looking for opion on a sled

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
young friend of our is looking at a 09 Polaris rmk 800 .Does anyone know if there was real problems to watch out for or recalls to be aware of Thanks

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i knew a few guys that had a 900rmk all of them loved them and i believe they only change the can and intake in them.

they might have also done some venting for the clutches... i seem to remember them running supper hot

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That year is BAD for motors. I had a 08 800 and went through 5 motors. But if it has the fix kit in they are supposed to be good then. They are a nice sled to ride though.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad had an 09 Dragon 800 and had the lean spot in the program, with the program flash it was good to go and never missed a beat.

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are all of the noted major problems. This has been gone over in great detail many times.

1.) lean mid range, power commander or boondocker box or ecu reflash from dealer will take care of it.

2.) excessive factory piston clearance. Some are good, some are not. There is thr fix kit by mtntk i believe. Or even just afermarket pistons will eliminate piston and cylinder problems. Any crank problems you hear of probably started with this.

3.) voltage regulator failure. Costs about 200 to fix when it fails. Gauages wil flick on and off and youll get major bogging. Replacig with the update takes care of it. If t fails again youre probably having a problem somewhere else (magneto probably), dont drive with a blown VR because you can take out the ECU too. Its a quick easy fix to replace the VR.

Depending hiw you ride, you may want to upgrade the air shocks.

Dont let that scare you off. Those are the honest problems. The sled rips. I have an assault and i love the sled.

Last edited:

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If he likes working on sleds and it's a good deal go for it.If he has to take it to the dealer all the time to be fixed it will get expensive.Lots of info on here and Snowest.I got one for sale.lol

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for threads will check it out carefully I do not believe Joe at Cycle work would screw us over with it

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
engine and volatge regulators were the major ones. I haven't had any real issues with the newest updated ones. If the engine doesn't have the fix kit, spend the extra and get it installed.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
young friend of our is looking at a 09 Polaris rmk 800 .Does anyone know if there was real problems to watch out for or recalls to be aware of Thanks

Run!

Unless your young friend enjoys working on his sled all the time and being stranded in the backcountry. These sleds have a very bad rep and all these issues have been documented many times. Yes, there are fix kits available but even the Polaris guys can't agree on which ones actually work %100. Now you may get lucky and actually get that certain sled fixed right the first time, but chances are it will fail and cause some heartbreak.

Personally I would save up some more money and buy any other sled of that year. The 600 and 700 RMKS were good sleds though.

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run!

Unless your young friend enjoys working on his sled all the time and being stranded in the backcountry. These sleds have a very bad rep and all these issues have been documented many times. Yes, there are fix kits available but even the Polaris guys can't agree on which ones actually work %100. Now you may get lucky and actually get that certain sled fixed right the first time, but chances are it will fail and cause some heartbreak.

Personally I would save up some more money and buy any other sled of that year. The 600 and 700 RMKS were good sleds though.

I thought it was pretty unanimous that the pms fix kit was the best. From what I read anyway.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would tell your friend to look at another brand or spend more on a fairly new polaris!I don't think its worth the risk buying it and hoping it's a 'good' one!I had a 08 800 dragon that had issues from day one!Everything from shocks to engines.The polaris guys say there is a 'fix' but I have yet to see one that works 100%!Some of these issues were still happening in 2010 models!Because of that 800 engine a lot of guys jumped ship from polaris,myself included!Also your buddy will be dealing with a sled with no more warranty,not that polaris was good about standing behind it with those sleds anyways!Tell your friend to keep looking!!

Top Bottom