KTM's?????

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
08/09 had some issue with the oil from the engine going into the trans from what I have read. I think anything from 05 to current is ok. The guys in maui were saying if you get a new one change the chain tensioner out right away as they had all of theirs fail and had to wait awhile for parts. The 200/250 and 300 xcw have starter issues. I am updating mine before I sell it. I have found there is so much info out there on them. You can spend months on end reading it all.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
The spoke idea was good but a pain and makes noises, looks kinds weird and just didn't sit well for me, the backpack/chest protector thing I did for years until I was threatened with a ticket. The fork placing works good, comes off quick and, well, I'm just ok with. No one hassles me about it.
I was going to do the same on the 250 too. I have seen two other good places. One was in the front spokes. Not sure how it would hold up but looked ok. The other was on a guys chest protector. Not sure how legal but it worked.

Last edited:

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never had a bad KTM 2 stroke motor after 91-present. All tough and bulletproof. I like the 300 a smidge better than the 250, just a smidge cause it has a bit more chug down low. Thats it. 250 I feel is revvier(is that a word?) and might vibrate a hair less, but I'm being REALLY picky here. Love em both. I've ridden some of the 4 strokes over the years but for the dirt it's 2 stroke, unless all I'm going to ride is dunes then that 450 is looking sweet.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what I thought too! Heres more the same day. STEEP learning curve for him. Lol!:
haha that's awesome... buddy in the back ground laying his bike down... it's almost like he did it cause your bike was so great! Cool pic!

Attachments

• DSCF2849.jpg
    DSCF2849.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCF2869.jpg
    DSCF2869.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 175

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never had a bad KTM 2 stroke motor after 91-present. All tough and bulletproof. I like the 300 a smidge better than the 250, just a smidge cause it has a bit more chug down low. Thats it. 250 I feel is revvier(is that a word?) and might vibrate a hair less, but I'm being REALLY picky here. Love em both. I've ridden some of the 4 strokes over the years but for the dirt it's 2 stroke, unless all I'm going to ride is dunes then that 450 is looking sweet.

any idea if the 250 2 stroke freeride will come to canada... that's the bike i want to try out

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told by a Blackfoot salesman "not available in Canada"

There was one on kijiji last summer for $14,000 here in Calgary.

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was one on kijiji last summer for $14,000 here in Calgary.

FAK that's a lot of coin... was the the 350 4t or the 250 smoker???? i think ill work on making a beta trIals bike my trAil bike

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FAK that's a lot of coin... was the the 350 4t or the 250 smoker???? i think ill work on making a beta trIals bike my trAil bike

I think if I remember it was the 350.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just watched a 15 minute video last night. Guy spends most of it swearing his ass off at bid new 250 freeride because the e start doesn't work. I didn't know until then that the freeride doesn't have a kick start. And it sounds like it is the same ****ty starter set up all the two stroke have. He got it going a few times by bump starting it but after seeing that and the frame issues I would never buy one.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
08/09 had some issue with the oil from the engine going into the trans from what I have read. I think anything from 05 to current is ok. The guys in maui were saying if you get a new one change the chain tensioner out right away as they had all of theirs fail and had to wait awhile for parts. The 200/250 and 300 xcw have starter issues. I am updating mine before I sell it. I have found there is so much info out there on them. You can spend months on end reading it all.

So is it a problem that if its there it happens right away? Or if it hasnt done it...is it likely that it wont?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems that guy was on a new bike. Not sure though. I'll see if I can find that video. I have given up on the starter on my 250. Have a brand new one in there and now the battery that was new is screwed. Yet my 530 works great and has more draw on it then the 250. Now sure why Ktm is having this issue but is a common one

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha! Just give up! The starter just can't spin it fast enough when it's cold. 1-2 kicks and always lights. Then the starter is fine all day. Diehard!! Admit defeat!
Seems that guy was on a new bike. Not sure though. I'll see if I can find that video. I have given up on the starter on my 250. Have a brand new one in there and now the battery that was new is screwed. Yet my 530 works great and has more draw on it then the 250. Now sure why Ktm is having this issue but is a common one

Top Bottom