Lay Offs

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re read??? I never once said they turn down a bid !

Every Ritchie's I've gone to I've seen this happen, granted it never does on the big stuff. But if you hang out in the tool and smaller stuff I've seen it tons. And yes I've bought and sold lots at Ritchie's too!

You obviously havnt been to a sale in a long time, all small lots are now done on a silent timed bid process. There is no way to fudge the results, all done online and timed. There is no more hanging out and watching the small items unless you have a computer. It has been this way for 3 plus years now.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a side note Richie's next sale in Edmonton isn't accepting anymore items.

5-day, over 10,000 items. A lot of companies hurting out there :(

And R. Bros are making 10-15% on every single item they sell...even double on smaller items because they charge they seller AND the buyer......your pain is their gain

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
They are already saying the next CAT Auction will be a full list too. June 22......

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious to see what prices will be like. Going to get fresh pre-approval anyway. Could be an expensive day if prices are good :d

Construction doesn't seem to be slowing down here. Jam packed with work. People doesn't seem to be worried about spending money on their homes.

Last edited:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You obviously havnt been to a sale in a long time, all small lots are now done on a silent timed bid process. There is no way to fudge the results, all done online and timed. There is no more hanging out and watching the small items unless you have a computer. It has been this way for 3 plus years now.

Well ya! It's a monkey and a peanut thing! You get electrocuted 10-15 x you don't like peanuts anymore!

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is plenty of work in the canmore/ banff area for anyone interested. From outside labor to restaurants, etc. Trades are crazy busy here (plumbing, electrical). The difficulty is finding somewhere to live! Many shops in town are running reduced hours due to staff shortages.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of work in the Okanagan as well. Had trouble getting trades to come in to build my shop from electricians to gutter installers. Excavator company had to postpone work several times. Finally got her built for a project that was going to be 6 to 8 weeks it took almost 20 weeks.

Stockorwalk

Reaction score
lots of work in the Okanagan as well. Had trouble getting trades to come in to build my shop from electricians to gutter installers. Excavator company had to postpone work several times. Finally got her built for a project that was going to be 6 to 8 weeks it took almost 20 weeks.
What are the rates for tradesmen down there like?

Stockorwalk

Reaction score
There is plenty of work in the canmore/ banff area for anyone interested. From outside labor to restaurants, etc. Trades are crazy busy here (plumbing, electrical). The difficulty is finding somewhere to live! Many shops in town are running reduced hours due to staff shortages.
Same question, and have heard it's hella expensive to get a place down there?

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the rates are. Industry standard. Depends on the trade, the experience and the person i would imagine. They won't be the over inflated rates that some are used to.
And yes it is expensive to buy or rent here. The real estate market here is very hot. With the dollar and the amount of people retiring here some of the prices are currently ridiculous. Alot of people have taken this down turn as their opportunity to retire.
I don't think this "recession" we are in has hurt as many people as you would think...yet...
The ski Hills have had their best years ever, local businesses are doing great, sled stagging areas have been busier than ever from golden to revy.
That being said i have several friends out of work but most are geologist types and oilfield sales. Seems like most people might have actually stored some money when making the big bucks.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure as I contracted my shop build out but the electrician was telling me that he moved back to Vernon (where he is originally from) from Edmonton last year where he did his apprenticeship at NAIT then decided to stay in Edmonton for a few years. After moving back he makes 12% more than in AB and he is home every night.

What are the rates for tradesmen down there like?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the rates are. Industry standard. Depends on the trade, the experience and the person i would imagine. They won't be the over inflated rates that some are used to.
And yes it is expensive to buy or rent here. The real estate market here is very hot. With the dollar and the amount of people retiring here some of the prices are currently ridiculous. Alot of people have taken this down turn as their opportunity to retire.
I don't think this "recession" we are in has hurt as many people as you would think...yet...
The ski Hills have had their best years ever, local businesses are doing great, sled stagging areas have been busier than ever from golden to revy.
That being said i have several friends out of work but most are geologist types and oilfield sales. Seems like most people might have actually stored some money when making the big bucks.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

Nah, just the BC'ers taking up the slack.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure as I contracted my shop build out but the electrician was telling me that he moved back to Vernon (where he is originally from) from Edmonton last year where he did his apprenticeship at NAIT then decided to stay in Edmonton for a few years. After moving back he makes 12% more than in AB and he is home every night.

shhhhhhhh ............................ dont tell them were doing ok here in BC, there all gonna wanna come out and screw things up. Let then think were a bunch of granola crunching, tree hugging, dope smoking hippies.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our shop was doing okay up until now but we went from about 75 people this time last year and are down to 9 as of today(11 gone between yesterday and today). Our Nisku branches have gotten rid of just as many if not more than we have with no signs of any hope in sight. Hopefully this will be the last round for a bit as we have no more workers but for some strange reason there is still close to 30 accountants in our head office making twice the money any actual worker makes.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shhhhhhhh ............................ dont tell them were doing ok here in BC, there all gonna wanna come out and screw things up. Let then think were a bunch of granola crunching, tree hugging, dope smoking hippies.
Which begs the question of: If it is so good in BC, why did so many move out to Alberta ? If they are making way more in BC?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I wish you well ... Some one has to take over paying most of the bills for the rest of the provinces that get handouts .
might as well be you guys ! Since a lot of you out there voted in JT , you will have lots of extra $$ to come up with , the way he is handing out cash....
don't mind unskilled guys from BC, some one has to transport the pot ....

i would not worry about Alberta , we have a much better work ethic than the greenies in BC , we will be alright .

Last edited:
Top Bottom