Lookin at new Polaris

aftermath

Reaction score
Hi all,
New to the forum, have looked at many informative posts on here, lots of help. I am going to buy a new quad and trying to make up my mind on what to get. I used to have a Honda 450, which was a good reliable machine, but too slow on dirt roads and a rough rider for my back.
I was looking at the King Quad and Yami Grizzly and possibly a friend of mines used 650 Rincon. I have never been a huge fan of the Polaris' a lot of guys I ride with have them and love them though. But, I looked at the new XPs and became interested in them. I know they are heavy, but they have an interesting driveline layout and some good specs.
I will use my quad to trail ride, hunt, and plow my pond/driveway. Does anyone here have the new XP, or an opinion on the difference between the 550 and 700 Grizzly?
Thanks for your reply to a lot of questions.

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
If you like fuel economy w/ good power, look at the KQ750. Heard reports of owners getting 150 km on one tank(17.6L), and upwards of 170k(if your not heavy on the loudhandle). Throw a good set of 26' or 27', clutch kit w/2mm mod, twin air filter and you will be satisfied. Sure it wont have the low end of brutes,outties or sportsmans. But you'll be laughin after 100 km and you still have just under half tank. The thing weighs 670 dry, priced around 10 w/ winch, 1yr warr., diff lock, FI.
hope this helps.

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
New to the forum, have looked at many informative posts on here, lots of help. I am going to buy a new quad and trying to make up my mind on what to get. I used to have a Honda 450, which was a good reliable machine, but too slow on dirt roads and a rough rider for my back.
I was looking at the King Quad and Yami Grizzly and possibly a friend of mines used 650 Rincon. I have never been a huge fan of the Polaris' a lot of guys I ride with have them and love them though. But, I looked at the new XPs and became interested in them. I know they are heavy, but they have an interesting driveline layout and some good specs.
I will use my quad to trail ride, hunt, and plow my pond/driveway. Does anyone here have the new XP, or an opinion on the difference between the 550 and 700 Grizzly?
Thanks for your reply to a lot of questions.
Just wondering why not a huge fan of polaris?
excellent bike and really not bad on fuel....tons of power and an excellent ride.:d:perfect10::thumbsup2:

uuoody

Reaction score
When I looked at the difference between the 550 and 700 Grizz, it looked like the price wasn't much more for the 700, ($800?) and there wasn't any weight savings with the smaller engine. I have the 700, and it is awesome.

aftermath

Reaction score
Hopefully I did not offend anyone with my Polaris comment. I have a few friends who own them have owned them (8 guys), I like their ride, speed, handling, but I could not get used to how far apart my legs were while sitting on the machine. I may sound like a wimp here, but it was not comfortable for my bull legs. Also I have noticed within this small sample size that many of them had many repeat problems. I used to own a Honda 450, probably the worst riding slowest quad in history, but it always ran without issue and was extremely reliable. I have a friends who are trappers and got tons of trouble free miles out of these Hondas.
That brings me to my question, of what quad to buy. Most of the big bore quads are very similar in specifications and size and I am looking for people's experiences with their quads. I really like the new Polaris, in my opinion they have come up with a great platform, that in my case is very comfortable to sit on. I guess I am just looking to see what people honestly think about their rides. I appreciate any comments and suggestions and since I am a newbie on this site I hope to not offend anyone.
Thanks
Chris

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I did not offend anyone with my Polaris comment. I have a few friends who own them have owned them (8 guys), I like their ride, speed, handling, but I could not get used to how far apart my legs were while sitting on the machine. I may sound like a wimp here, but it was not comfortable for my bull legs. Also I have noticed within this small sample size that many of them had many repeat problems. I used to own a Honda 450, probably the worst riding slowest quad in history, but it always ran without issue and was extremely reliable. I have a friends who are trappers and got tons of trouble free miles out of these Hondas.
That brings me to my question, of what quad to buy. Most of the big bore quads are very similar in specifications and size and I am looking for people's experiences with their quads. I really like the new Polaris, in my opinion they have come up with a great platform, that in my case is very comfortable to sit on. I guess I am just looking to see what people honestly think about their rides. I appreciate any comments and suggestions and since I am a newbie on this site I hope to not offend anyone.
Thanks
Chris
Absolutly no offence taken.I ride Polaris and love it and will probably never buy anything else,In the group that i ride with there is every kind of machine and everybody loves there choice I have seen great things done on all bikes.And I have seen the lemon in every brand.Buy the one you like and maintain it good and it will be golden.:perfect10::thumbsup2:

aftermath

Reaction score
Yeah, my decision will probably come down to dealers in the area. I have a lot of Polaris ones nearby, and most appear to want to do business. Unlike a lot of the dealers around, who in most cases have no customer service.
The new XP is sweet, I have looked at it a number of times now and it is moving to the top of the list.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my kawi. I bought a 60" plow this winter and it pushes it like nothing and its a great hunting machine.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm also looking very seriously at the new 850 XP, or the 700 Grizz. Right now i have a new Kawi 750 brute, but because of major wrist pain i need to sell it and get a machine with power steering. I haven't decieded yet but think i'm leaning closer to the Polaris, i have read tons of great reviews on these new units.
I have been a little nervous looking at polaris though, becuase i have also seen ALOT of Polaris atv's in the past have alot of little problems. It is great to see that many have also had very good luck with them as well, and with the new XP's they have been completly redisgned, and i have heard the devolpers listened to the customers problem areas and corrected all of them.
The only thing no one knows for sure yet is the long term reliabilty, as they haven't been out long enough yet.
So far with everything i have learned & read you will not regret getting an XP , bravo to the folks at Polaris....

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when i bought my 1st polaris i had looked at alot of other quads and i went for ride over anything else well the bike has ran flawlessly that was the 500 in my sig i then bought an 800 and a rzr i am getting rid of 800 as i never ride it only 234 miles on it since i bought it i will definatly by another polaris it has been great pulling the 2 broken down hondas out this past summer in my opinion all will break just get a good maintenance plan going then you will be fine

Top Bottom