Looking for opinions on a 2002 RMK 800

pollard

Reaction score
Looking at picking up a 2002 RMK 800 for around $3000.
It looks like it is in really good shape. I have noticed a lot of RMK 700's for sale but not many 800's.
How is the reliability of the 800 compared to the 700?
I have seen some people complain of some of the polaris motors around this era, is this one of them?

Any other remarks you have on this sled...good\bad. I live in Kamloops and will be using it to access skiing and some mtn. riding but nothing too crazy.

I am anxious so any comments you have would be appreciated.

Have a safe winter.

greatfanta

Reaction score
have a 03 and love it stayed away from 800 cause of all trouble with bearing not real knoledgeable about 800 just what i read

mikewayne

Reaction score
Website
www.usasuperbikes.com
800 is far more better than the 700.... probably you will not find 800 for sale because lots of guys switch from 700 to the 800... performance on 800 is the best... I think its a fair deal... go for it...!!!

jer82

Reaction score
I have the 01 800 and also really enjoy it, I have had to do the motor once since I have had it, but I enjoy the performance for the price!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
polaris 800's are notorious for crank issues. Poor small bearings and tolerances makes them time bombs.

chassis is bombproof

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the first squeeze of the throttle, that straighten your arms out, to the pullin' like a freight train, all through the throttle range, these sleds rock.

Yes they had problems with cranks. This was NOT a bearing problem. Because of the monstrous torque, and power this sleds build, thepto end of the engine cases would stretch and "egg shape", causing the crank to snap off at either the pto bearing, or the pto side rod.

Before buying, I would measure the crank runout on the pto side. I would also not let this scare you off of buying one of these sleds, as they are easily repaired by a company called Indy Specialty. The fix is to have the cases line bored, and larger surface area bearings put in on the pto, and mag sides, as well as having the crank pins welded. Clutch balancing is also paramount on these machines for crank longevity, but is on any sled.

I have a 2001, that was rebuilt by Indy Dan, from Indy Specialties, and absolutely love it

finndoo

Reaction score
I had an 02 800 that for 2500 miles I just put gas and oil into it and beat the crap out of it, I did virtually nothing to it besides a new belt a season. At 2500 miles the motor went wrecked the crank, cracked the cases scratched both cylinders and pistons. Had it redone and rode another 1000 miles trouble free before I sold it and got my lemon King Cat. I would say that if the motor has been recently done with a big bearing kit, and it is otherwise clean go for it. If the motor has never been touched i would stay clear of it unless you can get it cheap enough to cover the cost of a rebuild. Overall I did like the RMK 800, not too bad on gas, handling was decent for its time, and the chassis never gave me any grief.

Taylzee

Reaction score
Like Heavy d said...check the run out on the crank. Or just talk the guy down in price with the plan to go with an Indy Dan bottom end right off the bat if it hasn't been done. These sleds are fun and bullet proof once the bottom end is delt with!

Xtremist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had an 01 800 rmk before i bought my apex, was an awesome sled. i did the top end when i bought it and put 3500 miles on it after that with a 60 hp NOS kit, reeds, polish/port job etc and never had to twist a wrench on the hill once. now thats not to say that every sled will run as good as the one that i had did, but you can say that for any make/model. IMO go for the deal if it checks out...

Top Bottom