Kinder Morgan

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are speaking politician in your post. Which is a back asswards way to look at any topic. The correct approach for an politician is to approach the issue with the attitude "What is the best outcome here for all citizens in my elected area?"

If you want to get something accomplished and you have to sway other people to reach that goal you have to look at motivation. What is motivating Horgan? The good of the people of BC? The good of the people of Alberta? No what motivates Horgan is keeping his job.

As for your statement "What is the best outcome here for all citizens in my elected area?" In Horgans case if he follows your guidelines his thought process should be what is good for the people of BC, not what is good for the people of Alberta. If a pipeline is built the main beneficiary's are Albertains, not BC residents.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to get something accomplished and you have to sway other people to reach that goal you have to look at motivation. What is motivating Horgan? The good of the people of BC? The good of the people of Alberta? No what motivates Horgan is keeping his job.

As for your statement "What is the best outcome here for all citizens in my elected area?" In Horgans case if he follows your guidelines his thought process should be what is good for the people of BC, not what is good for the people of Alberta. If a pipeline is built the main beneficiary's are Albertains, not BC residents.
The main beneficiary's may be Alberta, but BC benefits huge as well. The only thing BC is whining about is the risk of a spill. Yes, possible. But BC still reaps billions in revenue and tax offshoots.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No entirely true. True, The Alberta government coffers will benefit from higher royalties due to increased sales of oil created by the greater pipeline throughput. BC will benefit almost entirely from the construction phase and all the service increases feeding the construction crews, transport, suppliers etc. Once the line is in the ground, it will be BC residents getting the operating jobs on the pipeline, the contracts for road maintenance, snow removal, ROW clearing and maintenance etc, the counties and municipalities along the line will get tax revenues for many decades from the existence of the line (with zero costs to them). The BC government will get income, sales and property tax revenues from the workers, contractors and suppliers that will be employed and contracted to keep the line operating. Many new businesses will be created by this pipeline. These revenues will exist for decades, and hundreds of good paying jobs will be created all throughout central BC from top to bottom, an area of BC that the lower mainland politicians and tree hugging residents couldn’t care less about.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No entirely true. True, The Alberta government coffers will benefit from higher royalties due to increased sales of oil created by the greater pipeline throughput. BC will benefit almost entirely from the construction phase and all the service increases feeding the construction crews, transport, suppliers etc. Once the line is in the ground, it will be BC residents getting the operating jobs on the pipeline, the contracts for road maintenance, snow removal, ROW clearing and maintenance etc, the counties and municipalities along the line will get tax revenues for many decades from the existence of the line (with zero costs to them). The BC government will get income, sales and property tax revenues from the workers, contractors and suppliers that will be employed and contracted to keep the line operating. Many new businesses will be created by this pipeline. These revenues will exist for decades, and hundreds of good paying jobs will be created all throughout central BC from top to bottom, an area of BC that the lower mainland politicians and tree hugging residents couldn’t care less about.

once again this isnt about who will benefit what, if its a good idea or not, my response was to another poster about Horgans motivations and how they may be viewed.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else find it ironic that Nutley wants to buy this pipeline project?

She also wants to invest in upgraders BTW.

If that wasnt going to be dilbit in the pipe, energy East properly would of went through, and the protests on the Kinder Morgan TMPL.
Just like the BC premier said more refinery’s are needed so theres the upgraders.

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
http://www.oilsandsmagazine.com/new...ding-bitumen-in-alberta-no-longer-makes-sense

Here read this too. ^
A pipeline is the only thing that can save the oil industry right now.

It's not the Alberta Government's responsibility to fund unfeasible oil projects to provide newfies with high paying scaffolding jobs.

Gonna be a long summer on Poegy Beach.

https://youtu.be/PdVBnhqXFWo

Lol, Your basing your opinion on old articles and youtube feeds, get with the times.
I wonder if you even know thy the protesters are trying to stop the expansion, and the reason why quebec didnt want energy east. Have you been listening?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol, Your basing your opinion on old articles and youtube feeds, get with the times.
I wonder if you even know thy the protesters are trying to stop the expansion, and the reason why quebec didnt want energy east. Have you been listening?
Ok, obviously you must have some concrete math as to why upgraders would be a good investment right now?

And I am dying to hear it.

As is everyone in Calgary as they must have missed this money making venture?

And trust me I wish upgraders were the money makers they used to be.

I worked for Shell at the basplant upgrader transferred to SUex1 for design, build, construction and startup. We had ten upgraders total on the books back in 2008.

There was point during the crash when we thought RDS was going to pull the pin on SUEx1.

They have since pulled the pin on the remaining upgraders, sold to CNRL and basically pulled out of Canadian heavy oil.
If it was a good investment Shell would not be distancing itself from it.

The base plant upgrader was a great project that had a ROI of less than 4 years.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol you didn’t answer my question.

You have experience working in a upgrader than your are aware of the political BS and why the costs are high than, but do you know the sagd process??? No pipeline, no raw product expansion for product upgrading to handle the BPD the oilsands is kicking out.
Whats for heavy oil industry than???
A switch to Light oil exploration like what Shell is up to.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the pipeline politics are pretty complicated but in a nutshell.

Energy east was cancelled because Denis Codre is a **** and wouldn't allow the existing pipe to transport crude through Montreal. I personally think he was getting kickbacks from Saudi Arabia as this keeps the refineries out east on OPEC oil.

The protestors out west don't really know what they are protesting in my opinion. Most are delusional eco warriors that are on standbye for any cause or are paid protestors. They may think they are winning a climate change battle, but in reality they have enabled less ethical and less environmentally cautious oil on to the market.
Ie any country currently not signed onto the Paris climate hoax.

Foreign meddling has alot to do with it.
Soros has his agenda.
And Warren Buffett was heavily invested in railways, so a pipeline wasn't in his best interest (Keystone XL).

The United States has discovered they can control most of the middle East threat by keeping oil prices low, as they can't fund their militarys or terrorist organizations.

Worked in a SAGD plant for 3 years.
Those projects are on life support too.
Even the ones with the best SOR and the piped ones.
The truck and rails ones have an extra hurdle.

I hate to say it but the outlook for heavy oil right now isn't great.

Part of reason I went back farming, which isn't great either.

Drilling in the bakken is ongoing.
And light oil tech continues to expand.

What is your career in the oilfield?

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Energy east was cancelled because Denis Codre is a **** and wouldn't allow the existing pipe to transport crude through Montreal. I personally think he was getting kickbacks from Saudi Arabia as this keeps the refineries out east on OPEC oil.

The protestors out west don't really know what they are protesting in my opinion. Most are delusional eco warriors that are on standbye for any cause or are paid protestors. They may think they are winning a climate change battle, but in reality they have enabled less ethical and less environmentally cautious oil on to the market.

Soros has his agenda.
And Warren Buffett was heavily invest in railways, so a pipeline wasn't in his best interest (Keystone XL).

The United States has discovered they can control most of the middle East threat by keeping oil prices low, as they can't find their militarilysor terrorist organizations.

Bingo and well put. Need a farm-hand? I can drive anything. :)

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have worked in the upgrading and refining industry for almost 25 years. Without pipelines we have no where to ship synthetic crude or final products so unfortunately more upgraders or refineries are not of any help. Shell got out and no one else is about to invest here given this and the political climate. Only those with performing assets on the ground are digging in. There are better places with better returns to invest. Pretty sad given where we were headed 10 years ago.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Soros has his agenda.
And Warren Buffett was heavily invest in railways, so a pipeline wasn't in his best interest (Keystone XL).

The United States has discovered they can control most of the middle East threat by keeping oil prices low, as they can't find their militarilysor terrorist organizations.

Ok now we agree, the outlook for heavy oils future doesnt look good.
I see our heavy oil going like BC’s forestry industry if this keeps up, all of our raw product will all get loaded on ships instead of being processed in Canada.

As you explained without saying it really, the problem is the type of product that will be in the pipe and where it is from.

I contract to a pipeline company that handles all different products from Hot Bit, to synthetic Crude from oilsands and a sagd plant.

Top Bottom