Long storage help

bigred

Reaction score
Due to health reasons I have two sleds that have been in the storage shed since Feb of 2007. My concern is now what to do, i put fuel stabalizer in them but do not want to just go and try to start them up without knowing that will not cause damage. I would really appreciate any advice on the best method to follow as am looking forward to getting back out this coming season. Thanks in advance for your input is appreciated.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what I would do if they were mine.Drain out the fuel in the tank with a siphon hose.I think stabilizer is only good for 1 year.Refill the tank with fresh fuel and stabilizer.Remove the spark plugs and pour a small amount of oil down the plug holes.Turn the engine over by hand,probably 10 times or so,to make sure everything inside is oiled.Remove the carbs and clean out the dead spiders in the float bowls.Yes,I have actually seen this.Of course, clean out all the jets.Put it all back together and run it until the exchangers heat up.Shut her down and wait for the snow.Hope this helps and hope I didn't forget anything.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what I would do if they were mine.Drain out the fuel in the tank with a siphon hose.I think stabilizer is only good for 1 year.Refill the tank with fresh fuel and stabilizer.Remove the spark plugs and pour a small amount of oil down the plug holes.Turn the engine over by hand,probably 10 times or so,to make sure everything inside is oiled.Remove the carbs and clean out the dead spiders in the float bowls.Yes,I have actually seen this.Of course, clean out all the jets.Put it all back together and run it until the exchangers heat up.Shut her down and wait for the snow.Hope this helps and hope I didn't forget anything.

that should do it!
definately get rid of fuel!

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree - get rid of the fuel, oil the cylinders and check carbs. May be good to throw a little premix oil in the tank to ensure good engine lubrication for the first tank through.

Top Bottom