined in on the Rain-Deer games, Ha.

And they approve the Onda track idea with hoffs, plus they would rather ride then walk.

Got a chance too use the escape planks as they did what they are made for, next set will be 24" to 30" that will better suit the log jam climbs.

Front tracks are designed to go over logs, but the triangle rear tracks are not.

The rear tracks wedge down-ward when they in-counter logs, same for backing up with front tracks as the back of them are triangle shape that do the same thing.

Options are, cut the downed trees, use escape planks, or go around in the deep snow that is easy for the Onda track system.

Pal Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a mix of folks on tires and those on tracks travel at different rates of speed depending on trail conditions of ice, snow cover, smooth or ruff, and downed trees.

Folks with rudder tires can assist in the outting by allowing us with tracks too fit in at the pace they allow, tracked up units like push-cats, track-hoes, and husky 8's need extra time much like ATV's/ UTV's pretty much the same.

Units with tracks can rock when the conditions and terrain allow it, but one might want to be wize when its not,,, snapping off a A-arm, splitting the inner frame, or snapping off a steering link would be bad as the unit would become a frozen boat anchor at that point.

Today we scouted out the best of the best sunken creek crossing as the high degree bank areas play no favours too rudder tire units and deffinatly not tracks.

My travel partner was glad I took my time since it allowed both units we had too go and return on our adventure, this will and is the main game plan on all my outing with tracks... It has too be this way to prevent things from going South,,, "mechanicaly" that is.

Camo Plast sells these tracks ad all season which they are, but gravel roads, seismic cut lines with spear sticks and harvested corn field stocks are not quality terrain too run on,,, this is tap it kool stuff for longevity thing.

Our idea on damage repair, extra time and money from not following a trip plan could play a role in all adventures, so a person or group need to be willing to accept changing plan in route threw out the day.

If the going is good, then get at it, if conditions are not, then adjust the track unit too it. Simple, easy, fast too do this as one will be able to ride care free all season long.

I for one am glad that tracks fit into my world, and those that plan on this thing now have a take on "some of the pros and Con's on how they work.

More too learn and share in months ahead.

Slow and steady pal Lem

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, more snow would make it easier to get around! yer a learnin don! and they say ya can't teach an old dog new tricks! ha well the cow and donkey can do the learning for ya.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha, seams like Donkey doesn't have much patients when at the controls, he has blinky blink of his eye lids going on at all times,,, "Dip-Shear-E-A" the real meaning to this work is a Chitty out look at life, LOL,,, Kow is the opposite as she is always happy excepting life the way it is,,, "optimistic, pessimistic, or realistic as she claims, Ha" I think she's just plan nuts; "no disrespect too nuts as I fit into this category with the many that follow this path. LOL.

Any-who, sure was nice too have a spotter for the ride yesterday that was taking in the track too terrain action as he could spot things a driver can not see when in operation.

Example of one thing is:

Crossing downed logs.

The front tracks are rounded edge triangles as they allow for easier steering and attack-aproch when encountering these logs," some-what" that is,,, going forward that is.

The rear tracks are flat along the bottom and fit the triangle shape more,,, this style "pattern/design" is non 10", 12", and larger down log non-friendly.

As the rear tracks approach the log in slow or fast gear they hit the log and the front of track wants to dive under log / back of track kicks up assisting this dive-under idea,,, Ha,,, ain't going to happen since the ground is frozen.

The prevent rear track flip over rods with springs build bind up tighter than a fiddle string till they allow the spinning rudder track too bit into frozen downed log that allow track too slam hard and fast too let the spinning rubber track too get up and over log,,, this is the "WOW" factor.

I'm guessing this kind-off encounter is hard on quad swing arm, rear pumpkin and axle bearings, the front boggys that hold the track in alignment, the frame / cradle that makes up the track assembly, and Donkey knows what other things take a lickn. Summer time and soft would be worser as it "could" allow rear track too dart down & under allowing the power too drive it down as speed would allow the quad too continue along till the rear tracks stay and they rip free,,, "Whoowser" might be the word.

This is the reason of the escape planks, chain-saw, or find another way around. Same can be said for the back angle of front tracks when backing off a downed log, this is where fore-sight comes in, after the fact too if one finds the unit in this pickle.

Yes,,, some downed logs can be crossed, some ruts as well, but one needs too think ahead once in a while, "if one wants to get year after year smooth adventures."

More too follow

Lem, Kow, and Donkey

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes best to be proactive in finding easy solutions to troubles found on the trail to adventure! getting rammy and full speed ahead gets expensive rather fast. may take some time to understand. good thread you got going on tracks. where you a train engineer in past life?

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cross referenced my face in place of those front boggys on the rear track support frame running into those downed frozen trees, this my friends is a bad situation to be in while clipping along in first gear little lone 2nd or 3rd.

The impact of collision when the 2 meet is alot of impact as the tree ain't going anywhere and the momentum of 750 lbs of Onda wants too continue in motion,,, this "could" be where the space shuttle de-parts from the rocket boosters, Ha.

Nor good as the rear track assembly is supposed too have rocket engines attached at all times, "too funny" if the engines disconnect before the beginning, mid-way, or end of day.

I can vision the damage of ripped off A-arm, or swing arm on 45 degree angle missing a rocket boosters, Ha.

Major Tom calling Ground Control, we have an issue up here, over !!!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NASA need another seven astronauts. :D

ya! for another pretty face you got alot going on up in that scull cap of yours. ;)

cheapest way to fiqure this method of travel is to go slow, ask questions read everything you can! i asked the dealer in lac la biche a bus load myself, got us through the winter, fixed problem areas as we went, lots of front end bushings, etc replaced in the spring. steep learning curve. lots of stumps, big rocks, hills iced up, had fun though!

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today is another Onda / Track-A-Rama Day, Ha.

Hope too log on 7 too 9000 k before returning to tires, Western Americas rock with end-less land mass of awesomeness.

Only enough in one's life time to see less than 0.001% of how much is there, if I could just figure out how too pack all that gas too explore it all.

Reporting from Zipper Lip Creek and Whisper Mountain region along the foot hills of Eastern Slopes, Lem

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today is another Onda / Track-A-Rama Day, Ha.

Hope too log on 7 too 9000 k before returning to tires, Western Americas rock with end-less land mass of awesomeness.

Only enough in one's life time to see less than 0.001% of how much is there, if I could just figure out how too pack all that gas too explore it all.

Reporting from Zipper Lip Creek and Whisper Mountain region along the foot hills of Eastern Slopes, Lem

what? here i thought you was full of gas!!!! haha.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only when I'm running on bean power, Ha.

Best outtings in-volve frugal 2 wdr F-150, gets me too play ground and back on nill of fuel.

Good times in bush camp set-up of cozy warm fire when needed.

Kow, Donkey, and Lem Lamb approved.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All trails un-uesd till we showed up, Ha.

Water crossing is thick ice ahead.

Could of gotten around with 2 set of tire chains but tracks are doing gooder in the rolly foot hills.

Let's go guys, lots too explore in Paradise.

Kow, Donkey, Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All trails un-uesd till we showed up, Ha.

Water crossing is thick ice ahead.

Could of gotten around with 2 set of tire chains but tracks are doing gooder in the rolly foot hills.

Let's go guys, lots too explore in Paradise.

Kow, Donkey, Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure glad the track set come with small 16 tooth drivers as it allows for Onda too clip along at 0.01 to 5 kpr reved up in 1st gear,,, this makes for one smoooooooth ride, and it angers up the hills like a D-4 bull-dozer, Ha... Bet this tracks can chew the fur off a Grizzly Bear easy, LOL.

Came across a few branches that snagged the tracks, but a quick back-up too re-possion got things moving, another plus too not pinning it.

Lots of bush camps out this way, and hill top Out-looks for many miles in all directions.

This will have too be Apple Pie ride day as its easy getting past OHV wash-outs that are now frozen.

Tracks make the Onda farm quad a bush tool of glory on days like this.

Reporting from above frozen lakes bellow, Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My furry friends got a chance too enjoy the bon-fire lunch and a afternoon nappy nap, this is what relaxing is all about.

Then some more sight seeing from many Out-looks along the way.

I had trouble on this hill last year with tire chains, tracks sifted up it like nothing, I can see there will be many areas open too gooder times ahead.

Lem

Top Bottom