Looking at Snow biking. I was Just wondering the Negative's to having a snowbike?

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was Just wondering the Negative's to having a snowbike? What do you have to do to the bike to get it to work well? What length of track should a guy go with? Any help would be great.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was Just wondering the Negative's to having a snowbike? What do you have to do to the bike to get it to work well? What length of track should a guy go with? Any help would be great.

Thermostat if it doesn't have one. Depending on suspension stiffer Springs in the front. There is a lot more info on snowest than here for snowbikes

Reaction score
Tight trails, loading, falling over, lack of power, high maintenance of a MX bike, kick start and starting in cold, using a bike in application it was never designed for.

All that goes away after your first back country ride.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tight trails, loading, falling over, lack of power, high maintenance of a MX bike, kick start and starting in cold, using a bike in application it was never designed for.

All that goes away after your first back country ride.
Oh and 21,000.00 or better

KermitZx6r

Reaction score
What's needed to be done to a bone stock bike to become a decent snowbike? How much would it cost minus the cost if a bike?
-----
Anybody here ever ride a motorcycle(Supersport bike) with a track and ski?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there's a dude on SW that has built a sled/bike hybrid, using a steel frame Honda and a 600cc sled motor and drivetrain. in a few vids he's posted it looks pretty sweet. CVT clutch and it rips.
attachment.php

KermitZx6r

Reaction score
there's a dude on SW that has built a sled/bike hybrid, using a steel frame Honda and a 600cc sled motor and drivetrain. in a few vids he's posted it looks pretty sweet. CVT clutch and it rips. http://www.snowest.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=262975&d=1451272904

That looks badass. On another note, I called timbersled last winter to see how they felt their track kits would perform on a Supersport motorcycle(Zx6R). They basically told me I'd hate my life riding it. Unless you were basically doing straight up climbs. As he said the bikes were to heavy when needing to pick them up in the soft snow.

Stock for stock comparison, I still wonder how it would perform. As a stock 450 Weighs roughly 250 lbs and puts out approximately 55-60 hp. And a stock 600cc Supersport weighs about 420 lbs and put out about 110 hp.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah a timbersled sport bike would be a nightmare...lol I ride with a lot of guys with SnowBikes. Pretty cool units.

Make it possible for lesser riders to almost keep up in the trees...haha Unless the snow is deep and Im going up, then they can't follow.

Best bike I've seen in action yet is a KTM450 with a BB and Yeti kit. It climbs pretty good.

Id suggest trying one out first.

My friend Rob Winder rents out the Timbersled Kits on Yamaha Bike in Revy.

Revelstoke Snow Bike Rentals 250-200-0277

Or Rent a Yeti Kit from Rozzy @ RozzyMX 306-221-3883

Biggest down side I have seen is the reliability. :beer:

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To the OP. The issue that many have is keeping the motor at a decent temperature. A thermostat does help, but the snow spray in the deeper stuff, just cools the motor way down.
On the EFI bikes, the bike tends to overfuel, as the engine temp. sensor is tied into the ECM. It senses the cold coolant, and fuels accordingly.
Yah, there is a learning curve setting it up, its not for everyone, but I am having fun with it ! :d

johnnytrail

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone know who might demo units on flat land ? around edmonton ?
I am interested in these and would love to try out one

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at Snow biking. I was Just wondering the Negative's to having a snowb...

I think there's a company around mallaig that might demo one for you, I think they have a couple different brands of kits too. The name is escaping me at the moment but they usually have ads on infomall.ca trading post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Looking at Snow biking. I was Just wondering the Negative's to having a snowb...

There is a video of a sport bike snowbike on you tube. It's very crazy.

Husaberg76

Reaction score
The biggest downside is my new sled was a waste of a purchase. Im never going back. And yes, finding other snowbike riders. Rare are the sledders that will keep up with you in the tight woods.

Top Bottom