Knocking sound after ring replacment...

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
uhhhhg....just after I got my hood and all that other stuff all figured out now I have this. This is kinda long but I didn't want to leave anything out.

I got a knocking sound in the top end now after my ring replacement. Not sure what to make of it.

2003 Summit 600HO. Was hard going into reverse (got a lot worse over the last four rides, took almost 7-8 tries just after warm up some times) and compression was down to about 100, so I put new OE rings in (new ring part). Cylinders and pistons looked really good when I took it apart. No excessive play in the wrist pin or rod bearings IMHO. The pistons have a bit of play in the cylinders. I did not measure the cylinders or pistons but they all look so close to new and I can still see the cross hatch in the cylinder walls. No scratches anywhere other than a little on the bottom edge of the piston skirt. No build up on cylinder walls at all. Cleaned jugs and head up with soap and water and scotch bright. Moved exhaust valves, they seam to work fine. Blew everything off. Sopped up the bit of fuel and oil that was in the bottom of the crank case. Oiled everything up. New base gasket. Rings taper side up (little mark up), made sure rings were fitting on the pin right, go into the groove all the way. Torqued cylinder bolts to 29, head bolts to 20. Has more compression on rope pull now for sure. Started no problem. Seams to run fine other then the idle is too low now and blowing smoke cause of the oil.

Sounds fine except at that RPM when you are revving up from idle a bit and the engine stakes in the mounts quite a bit, there is a loud rattle from the top end. Like I left a wrench or something vibrating against the engine. Rattles bad right at that RPM where the engine shakes the most as you rev it up. Put my ear down there, definitely from the top of the engine. Not saying the shaking is abnormal (every sled motor I have seen shakes at that one RPM as you rev it up).

Don't know what to make of the noise. Not sure if I have ever listened to my motor that close to know if it's normal. Any chance the pistons are just slapping in there and this will go away once it's heat soaked? Maybe the exhaust valves rattling? Could I have left something in the water jacket? What the heck could this be?? Should I tear this puppy down again?

Puzzled.
:sadbanana:

PS: Pics are from before clean up.

Attachments

• cylinder.jpg
    cylinder.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 64
  • piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 63

sledd boy

Reaction score
Hi Dan did you have the pistons off at the wristpin or not also did you put the jugs back on the side they came from.
was the base gasket the same thickness it maybe the pistons hiting the head or pinging from the sqush area bing to tight

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't have the pistons off. Same 5 hole gasket. Jugs are from the same side (labeled them PTO and MAG).

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no problem?

Well, I pulled the head off and looked real hard for a lost socket in the water jacket. Found none. Looked for any new scratches, dings etc. Found none. Checked exhaust valve clearance and anything else I could think of. Moved the piston side to side in the cylinders, there is about 0.020" play there (not sure how much is normal, would guess some for sure), and if I jiggle them they make the same kind of sound I was hearing when it was running.

So, I buttoned her back up and started her up again. Still knocking at just the right rev there. Let her warm up while I played with the throttle a bit. The knocking was getting harder and harder to produced as it warmed up. After about a 4 minutes of running I could not make the knocking sound at all. The head was just starting to warm, just a big warmer than body temp.

So I am assuming it was just a bit of piston slap, maybe cause the rings where so nice and smooth and I cleaned it all so good. Maybe this is why OEM pistons don't seaze if you don't warm up, cause the clearance is quite high. Seams once it is just a bit heat soaked it's gone. I'm going to go for a couple of easy runs with it and watch it close for the first few miles but unless anyone else has any ideas maybe there is really nothing wrong.

Oh, and it goes into reverse real nice now. Bang on every time. Hope that lasts.

Thanks All.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I Concure

YUP, SOUND LIKE PISTON SLAP. .020" SIDE TO SIDE SOUND A LITTLE EXCESSIVE. TOO BAD YOU DON'T HAVE A CYLINDER GUAGE AND MEASURE THE ROUNDNESS OF THE CYLINDER.:agree: :agree: :agree:

Top Bottom