KTM's?????

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best dirt performance DOT tire I found was Dunlop D606. Better than the Metzler knobbliest that came with it

wolverine68

Reaction score
Hey, That mountain pic looked like Mountain Park.

I've had a few older 2 stroke 250/300 EXC's and they were excellent. High quality, tough with great power. I've had friends with various models, a 380 EXC and a 500 EXC. Both guys loved them but the 500 was a vibrator. 380 was actually not bad. Guys I hung around with drooled over the 300 since it first came out. I still have all the old pamphlets and Ktm booklets from earlier days when they got their act together in 1990 with the redesign, then almost going bankrupt, then coming back in force in the early 90's. (94 was a great year bike with WP susp. which KTM own). All the plastic colour changes over the years(white, blue, yellowee, then going no link in 98 I believe and sticking with orange. I briefly had a 87 250 motocross with upside down forks but it wasn't very good. I have tons of pics of the old stuff it's still hardcopies tho, plus I have dirtbike mags going back to the mid 70's so I can reminisce about the good ole days. Never really a bad year for the 250/300 off road bikes, just nobody knows about them here. They only know about the recent KTM's.

Good eye, it was taken on top of Cadomin Mtn. have no problem with the older bikes. Not to hi-jack this KTM thread but I had an RMX250 for about 16 years and loved it.

Attachments

• 93 RMX250 003 (443x620).jpg
    93 RMX250 003 (443x620).jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 148

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an rmx 250 for few years too. Awesome bike.

Got the 530 ready to ride now. Just have to insure and register it tomorrow and wait for the warm weather to come back. I am hoping the knobbies that came on it wear fast. Can't see them being any good in anything but gravel lol. Pretty the sm rims and tires are going up for sale. If I am going to ride street only I will ride my fjr1300

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
One guy I used to race on a team with in an endurance 24 hr relay had a RMX. He did pretty good on it back then.
The 530 is a tank and basically a straight line machine kind of like an Apex trying to cut, slice and carve through the trees in the mountains, but would be amazing ON the road to rip with, the 530 not the Apex. The 250 is amazing off road, IMO. Lol.

Last edited:

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
Good eye, it was taken on top of Cadomin Mtn. have no problem with the older bikes. Not to hi-jack this KTM thread but I had an RMX250 for about 16 years and loved it.
OOooh, steering damper, 752 rear or (T)Crackmaster take off? Exhaust and silencer, front fender extender, possibly aftermarket bars, bigger lighted rear fender(UFO or Acerbis maybe?), Lol, I still have 2 sets of those bark busters and covers!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One guy I used to race on a team with in an endurance 24 hr relay had a RMX. He did pretty good on it back then.
The 530 is a tank and basically a straight line machine kind of like an Apex trying to cut, slice and carve through the trees in the mountains, but would be amazing ON the road to rip with, the 530 not the Apex. The 250 is amazing off road, IMO. Lol.
I really wish I could afford to keep both bikes I would.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the 250 with money I had and expected to sell another bike to pay for it and some bills. The day after I bought the 250 a guy got in touch and wanted to trade my street bike for the 530. Told him no at first as I bought the 250, need cash instead but thought about it and the 530 should be a good bike for me being dual propose and great off road. Really I could keep both bikes but it is hard to justify and would rather have those bills paid. But damn it is cool having both bikes now.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apparently you can not convert a race bike over such as an SX or YZ. It has to already be an enduro bike such as the exc

back in 2007 i bought a honda 450x new... i made a deal with the dealer... if they marked "not street legal" on the NVIS number i wouldn't buy the bike... they second i rolled the bike out... i got it plated and insured (no inspections as it was new) i never street drove it... but the guy who bought it off me was sure happy i took the time as he made it a super motto bike... but i understand that loop whole is gone now as the Gov't hates super motto's for some reason... the fun police again

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
530's got a lot of jam. Good for the open road with intermittent periods of high speed off road. I know it would wear me out in the bush. I think you'd be happy with the 250 for the bush. If I had a 530 I'd turn it into a snowbike.

yes and i hear the new 500 isn't the same great engine as the 530 was... snowbike is good option for dirt stuff to big.... 2 stroke i don't like the big hit powerbands but i understand the ktm's are different... i hate getting valve work done as i gotta pay someone big bucks... i will never own a 4 stroke dirtbike again for that reason... so id say flip the 530 make some money get the two stroke you want... as far as valves go i think the 530 had a good reputation of lasting a while

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
meatbag... love where you mounted your plate on the ktm... now why didn't i think of that!
I was going to do the same on the 250 too. I have seen two other good places. One was in the front spokes. Not sure how it would hold up but looked ok. The other was on a guys chest protector. Not sure how legal but it worked.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes and i hear the new 500 isn't the same great engine as the 530 was... snowbike is good option for dirt stuff to big.... 2 stroke i don't like the big hit powerbands but i understand the ktm's are different... i hate getting valve work done as i gotta pay someone big bucks... i will never own a 4 stroke dirtbike again for that reason... so id say flip the 530 make some money get the two stroke you want... as far as valves go i think the 530 had a good reputation of lasting a while
I hope so. I mounted the dirt tires on it and kept the same sprocket as the SM wheel had on it. So 13t in the front and 51t in the rear. I get the feeling this thing is going to cat walk everywhere.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to do the same on the 250 too. I have seen two other good places. One was in the front spokes. Not sure how it would hold up but looked ok. The other was on a guys chest protector. Not sure how legal but it worked.

i seen a back pack with a clear housing for the plate the was good too... if the SRD want's to get picky im sure it's not that legal... but i think if they did get too picky guys on bikes will just hit the gas and leave em in the dust...i mean seriously if i carry my plate and papers who cares... personally on my quad my plate is in the tool box... no one has ever cared cause i ride where im suppose to and stay off private land

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been stopped a few times. The main thing is having all your paperwork. I got caught last year or the year before. Don't remember which. I had an expired reg in my quad but I knew it was current. The wife's quad had a new one in it but was back at camp 3 minutes away. He let me ride back and grab it instead of giving me a ticket. I thought that was pretty nice of him.

wolverine68

Reaction score
OOooh, steering damper, 752 rear or (T)Crackmaster take off? Exhaust and silencer, front fender extender, possibly aftermarket bars, bigger lighted rear fender(UFO or Acerbis maybe?), Lol, I still have 2 sets of those bark busters and covers!

I have the same guards on my DR350. Street legal bikes are great as well. here's a couple of pics from our Sept/2013 trip to Colorado and Moab.

Attachments

• Imogene DR (620x465).jpg
    Imogene DR (620x465).jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Moab DR (620x465).jpg
    Moab DR (620x465).jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 125

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is there any year of EXCs a guys should lean towards or stay away from?

Top Bottom