looking at new beacons

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i am in the market for a new beacon. I am trying to decide between the barryvox pulse, pieps dsp, and ortovox s1. From the reviews i have been reading i have narrowed it to the pulse or s1. I am kind of leaning towards to s1. Any input on these models would be nice. does any one know if orthovox is coming to the sled show this year? thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Slayer666

Reaction score
I bought a S1 last year and its crazy simple to use. Luckily I have never had to use it for a rescue but just playing around with it and practicing. You have to be pretty braindead to not be able to find some one with it.

deathtoll

Reaction score
I bought a S1 last year and its crazy simple to use. Luckily I have never had to use it for a rescue but just playing around with it and practicing. You have to be pretty braindead to not be able to find some one with it.

lol sometimes after a avalanch you feel pretty brain dead i saw the spot beacon on snowmobiler tv it looks good i would take a look:cool::beer:

Hangfire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.hngfiretraining.com
Pieps DSP! Of all the beacons people have from the AST courses I've taught, they seem to perform very well. Long range, very quick, multiple burial flagging. Super easy to use. I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. oh it does burn through the batteries if you practice with it a lot.. but who cares!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I have two Ortovox S1's and they appear to be extremely simple to work, truth is you don't know until you really have to put it to the test (in a life and death situation) but in back yard snow searches and practice sessions with my son last year I was extremely impressed.
One of my main concerns was having a peep that would automatically go into "send" mode if you quite moving, just in case of a second Avy releasing, the S1 does.

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Pieps DSP as well. I really like mine and it's simple too use.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought two of the S1's last year, I've never had to use them but during practices they perform beyond my expectations and are very simple to use. The biggest selling point for me was same as SBR, when they are inactive they go into send mode automatically which in the case of a second avy is a great feature to have if you happen to get caught in it while trying to find someone already.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought all beacons when turned on are automatically in send mode, you have to turn it to recieve mode to go find someone.

All4Traction

Reaction score
you're right, but if you are in search mode, you are not transmitting. So it sounds like if you stop moving (get hit by an avy by suprize) and cant switch back to send mode, it automatically switches back when you stop moving.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
That there was extremely important to me after all the deaths last year.
Here is a review.
you're right, but if you are in search mode, you are not transmitting. So it sounds like if you stop moving (get hit by an avy by suprize) and cant switch back to send mode, it automatically switches back when you stop moving.

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any one here have any problems with the screens on the s1? I have heard a few different story of people having bad one.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No issues with the screens on mine.

And yes when you are in search mode if god forbid something does happen and you are hit by an unexpected second avalanche after a (user set time) of none motion they will automatically go back into send mode.

Very big selling point for me........ I want to keep riding my sled and not have to worry about the wife's boyfriend getting my sled..... :d

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the BCA tracker DTS last winter and it worked really good when practicing.

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used the S1 at my AST level 1 course and did not like how the screen cut in and out in the cold. I purchased the Barryvox pulse and love it. I even try and give it to my buddies to use and I will take theirs because they will not have a chance of finding me or anyone with theirs. The Pulse is really simple to use much the same as the S1. So now my friends all have purchased the Barryvox:d:d

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the nice thing i like about the s1 is the infrared port for updating, if i was reading it right you can update it yourself while the other you have to send them in.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We both bought Berry Vox Pulse.....

Found the features easy to use,
Great Range

Really liked how easy the multiple buried features worked.

Practiced with several different units before we bought the Pulse units, suggest you do the same; it makes for an informed decision.

If you have taken an avalanche training course great, if not take the course then buy the unit that works best for you…great place to try all the brands review the features and bennifits...

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulse Barryvox

A few of us have and like them.
Has a heart rate monitor, lets you know who to dig for first in a multiple burial....Hopefully you actually don't have to use that feature!:(

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulse Barryvox

A few of us have and like them.
Has a heart rate monitor, lets you know who to dig for first in a multiple burial....Hopefully you actually don't have to use that feature!:(

I was shopping for Beacons today and this pulse monitor feature apparently is only effective if the beacon is not dislocated from placement against your chest. Neat feature though.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was shopping for Beacons today and this pulse monitor feature apparently is only effective if the beacon is not dislocated from placement against your chest. Neat feature though.

Yes, it needs to be close to your body. I find when it's on properly just over my base layer and under my mid layer and jacket it doesn't budge. It could move in an avy but it seems to strap on pretty good compared to my old beacon that slipped around and came loose.

Top Bottom