Looking For Advice from Novice / Expert Back Country Riders on Steep Downhills

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not new to dirt bikes but I am very new to back country riding on one. I am an avid snowmobiler in the winter and I usually ride track in the summer (but not very much "I'm ok").

I am riding a 2000 WR400F

Just after the May long weekend I was out in koocanusa with some buddies and I brought my bike along; before this trip I had only ever ridden my bike in the back country once and it wasn't very involved. We had a blast and it was a very successful weekend without anyone getting injured. While I was there I encountered some pretty intense back country riding at least to my eyes. Let me say that hill climbing on a bike is NOTHING like sledding... and coming back down... OMG... This is where my question lies.

With sledding I am used to "ALWAYS" having some sort of braking while going down hills by using the engine to brake or when things get out of control being able to dig a ski in but these options are either limited or non existent on a bike.

I encountered some narrow single track steep hills through the trees on my ride, these weren't too bad as the dirt was soft and a bit loose so brakes worked perfectly and engine braking was good due to the traction. I was able to creep down and wind around the trees with the track. Eventually I made it to some hills that looked like were only for going up and not down but there wasn't another way and I didn't want to go all the way around (didn't know the area well). The terrain looked similar to a run out for rainfall (hard pack clay with rocks large and small). I tried my best to take the same approach I did with the other downhills I encountered in the trees but it didn't go as smoothly. I had to use little to no front brake to avoid the front tire skidding through the rocks or sending me over the bars so most of the braking was down on the back. I tried to engine brake as much as possible but there wasn't enough traction with the hard pack and rocks so eventually the back tire started to "skip" while still picking up speed. Afraid for my transmission and chain I pulled in the clutch for a brief second and tried to use only brakes but after gaining about 20 kph in a millisecond i reluctantly let it back out and just rode it out the best i could till the back tire finally caught some traction near the bottom and slowed me down. The entire ride down the hill was sketchy but was thankful for not going down.

Now for the question:
When encountering downhill terrain like this or any time on a bike what are some hints tips or tricks that anyone can offer to ensure you always make it to the bottom safely and without wrecking your bike? I read that you should be going downhill at the same speed you go up the hill but that can be intimidating for someone that is green in the back country on a bike but I guess makes sense.

Anything you wanna share feel free

Thanks
Mav

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
That back wheel skip and chain chatter won't hurt your bike. Watch your front tire closely and grab a handful of brakes every time you know it won't wash out on you. The more you practice the better you get. If you get right crazy, put it sideways like your skiing and stop. Regain your nerves and go again.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best advice I have is good tires and keep standing. It may seem like you will have more weight over the back tire sitting down but that's not the case.

Braap!

Reaction score
Website
mistymountainphoto.ca
I just close my eyes and hope for the best !
GOPRO8529snapbw.jpg
GOPRO8529snapcw.jpg

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice photos Braap!

Mav - as SumX54 said, the wheel skip, chain slap and even a little extra rpm run on while in a low gear is not going to hurt anything.

One thing you might want to check is your rear tire pressure. Running a lower pressure may allow a little more grip when braking. The biggest thing you don't want to do is lock up the rear tire, that will cause uncontrolable skidding. Getting some weight reward and learning to use the front brake at the appropriate time will be the best. The more down hills you traverse the more confidence you will have in using the front brake. Your bike has lots of engine braking so I would imagine in a few rides you would gain the confidence you need for the big downhills.

If you want to see sketchy downhills try a 2 stroke with a trials tire. :p

Hey but you know how to get ahold of me to go riding. I can take you to some great terrain with some really fun single track which has numerous ups and downs which gives lots of variety.

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weigh back over the rear wheel, engine braking and a light pull on the front brake not locked up I like to use one finger to manipulate the front brake and look ahead to pick a good line down.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, sounds like I just need seat time :p now just gotta make some trips!

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New tires makes more difference than you would think. Sit way to the back and use most of your concentration on looking well ahead along your line and feathering your front brake to get as much braking as you can without losing traction. Your back brake you can try and feather but its not as much problem if you lock it up as if you lock the front.

Looking well ahead of your fender, picking the downhill line with the most traction, makes a big difference and like you heard earlier, slam harder on the brakes in spots with more traction.

Top Bottom