KTM 2 strokes can they be plated?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I looked into plating my old 93WR250, back in 93. I was told it needed.... 1 mirror, brake light needs to work off of front and rear, and a metal tank. The tank part has probably changed over the years, but I can't see why not?

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked into plating my old 93WR250, back in 93. I was told it needed.... 1 mirror, brake light needs to work off of front and rear, and a metal tank. The tank part has probably changed over the years, but I can't see why not?

i snuck in and plated a Honda450x because they didn't tic off the "off road only" on the NVIS... took it insurance place and slapped a plate on asap... they kept saying funny honda45ox isn't in our drop down menu... i didn't abuse it but after it was plated it was way cheaper to insure... never saw a paved road

but i really want to go back to a 2smoker and just need plates in BC to get between riding and fishing areas...

may have to get a drz400 s

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as I know it is tough to do now. You need to get lucky with the person behind the counter. There are bikes that have been done in the past but usually due to a screwup. There is a reason I jumped on my 530 when I did. Exact same bike as the xcw but street legal.

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
D.O.T told me that a motorized vehical brought into Canada as a off road vehical can not be used on highway.Doesnt matter what you do for lites or any thing else it still cant be used on the highway.SO apperantly offroad means off road.But when I talked to the cops and asked if I get caught on the highway with plates insurance and all nessasary lights whats the ticket for,he could,nt really give me a answer but basicly if your not doing any thing really wrong they just check insurance a registration and send you on your way.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the registration it will say off highway vehicle or motorcycle. That is one thing the police will check. If you are on the highway with an off highway vehicle you can be charged and have your bike towed.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
On the registration it will say off highway vehicle or motorcycle. That is one thing the police will check. If you are on the highway with an off highway vehicle you can be charged and have your bike towed.
That's true, so you would need to take your dirt bike to someone who can change it from off highway, to street legal or dual purpose.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even that is sketchy now as you can have all that done but I have heard they can go by vin. The exc and xcw are the same bike except for the lights, horn, etc and the vin separates the two paperwork wise.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I forgot about the horn...... Like I said, I could have done it in 93 but I didn't and the laws change every year. I would legalise the Banshee in a heart beat if I could.....

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as I know it is tough to do now. You need to get lucky with the person behind the counter. There are bikes that have been done in the past but usually due to a screwup. There is a reason I jumped on my 530 when I did. Exact same bike as the xcw but street legal.

the 530 is suppose to be better then the 500 im hearing... to be honest im not a technical guy... im not paying for valve checks ect ect anymore... how's your 530... not to start a war my 450x cost me some money dumped it when a stealership told me they wanted 3k for a new top end... talking to other on this site i may have jumped shipt too soon... live n learn...

funny you can't when the scorpa little 2 stroke thing which is a trials bike with seat and turn signals you can...

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
D.O.T told me that a motorized vehical brought into Canada as a off road vehical can not be used on highway.Doesnt matter what you do for lites or any thing else it still cant be used on the highway.SO apperantly offroad means off road.But when I talked to the cops and asked if I get caught on the highway with plates insurance and all nessasary lights whats the ticket for,he could,nt really give me a answer but basicly if your not doing any thing really wrong they just check insurance a registration and send you on your way.

yes i have a few cop buddies they say the same thing... but they are not DOT... cops have a wider spectrum and don't really care so long as its not annoying, dangerous and illegal... and to tell you the truth all my cop buddies wouldn't even know where to find the VIN on my bike... but it's still a hell of gamble... and i guess trickery wont work if you want insurance... get into an accident pull insurance and they see you bike... the insurance companies would probably tell you to go pack sand... any excuse not to pay....

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot about the horn...... Like I said, I could have done it in 93 but I didn't and the laws change every year. I would legalise the Banshee in a heart beat if I could.....

lol.. .thats funny... i was in italy 3 years ago... those things are legal to be plated! Awesome... to bad there's no place to ride one lol... we are still better off...

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like the 530 so far. I just put on a monster tank and went for a burn. Decided to keep going straight instead of turning on my little road-off road test. Geared down and hit the gas, front end came up easily with a full tank (6.3 gallons). Changed out the headlight to a baja designs too so night riding shouldn't be an issue now lol. I can do 140kms easy with it and still ride red waters whooped out sections of sand.
10325785_10152078039681806_5634045182018172130_n.jpg

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The lady at registries changed my 250xc from ohv to regular onroad so I might dual sport mine but well see I didnt care for riding on the highway or in town with my 450 exc.
Whats gets me is how can joe blow build a chopper and legalize it but it seems so hard to convert a dirt bike.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like the 530 so far. I just put on a monster tank and went for a burn. Decided to keep going straight instead of turning on my little road-off road test. Geared down and hit the gas, front end came up easily with a full tank (6.3 gallons). Changed out the headlight to a baja designs too so night riding shouldn't be an issue now lol. I can do 140kms easy with it and still ride red waters whooped out sections of sand.
View attachment 170796
I have the same tank on my 08 450 exc gives you over 200km range
dont keep fuel in it when not ridding or it will turn brown within a couple years

I had a 2000 Honda cr250 that was registered as a motorcycle due to a registries error

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The lady at registries changed my 250xc from ohv to regular onroad so I might dual sport mine but well see I didnt care for riding on the highway or in town with my 450 exc.
Whats gets me is how can joe blow build a chopper and legalize it but it seems so hard to convert a dirt bike.

where is this lady maybe we'll all go line up for her... lol

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't then sell it to someone that will. That **** is like gold.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back to the original question, yes thy can be.

KTM imports their bikes, or at least in recent years with out a designation and when you register it you can then classify it.

I have known a few people that when they register them the office asks if it is on road or off road. You obviously need a bike license to register it on road. When I was asked on my last bike I didn't have a bike license so I had to select off-road. Then it's basically off-road forever.

You can then determine what items like mirrors, blinkers and dot tires you want to run to be legal.

I work with a guy who just did his new 300 XC. He may never use it on road but the option is there.

I have heard people say if he gets stopped now off road with a road plate he will have issues but it's just like off-roading your road truck. As long as you are where you are supposed to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom