looking into buying spot.

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions on how they work? Worth buying? What does it cost? Any info would be great. Thanks.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About 150 bucks possibly less shop around

then you need to activate it and subscribe to spot service....thats another 100- 150 bucks a year depending on how much you add to the service

you can add a few pre programed messages to say hello to the wife and ok and what not..its up to you...everone you asign gets a email....other buttons are for SOS or help.....those are self explainitory :cool:

you need 3 lithium triple A's to operate it

Ive got one......and it keeps things calm at home till I get back

sometimes I forget to press the right buttons and it causes confusion as well when no one get a email

but its good.....but needs to be in a open area ie on your machine or back pack facing up

watthead

Reaction score
Use the spot at work lots. They do work, just one of those things you never want to use. You can do a check in, and its relayed to a web page that can be accessed by family members or whoever. It shows your location on Google Earth. There's a help button and a 911 button. Haven't used the help button, I think it sends a email to a phone that you register when you sign up. If we were to hit help at work the office would send the nearest crew to us over to see what was happening. 911 sends to All local police, fire, ambulance. They look at your location and send helicopter or ground crews.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife loves my bihourly check ins. Piece of mind. Not sure how it works in a emergency situation but for the wife it's awesome. Prices are as mentioned above. Thy have 50 dollar mail in rebate so that helps.

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard they also track you so when you get home you can look on google and see everywhere you havr been?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard they also track you so when you get home you can look on google and see everywhere you havr been?

That is correct. It gives you a general map of your location. Every 20 minutes it sends out your signal of your location.
My 20 minute part might not be correct but i know it good system.
Use ours all the time.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The tracking feature is one of the things that is a addon feature with a yearly subscription, it auto-sends a marker (waypoint) every ten min. The operator can depress the send button as often as he wants for nothing. Your GPS unit will make a track of your trip ,and you can load it on your mapping software and then transfer it to Google Earth. :confused: Do a searce for Find Me Spot. for the prices for their services.

Bruce.

Last edited:

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes....if you hit the sign in button then hit the tracking button a few seconds later it leaves a tracking line on google earth and also the spot website for your friends to view or yourself later on

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will also say that the reception can be variable..cloudy day...deep in the trees etc

it all depends on where you are at the time..best advise again is to keep it somewhere with a clear view to the sky.....on the sled I keep it attached to the speedo bracket leave it there all day....on my enduro bikes it lives in the mesh outer of my camel back.....good lithium battries are key as well...other wise no prob

if I put in on the dash of my van for the ride home the reception gets iffy:rolleyes:

curious if you other guys with spot have the same issues

Top Bottom