Lights for over length

taz3038

Reaction score
I was just wondering what kind of setup guys are using for lights on the end of the sled from when it overhangs from the deck? I think I'm close to being at the limit and want to have something anyway just in case. Any pictures would help as well. Thanks in advance

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Silly question, but I have never ran into trouble running a 155 and 163 on my 7' lotus so I have not done any research on the subject. what is the allowable limit for overhang?

taz3038

Reaction score
Not 100 percent sure but I'm thinking 4 feet. I've had a 163 on there and with the new one being a 165 I'm sure it'll be a little longer.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_0508.jpg
This is what I built. Wired to my hitch plug and pinned to sled.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rule for Alberta: Overhanging load16(1) During nighttime, a load that overhangs the rear of thevehicle carrying it by 1.5 metres or more must have a lit red lampon the back of the load.(2) During daytime, a load that overhangs the rear of the vehiclecarrying it by 1.5 metres or more must have a red or orange flagthat is not less than 300 millimetres square on the back of the load.

BC might be as short as .61 of a meter (Two feet).

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Download-File

Sorry for the bad picture, but I have a cross bar that extends out to the end of the tracks on my deck. Wired in with the deck lighting. I bought two 4 pin round connector kits like these

And then put both female adapters on the deck/cross bar. Then both male ends on a jumper cable between the deck and crossbar. That way I can take the jumper cable off and throw it behind the seat and not have to worry about it getting damaged with the crossbar.

Found a picture of a similar set up.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rule for Alberta: Overhanging load16(1) During nighttime, a load that overhangs the rear of thevehicle carrying it by 1.5 metres or more must have a lit red lampon the back of the load.(2) During daytime, a load that overhangs the rear of the vehiclecarrying it by 1.5 metres or more must have a red or orange flagthat is not less than 300 millimetres square on the back of the load.

BC might be as short as .61 of a meter (Two feet).

Can a light be run all the time or does it have to be a flag during the day?

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One time when I rented a 163 summit and had to haul it in a Honda Ridgeline I bought a 5" x 4 " AA powered light just for this purpose, you can set to be on or flashing, and it fits nicely between the lugs so one bungee cord holds it there. Like 20 bucks or there about.

taz3038

Reaction score
One time when I rented a 163 summit and had to haul it in a Honda Ridgeline I bought a 5" x 4 " AA powered light just for this purpose, you can set to be on or flashing, and it fits nicely between the lugs so one bungee cord holds it there. Like 20 bucks or there about.

where did you buy that?

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what I've been running for about 8 years now, works great if you have the heavy duty bumper on the back, I built a plug in on my sled deck to patch it into. Kind of hard to see the led light in the pic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ran 2 plugs off sled deck lights that sit under deck in centre near back of deck. have 2 coily cords with a small led light from princess auto,plug light in and on light have a hook bolted to it that goes over sled bumper and just hangs off bumper. also have a flag on a rubber that loops over sled bumper and that way im covered for day or night.i was told need a flag on sled during day even if truck is parked with that much overhang.dont know if that is true or not. have never had issue this way.measurement for overhang is from truck tailights not deck lights

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can a light be run all the time or does it have to be a flag during the day?

You know my first reaction was this was a silly question but I did come around quick once I engaged my brain. The issue is purely one of visibility so if the light was intense enough during daylight hours, you would probably not have any grief from the law. Having said that, flags are cheap, easy to bungy on to the back of the sled and why not remove the temptation for a traffic stop?

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In BC it is 1.2 m or 4 ft for overhang. At night measure from tail light. Daytime flag is required. Do not set any lamp to flash.

Mermaid are you a CVSE? Just wondering...

My 163 Doo in the back of my pickup is about an inch over 1.2m from tail lights. I dont worry about it.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My deck extension has 3 solid lights mounted in it. I was told it 4ft past those lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get my info from our transportation compliance division that deals with DOT. The distances are from tail lights and not clearance lights.

Top Bottom