Looks like the kitty’s are back

Chrisp1

Reaction score
The proof is in the pudding. I have never been anywhere in the last 5 years where cats outnumbered polaris or skidoo mountain sleds. This thread is just another proof of that point. Things like the Yamaha partnership, or Textron buyout sure don't signal good things either. A competitive manufacturer doesn't need to do those things. I'm sure if someone could dig up sales data it would show the same.

Don't like it, that's fine.
Don't buy that, there are more of a certain sled on the hill so it must be better, adage. McDonald's sells more burgers than 5 guy's, that doesn't mean that they make a better burger. They all have pro's and con's, its whatever con's you're willing to live with will be the deciding factor.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From a Globe and Mail article today:

"Under the terms of the confidential settlement agreement, two active court cases in the United States and Canada will be dismissed."

Doo showing Cat mercy....pffft. What's in the Doolaid around here!? lol

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Nov 2, 2020

BRP, Arctic Cat reach global settlement over patent dispute between snowmobile rivals

brp.jpg

VALCOURT, Que. -- Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. and Arctic Cat say they have reached a global settlement to ongoing intellectual property disputes between the two makers of snowmachines.
Under terms of the confidential settlement agreement, two active court cases in the U.S. and in Canada will be dismissed.
Among the matters resolved is the dispute related to BRP's patents that place the rider closer to the front of the sled and Arctic Cat's full-sized snowmobiles with pyramidal frame designs.
Arctic Cat, a subsidiary of Textron Inc., and its Canadian dealers will be allowed to immediately resume the sale and delivery of its full lineup of snowmobiles in Canada.
The settlement comes nearly five months after a Canadian Federal Court judge ruled BRP is entitled to $2.83 million in damages from its rival due to a snowmobile patent infringement.

Justice Yvan Roy said Arctic Cat must pay BRP a royalty of $135 per unit on each of the nearly 21,000 snowmobiles infringing on the patent that were sold in Canada between 2008 and 2014.

BRP INC/CA- SUB VOTING (DOO:CT)

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nov 2, 2020

BRP, Arctic Cat reach global settlement over patent dispute between snowmobile rivals

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/polopol...age.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/brp.jpg

VALCOURT, Que. -- Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. and Arctic Cat say they have reached a global settlement to ongoing intellectual property disputes between the two makers of snowmachines.
Under terms of the confidential settlement agreement, two active court cases in the U.S. and in Canada will be dismissed.
Among the matters resolved is the dispute related to BRP's patents that place the rider closer to the front of the sled and Arctic Cat's full-sized snowmobiles with pyramidal frame designs.
Arctic Cat, a subsidiary of Textron Inc., and its Canadian dealers will be allowed to immediately resume the sale and delivery of its full lineup of snowmobiles in Canada.
The settlement comes nearly five months after a Canadian Federal Court judge ruled BRP is entitled to $2.83 million in damages from its rival due to a snowmobile patent infringement.

Justice Yvan Roy said Arctic Cat must pay BRP a royalty of $135 per unit on each of the nearly 21,000 snowmobiles infringing on the patent that were sold in Canada between 2008 and 2014.

BRP INC/CA- SUB VOTING (DOO:CT)

Textron should be ashamed putting their dealer network in Canada through this ordeal especially with the economy down and a pandemic on. $2.8 million is chump change for a company like that. Take your lumps and move on.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned all 3 (Cat/Poo/Doo) since 2014; and most of who hangs a beating on who right now is more related to who clutched and set up each sled. Also what you are comparing. A straight climb vs adding anything technical will yield a different beating. I'm too old now to not spend time sitting and watching; so I've seen each brand go from very average to dominating in the same bowl on the same day.
Definitely yep, seems also to come down to forward traction and efficiency of drive train. Dont get me wrong these 850 put out some nice power, really evident on hard pack that engines have some jam but once your in some **** they really even up, doos inefficiency and polaris poor track designs. Also the amount of ice build up on both is just brutal

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat dealers are still saying no “Blasts” this year. Snow check or nothing.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Textron should be ashamed putting their dealer network in Canada through this ordeal especially with the economy down and a pandemic on. $2.8 million is chump change for a company like that. Take your lumps and move on.
Not sure if you really even read the lawsuit. The $2.8M was a penalty for past sales of sleds. Going forward, no sales were allowed, period. Didn't matter how much they paid. That is what they have negotiated, to resume sales for what I assume will be a penalty of some sort or some relief of the watercraft lawsuit.

Last edited:

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you really even read the lawsuit. The $2.8M was a penalty for past sales of sleds. Going forward, no sales were allowed, period. Didn't matter how much they paid. That is what they have no negotiated, to resume sales for what I assume will be a penalty of some sort or some relief of the watercraft lawsuit.

Ya cat took it to BRP on that @ $47MM... plus royalties! That's a Kevin O'Leary shark deal!
BRP's bum still hurts over that LOL...

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you thought stateside? or does that play into warranty?

Would look harder at that option if I could go for a sled trip to Montana with the enclosed.

I’m sure it would be heavy feed at the border for duty ect would be heavy.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't buy that, there are more of a certain sled on the hill so it must be better, adage. McDonald's sells more burgers than 5 guy's, that doesn't mean that they make a better burger. They all have pro's and con's, its whatever con's you're willing to live with will be the deciding factor.

My comments to this point have had nothing to do with quality, performance etc. I'm solely talking about sales, ie the main metric in measuring the profitability of a snowmobile manufacturer.

If Cat can't manage to sell sleds there is little reason for them to continue developing new models or produce sleds at all.

Cat must bring something new to the table to maintain sales, who would buy 4 year old technology in the form of an 800 Alpha when Doo has an 850 turbo, and Polaris will be moving to the Matryx chassis with a N/A 850 motor.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My comments to this point have had nothing to do with quality, performance etc. I'm solely talking about sales, ie the main metric in measuring the profitability of a snowmobile manufacturer.

If Cat can't manage to sell sleds there is little reason for them to continue developing new models or produce sleds at all.

Cat must bring something new to the table to maintain sales, who would buy 4 year old technology in the form of an 800 Alpha when Doo has an 850 turbo, and Polaris will be moving to the Matryx chassis with a N/A 850 motor.
Uhh the same guys that are buying non turbo doos or new 800 Polaris's

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uhh the same guys that are buying non turbo doos or new 800 Polaris's
And the non-turbo doos are running a 5 year-old chassis......with a suspension that is bottom of the 4 manufacturers.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
so does this mean the Lockley corporation is going to sue all the current makers of side by side UTV's? Hmmmmm, this came out in 1970, and yet Willis and Dodge were built during the second world war and are considered side by sides..... hmmmmm

Lockley Wrangler made the first side-by-side off-road machine in 1970. Lockley Wrangler spent seven months in rebuilding. Originally it came with a twelve horse-power motor, but after that, they replace it by one from a Yamaha 480 snow-mobile.
Who-Made-The-First-Side-by-Side-UTV-780x470.jpeg

Top Bottom