Looking at Snow biking. I was Just wondering the Negative's to having a snowbike?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen other than the above an additional sucky thing is they don't do hard icy trails very well.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think that breaking down would suck... pretty and to double out on a bike.. LOL

Especially in the backcountry.

pat84

Reaction score
The down side is they are a money pit! Factory seat sucks, several options to fix that. I've got a fisher seat and it's nice! A Yeti ski is leaps and bounds better on hard pack trail compared to the TS ski. 5th gear WFO all day if you want. Seriously, its that good. A shot of nitrous helps the lack of power, somewhat. I blew my motor last winter and got towed out behind a sled. It was pretty simple once we figured out where to tie the rope to the bike, and the tow job wasn't that difficult. We kept up to the other sleds on the way out. I still ride with sleds and have fun, we just ride the terrain a little different. As lilduke said if hill climbing is your thing, the snowbike isn't a good choice. Keeping the engine warm is important. A thermostat and a PST engine blanket has worked for me. You'll also need a thermometer to monitor temps. With the cover all the way up it will get too hot. All that said, its a blast! Try one if you get the chance!

HILCLMR

Reaction score
I came from a world of race gas on turbos and big bores, to go to a machine I can ride all day for $20 is quite a relief.
I started with a used bike that fit most of the requirements for a snow bike. Thermostat, electric starter with kick start, big engine, made bigger by me. Bought my 2015 kit used. All in my bike rips, definitely not for straight up pulls, but thats for sleds. Where I go on my bike I wouldnt even look at on my sled. Riding untracked technical terrain all day is so much fun.
Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's the one I just bought. The biggest issue I have so far is that big chit eating grin on my sons face. I haven't riddin it yet. He might give it back in time to put the wheels back on in the spring. :D

According to him though, the hard trail handling problem is really a serious issue. Not if you can get to untracked snow right away I guess, but we rarely have that option around here.

image4r.jpg

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried the jump this year and sold it to go back to a sled. Been sledding now for 23 years and just found that it wasn't for me and wouldn't get me to the terrain that the rest of the group would be riding. It would get me into other terrain that they couldn't for sure (tight trees and really big side hills) but just didn't do it in the normal stuff we ride. On top of that the trail handling on hard pack was brutal and on ice it was just downright scary. I have been riding bikes on trail, supermoto and ice for many years as well so it isn't a function of no experience on a dirt bike.

I could see having alot of fun in a group of only snowbikes as you could use much different terrain than the sleds and wouldn't bother with the whole trail ride up to the area.

$$$$$$$ is another big thing. To do one of these properly you need alot more than a bike and a track to make it a remotely reliable machine to ride. Once they are properly converted the conversion back and forth would not be something i would do and would end up with a dedicated snowbike.

Just my $.02

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the info. It's giving me stuff to think about. What are the costs? I know about the bike and track kit costs but what other costs?

pat84

Reaction score
You could really spend as much or as little as you want. Necessities I think are thermostat, engine shroud, hand guards, maybe a seat and heavier fork springs. Everything after that are luxuries. And you can keep on spending and spending and spending!

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$25k and no warranty would be my biggest problem. They are fun though.

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like others have said must haves
- thermostat
- temp gauge
-engine shroud
- decent light or helmet light
The rest are all creature comforts , seat, hot grips, riser, lights , e-start more hp. I'm on my third season it's been a blast the first 2 seasons rode with sleds only and no problem keeping up now bunch of the boys got bikes so it just gets better and the terrain you get into is crazy and almost effortless. You can always ride fresh on bikes
Downsides
- no cooker on bike yet
- icy trails can be challenge ( yeti ski is huge handling improvement in all conditions)
- real deep days they can struggle getting up some stuff but still a blast (if all you do is ride open alpine an do big pulls all day stay on a sled )
- perma grin not really a downside lol I rarely ride my sled unless it's crazy deep, sleds for sale
Braaap

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 493
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 485
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:

Townzy

Reaction score
Lets see, lets see…negatives…..negatives
1.Endlessly trying to wipe smile off my face
2.Feeling great after a full day riding endless POW
3.Arms and legs feeling great not having to lift out my Turbo Nytro or my buddies Turbo Nytros
4.Riding with other guys on bikes having an absolute blast all day! No matter if its foggy or bad vis.
5.Having no bad days
6.I do hate falling over on rare occasion because my legs are too short when I am in waist deep untracked POW.

Just get one and start enjoying your days

I'm just an average guy who enjoys having fun with my bike

KTM 450 Big Bore with 129 yeti and Turbo Baby!

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets see, lets see…negatives…..negatives
1.Endlessly trying to wipe smile off my face
2.Feeling great after a full day riding endless POW
3.Arms and legs feeling great not having to lift out my Turbo Nytro or my buddies Turbo Nytros
4.Riding with other guys on bikes having an absolute blast all day! No matter if its foggy or bad vis.
5.Having no bad days
6.I do hate falling over on rare occasion because my legs are too short when I am in waist deep untracked POW.

Just get one and start enjoying your days

I'm just an average guy who enjoys having fun with my bike

KTM 450 Big Bore with 129 yeti and Turbo Baby!
Out of curiosity, what kind of numbers do they lay down with the turbo?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Townzy

Reaction score
What you talking?
0-60
Weight
Boost
Hotness scale 1-10

They are not a sled my friend. A bike is a different animal than a sled. Guess would be 100 plus? Never dyno'd it.

Sorry I don't know the numbers brother as far as HP. Boooooost at 10 lbs average

PS I love the Traxxas comment. Pure money!

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some manufacturers are betting on this being a growth market.....Arctic Cat is about to launch the 1st factory produced snowbike so maybe the "winter running" issues of a converted dirtbike will be addressed and recently, Polaris purchased Timbersled.....time will tell if this market takes off.

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What you talking?
0-60
Weight
Boost
Hotness scale 1-10

They are not a sled my friend. A bike is a different animal than a sled. Guess would be 100 plus? Never dyno'd it.

Sorry I don't know the numbers brother as far as HP. Boooooost at 10 lbs average

PS I love the Traxxas comment. Pure money!
I was more or less curious about a ballpark hp number. Not that it really means anything to me. Just a dumb curiosity lol. Haha I gave up on the ol t-maxx years ago. It went for a violent cartwheel that ripped the motor off an I never bothered fixin it.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered what happens when you're going uphill and need to grab the clutch for a gear change. I would think it would be the same as a sled when your belt blows up or chain snaps.. stop instantly... I must be wrong, yes?

KermitZx6r

Reaction score
I've always wondered what happens when you're going uphill and need to grab the clutch for a gear change. I would think it would be the same as a sled when your belt blows up or chain snaps.. stop instantly... I must be wrong, yes?

Lots of guys install a recluse clutch. Which makes shifting clutch less.

And even if they still have the clutch. I'm assuming they'd have enough forward momentum to allow them to switch gears.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We spent a day in silent pass with a snow bike and my experience is on good pow days they don't do very well, we had too limit where we went cause it just won't climb. The guy stopped and fell over because of clearance a few times and while taking breaks it didn't look comfortable too sit on, another group had one with a turbo which I'm sure made it climb better but zero interest in those for me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Not sure if he's a member here but we had two riding with us a MM9 and the one guy on a husqvarna went any where we could go and did it with ease in some cases made it look easier than a sled. And even the Yamaha 450 that was with us with a a guy who'd only been on the bike for maybe 5 days made it look effortless. I'm no biker but they sure are cool machines

Top Bottom