looking for tridem scissorneck

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't ware money on a cheap trailer boydo especially with a scissor neck pay the extra to get a reputable name trailer
Buy a cheaper unit and you will pay later big time there is a reason bws is cheaper than doepker, peerless, scona, Gerry's etc. cheaper steel less functional design cheaper drums brakes cams etc.
the old pay now or pay later adage there is a reason a 2-3 yr old good brand trailer is still selling for the same or more than the new ones
Jmo

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep, my pops deals with him and gets the jackets and toques, and I get to argue with John Zork about their design shortcomings...lol.

Pat Sams is a great guy, known him for quite a few years. The ' old guard' that I worked for/ with, worked with him in the old Superior days. They've got some hilarious stories from those days of trucking.
Back to scissor necks, we've had really good luck with our doe-peckers, they're a nice trailer, center roll, 2 kicker rolls just in front of the axles for short shacks. And all our scissors have the flip over beavertails. This makes these trailers, in my opinion, the most versatile trailer going. You can pretty much do anything with this set up.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pat Sams is a great guy, known him for quite a few years. The ' old guard' that I worked for/ with, worked with him in the old Superior days. They've got some hilarious stories from those days of trucking.
Back to scissor necks, we've had really good luck with our doe-peckers, they're a nice trailer, center roll, 2 kicker rolls just in front of the axles for short shacks. And all our scissors have the flip over beavertails. This makes these trailers, in my opinion, the most versatile trailer going. You can pretty much do anything with this set up.
agreed....all of ours are flip rolls as well. a little more high maintenance than a fixed roll but well worth the trouble. decking off for loading equipment is hard on them, pounds out the neck area between the hinges and eats the lumber from front to back.

lots of guys bought the thick neck with provisions for neck extensions, they sure turned out to be useless for anything other than hiboy position loads where you can get the weight over the jeep. for equipment they are no good, running a heavy machine right to the neck still won't get the weights right unless you throw a booster on the back. those style are around a ton heavier than the low profile neck like the BWS in the picture.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed....all of ours are flip rolls as well. a little more high maintenance than a fixed roll but well worth the trouble. decking off for loading equipment is hard on them, pounds out the neck area between the hinges and eats the lumber from front to back.

lots of guys bought the thick neck with provisions for neck extensions, they sure turned out to be useless for anything other than hiboy position loads where you can get the weight over the jeep. for equipment they are no good, running a heavy machine right to the neck still won't get the weights right unless you throw a booster on the back. those style are around a ton heavier than the low profile neck like the BWS in the picture.

Yeah, I've probably seen 3 or 4 of those set ups loaded and laying down on the side of the road. Those neck extensions aren't a very good set up. You've got this beefed up scissor and then this spindly extension coming off the center of the trailer where there is no real support, as opposed to coming right from your frame rails. I never did like this set up.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Boydo, didn't mean to Hijack your thread.
Like was mentioned earlier, you want to be really careful when you're buying a used scissor neck, they are the work horses, so they see quite a bit of abuse. You probably would be pretty happy with a 40T, anything bigger and you lose on your payload because they get pretty heavy.
Have you looked at Camex? They're not cheap, but they have a fairly decent selection. Edmonton trailer by Acheson, Summit Trailer in Winterburn, Aspen in Nisku
Those are a few options for you. They could probably steer you in the right direction. They have customers coming in to buy new, and they might be able to tell you who is looking to sell their old trailers :) :beer:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Boydo, didn't mean to Hijack your thread.
Like was mentioned earlier, you want to be really careful when you're buying a used scissor neck, they are the work horses, so they see quite a bit of abuse. You probably would be pretty happy with a 40T, anything bigger and you lose on your payload because they get pretty heavy.
Have you looked at Camex? They're not cheap, but they have a fairly decent selection. Edmonton trailer by Acheson, Summit Trailer in Winterburn, Aspen in Nisku
Those are a few options for you. They could probably steer you in the right direction. They have customers coming in to buy new, and they might be able to tell you who is looking to sell their old trailers :) :beer:
I don't think it's a hijack, this info is good stuff for boydo. those thick neck scissornecks sell cheap compared to the lighter low profile non-extension neck style. a shady salesman will not point out their shortcomings, that's why we're here...:D

I do agree on the 40 ton vs 50 ton, especially in a fixed roll. we have them just because when you're out in the bush with a 40 ton and they want you to move stuff that you wouldn't usually haul on a tridem like D8's or 330 cat hoes. we've had bent axles on the 40t just from loading big stuff over the back end.

Last edited:

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been looking around but not much luck, does anyone know the weight differnce from a fixed to a flip roll? everytime i have looked at camex prices (used anything) i wonder who the hell can afford anything there. lots of stuff comes from across the street and i think they just add whatever number they like to it and wait for a guy to sign up on the never never plan.
i would almost prefer to find one that needs brakes, maybe some tires and tlc, as soon as it gets home i pull all the wheels and look anyways! thats usually followed by redoing the 7 wire and 50% of all other wiring! i would rather take the time and fix the ch!t right away than layin on the side of the highway trying to make lights work or any other crap! shop is always warm, highway is always cold!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like your way of thinking boydo -20 under the trailer fixing is cold but not bad the +5 to-10 Is the chits cause you cold wet dripping grrrrr

Yup camex is the place to go when nobody else will finance you. They would finance your dog at 28% lol
Weight difference Is probly around 1000 lbs I would guess but would depend on manufacturer

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Camex deals with the world market. Their equipment gets shipped all over. I was looking at a trailer back in 2007 and the salesman I was dealing with told me a few stories on selling stuff over seas a lot. $2 million over the lap top was one such story. Being more oilfield related is another way to inflate prices simple because when equipment is needed it's now, not tomorrow or next month. So they can afford to sit on things a very long time simply because sooner or later someone or some country will want it.

If you get a chance give Edmonton Trailer a call. Pat Sams (he's my uncle) is the man to talk with. He has a trapline of clients like you wouldn't believe ... Lol. Might be able to help you with what your looking for in particular. He might still be on holidays though I'm not sure.

Top Bottom