Led headlight bulbs

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DRL are working.
I can't tell if I am actually on high beam or low beam.
Thinking low beam cause there is a good cutoff.
Maybe I didn't get the right bulb, are there two models of Morimoto two stroke? h13?

I just did some reading on TRS, and it stated the H13 are a hi/low LED light.

However it does not state whether or not additional LED's come on for high beams or if the output is increased on the LED's that are on.

I have seen both versions, but do not have any hands on experience with the 2 stroke.

Might be worth a quick email to the fellas at TRS, they are good to deal with

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just did some reading on TRS, and it stated the H13 are a hi/low LED light.

However it does not state whether or not additional LED's come on for high beams or if the output is increased on the LED's that are on.

I have seen both versions, but do not have any hands on experience with the 2 stroke.
Call in the am and find out I guess. Grrr

brokenbones4

Reaction score
GTR LED lights are great quality. I had H13 bulbs in my 2012 Dodge and they where very bright and had good range down the road. I sold the truck but still have the lights if anyone is interested in them. I now have a 2015 Chevy with projector low beams. I tried GTR LED bulbs in the projector lense but the light pattern is no good because the led chips are only on two sides. So I use hid's in the projectors, and GTR LEDs for my high beams.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GTR LED lights are great quality. I had H13 bulbs in my 2012 Dodge and they where very bright and had good range down the road. I sold the truck but still have the lights if anyone is interested in them. I now have a 2015 Chevy with projector low beams. I tried GTR LED bulbs in the projector lense but the light pattern is no good because the led chips are only on two sides. So I use hid's in the projectors, and GTR LEDs for my high beams.

Try these out on your Chevy, nothing will touch them for light output.

http://www.fastheadlights.com/product-p/d2s50_chevy_retrofit-kit_hylux.htm

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question for all of you that have experimented here. I have a 2010 GM and I changed my lows to HID. Of course they are great until it starts snowing. Then you can’t see crap. Getting tired of that so was going to swap back to OEM low and HID high. What are the LED like in that situation? It may be that my HID are just set a little high. Any thoughts?

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question for all of you that have experimented here. I have a 2010 GM and I changed my lows to HID. Of course they are great until it starts snowing. Then you can’t see crap. Getting tired of that so was going to swap back to OEM low and HID high. What are the LED like in that situation? It may be that my HID are just set a little high. Any thoughts?

Problem with doing HID's in the high beam is they dont like being turned off and on a bunch, plus there is the warm up time for the HID.

LED has the advantage there as they are instant on, but i have found LED's are worse in the snow. The light reflects off the snow flakes differently than halogen or HID in my experince.

A projection lense is basically the only way to control all the light that HID's put out, LED's also benefit from a projection lense, but the OEM manufacturers are making reflector specifically for LED's now that are working well.

What the LED "kits" have been trying to do over the past few years is mimic the way light comes out of a halogen bulb in order to control the light patterns better when installing in older halogen designed headlights. It is a different light though and reflects differently... reflective signs and snow are the most noticeable..

I have a few friends with fords that have the OEM LED head lights and they all love them until one has to drive through heavy snow or blowing snow, and they all agree they suck for that aspect.

Here is a good video showing the differences between halogen/LED/HID

https://youtu.be/0KbZBgrEk_w

Last edited:

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem with doing HID's in the high beam is they dont like being turned off and on a bunch, plus there is the warm up time for the HID.

LED has the advantage there as they are instant on, but i have found LED's are worse in the snow. The light reflects off the snow flakes differently than halogen or HID in my experince.

A projection lense is basically the only way to control all the light that HID's put out, LED's also benefit from a projection lense, but the OEM manufacturers are making reflector specifically for LED's now that are working well.

What the LED "kits" have been trying to do over the past few years is mimic the way light comes out of a halogen bulb in order to control the light patterns better when installing in older halogen designed headlights. It is a different light though and reflects differently... reflective signs and snow are the most noticeable..

I have a few friends with fords that have the OEM LED head lights and they all love them until one has to drive through heavy snow or blowing snow, and they all agree they suck for that aspect.

Here is a good video showing the differences between halogen/LED/HID

https://youtu.be/0KbZBgrEk_w

If you put in low beam they are off and on lots too Daytime running lights and any time you go to park they go off in daytime

I have xenon depot hids in low beam on 15’ chev 2500. Recently installed replacement bulbs as the one was white still but soon turned yellow as warmed up
Went with bulbs from essk customs. Can’t remember brand but much brighter than the xenon ones. Now to replace the poor ballast on one side that I always have to fiddle with plug to get it to turn on

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recent info on some good LED bulbs. Bought a new truck and came with projectors with halogens and previous truck had factory HID projectors and it's like this new truck has candles for headlights.
Would consider HID but need to function as DRL also at lower power

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recent info on some good LED bulbs. Bought a new truck and came with projectors with halogens and previous truck had factory HID projectors and it's like this new truck has candles for headlights.
Would consider HID but need to function as DRL also at lower power

you didn't list what the truck was.....maybe check out these guys...good quality, if they list your truck, its likely an easy plug N play install

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry truck is a new Colorado ZR2

I'll take a look on their site thanks

I've been looking at these for a while now, but held off while we were having all our engine issues. The Morimoto kits are the highest recommended ones for these trucks. You want the retroquik projector assembly, the factory projectors don't take to LED or HID bulbs very well. They also have a much better cutoff to prevent glare into the eyes of oncoming traffic. I'd also run HID's, I've never had a set of led's that I have liked.

Your truck isn't a diesel is it?

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at these for a while now, but held off while we were having all our engine issues. The Morimoto kits are the highest recommended ones for these trucks. You want the retroquik projector assembly, the factory projectors don't take to LED or HID bulbs very well. They also have a much better cutoff to prevent glare into the eyes of oncoming traffic. I'd also run HID's, I've never had a set of led's that I have liked.

Your truck isn't a diesel is it?

I have also liked HIDs more in the past but I have run into the issue of the truck using 6V to the low beam bulbs during the day for the DRL so I was hoping I could leave that intact. The only pre manufactured harness I have come across so far to relocate the DRL to the signal lights is $380 cdn which isnt enticing at all for me.

Another option I have started to consider is a whole new aftermarket housing with decent projectors and internal wiring to relocate the DRLs

Apart from the halogen lighting through out the truck I like everything else about it. Only have put 500km on it or so now. I went with the V6 gas. Would have considered the minimax if there was one in stock here but with all this covid garbage wasnt interested in ordering a truck so had a few requirements and this one checked them off

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have also liked HIDs more in the past but I have run into the issue of the truck using 6V to the low beam bulbs during the day for the DRL so I was hoping I could leave that intact. The only pre manufactured harness I have come across so far to relocate the DRL to the signal lights is $380 cdn which isnt enticing at all for me.

Another option I have started to consider is a whole new aftermarket housing with decent projectors and internal wiring to relocate the DRLs

Apart from the halogen lighting through out the truck I like everything else about it. Only have put 500km on it or so now. I went with the V6 gas. Would have considered the minimax if there was one in stock here but with all this covid garbage wasnt interested in ordering a truck so had a few requirements and this one checked them off
Assuming you have a Ram, get AlphaOBD. If you're a little tech savvy you can program the DRLs to either be off, or use your fog lights. There are many other things you can control with AlphaOBD.

Ignore me... I see you have a Colorado. Sounded a lot like the same setup the Rams have, but my solution only works on Fiats.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Those projectors on retrofit source replace the factory one, three screws and they come right out and you put new ones in the factory housing, and then use the bulb of your choice.

Be thankful you got the V6, I've got a lemon thread on here about our minimax. Nice engines, but not built for the Canadian climate.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Assuming you have a Ram, get AlphaOBD. If you're a little tech savvy you can program the DRLs to either be off, or use your fog lights. There are many other things you can control with AlphaOBD.

Ignore me... I see you have a Colorado. Sounded a lot like the same setup the Rams have, but my solution only works on Fiats.

Yeah ford also has a program called FORSCAN which let's you adjust things like that with a laptop but I have not seen.one for GM.

Top Bottom