Ktty Cat Build

littlehoe

Reaction score
Well here is what I am starting with... its a 1977 Kitty Cat, Build date on the tunnel says 11/76. As you can see it is in rough shape, even worse than I thought once I started looking at it more...lol..

009-9.jpg

010-7.jpg

012-6.jpg

011-6.jpg

I did dissassembly today, I am building the sled for my daughter so its gonna be done right, I am taking it all apart and gonna clean it all up good and make it look like an almost new sled when it is done... Maybe she could run it in some vintage stuff...lol... As you can see in the last picture I found out it needs all new bogies... expensive little buggers too...

023-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

027.jpg

Now it will be off to the carwash with all these parts to get everything cleaned up...

You guys think I would be okay pressure washing the engine too? or should I bring it in the house and do it in the sink?

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have fun with the build, Post pictures, no such thing as to many. If you find anywhere close for parts could you let us know. The hood looks ruff. Was it running when you bought it?

littlehoe

Reaction score
Well I actually bought this sled about 4-5 years ago for my step son. It runs good but he only used it a handful of times since we got it...

Now my daughter just turned 3 and I figured that since I got back into sledding last year it would be good to get her out learning on something. I had one as a little guy and I think it was great. I got the boy a bravo 250 to use this year so he can learn a little better too...

So far I have ordered some parts from alpha-sports and just today i bit the bullet and ordered the bogies from the cat dealer... the alpha-sports.com site has online parts breakdowns which is great for getting the part numbers you need...

I bought a new belly pan, hood, console so far and have the chain cover and bogies ordered up... Once its all cleaned up it will be time for reassembly...

Oh and if you didn't see I also have a deep snow kit on it, makes the skis wider as well as the rest of the sled sit up higher...

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol , i have 1 or 2 of these and would like nothing more than to completely rebuild them. For this year i just want them to run. There are a couple of aftermaket parts for these. The 120's have a bunch.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend bought one that was in worse shape than yours. The engine was broken from water getting into it and freezing. So he found a 2 stroke engine on Ebay that looked like it might fit. It actually bolted right up. It even came with a cool little chrome pipe with a stinger! So his son fired it up in the back alley but the engine ran backwards to the stock engine so it went in reverse! He found a gear drive from the people that made the engine and bolted it up to the little Cat. It worked great...the machine does almost 20 mph now with the new performance engine. I am pretty sure that the new engine and gear drive were made in China but it seemed to be pretty high quaility...as good or better than stock.

Kids love these toys and they last fairly well if you take care of them! Good luck with your buildup!

littlehoe

Reaction score
Bogies arrived so got some progress done... I was going to put a new track on her but its not in the budget right now... the unexpected costs of those bogies ate up most of the track money :mad: but the track can be a next year or later in the season purchase... definitely not hard to change out...

004-12.jpg

005-14.jpg

After a little cleaning up...
006-12.jpg

008-15.jpg

009-10.jpg

010-8.jpg

011-7.jpg

littlehoe

Reaction score
well I skipped a couple steps along the way but here is how she sits right now...

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

I have an ignition switch coming from Royal, and a windshield from ebay on their way and that will be it for this year...

I did find though that this machine has an aftermarket clutch and with the aftermarket clutch the chain doesn't line up perfect and the clutch/chain cover doesn't fit perfect so I had to space it out a bit at the clutch end.. No big deal, she is back together and will be ready for xmas...

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is going to be a real happy child on Christmas day! Good to see you have it back ready for the snow! We will of course want to see pics of the happy child riding it soon! lol

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow looks great! you put in a lot of time and money i can tell! i have a 77 as well that needs a little hear and there too. not as much as yours though by the looks of it. i priced out a few things to fix up mine. seat, brake cable, and the chain guard. seat was 320 bucks! and the cable was 40 ish. so i just washed it up good, and took the carb apart and cleaned it up good. new plug and it fired on the first pull. i need to sand and paint the hood and get some new stickers to make it look like it is suposed to back in the day.

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
picture from last summer. before all the work overs. will post some of the finished project when done.

Attachments

• IMG_3644.jpg
    IMG_3644.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 367

littlehoe

Reaction score
Well i got the windshield on it finally and also had my buddy with a plasma table cut out the front plate with my daughters name in it. Just personalizes it a bit for her... She just loved it, now all she wants to do is go snowmobiling... A proud father I am.....:)

IMG_0400.jpg

A few lessons before we go...
IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

And away she goes....
IMG_0411.jpg

I forgot how fast that thing was....
IMG_0438.jpg

And of course she had to take daddy for a ride...
IMG_0415.jpg

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
That is awesome...Nothing better than getting the kids involved. Be ready for the next steps now...

When she grows up shes gonna want to come with you everywhere so be prepared to buy more sleds lol.

Great Job!

Saskiqr

Reaction score
Hey i built a custom 1980 kitty for my son a couple years ago, and now am starting a better one out of a 95. Looks good what you did, i'll try to upload the pics of mine. They are a blast and some days riding with the little guys is more fun then with the big boys!!

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good on you guys for doing this for your kids. My kids are grown now but I never could do that for them. Am jealous.

Saskiqr

Reaction score
here is my boy's kitty cat its a 1980, the first pics are what i started with, just bought a 95 gonna do a bit more to, motor work this time and try make it match my currrent sled

Attachments

• GetAttachment2.jpg
    GetAttachment2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 287
  • GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 289
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 279
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 269

Saskiqr

Reaction score
the 95 i just picked up and the 1980 after a couple seasons of use

Attachments

• 152.jpg
    152.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 151.jpg
    151.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 265
  • 150.jpg
    150.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 287
  • 149.jpg
    149.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 287
  • 153.jpg
    153.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 270

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best part about sledding out with the family. I had a 01 120 and now I'm asking for the 800 lol well I got it that was a long time ago lol

Top Bottom