Kijiji horror stories

rider1

Reaction score
Talked to a guy in bc drove 12 hours one way to buy his truck after he assured me it had no rust no oil leaks and it was in mint cond. He also told me it was completely restored.I even had photos of his truck from all angles and it never showed any of this in the pictures. When i got there i told him there was rust on the truck all he could say he was sorry never knew that.Then he told me he put new rotors on so i went to check that and they were all rusty looking he then told me he bought them from an auto wreaker. Moral of the story is i drove 24 hours did not buy the truck the guy is a lier and don't trust pictures.

m1000db

Reaction score
I fail to understand how these guys would think that your actually going to buy it just because you went through all that effort to get there?? I have had the opposite happen as well, sold an old quad told the guy, told him its in rough condition and the price of $1000 for a mechanically sound quad seemed fair. Loaded it up and met him half way>>> then he started to waffle on buying it..after I agreed to meet him half way.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a buddy selling a Camaro. Guy took the bus in from lloydminster, we picked him up downtown Edmonton and went to the car south of Sherwood park. It had no registration or insurance. He than tried to bargain on the agreed upon price.

He agreed to the aforementioned price when we closed the garage door with him outside and told him which way and how far to town

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have issues selling stuff. If the ad is there assume it is for sale and ask a legit question about what I am selling, instead of "Is it still for sale". Then never hearing a word back from them after i say it is. I tried to buy a tread mill from someone that was about an hour away once, when I got there they didnt even have the same one as the one pictured in the ad and when I talked to them before going to pick it up they said it was barely used, but they failed to mention barely used since 1956 when it was made.

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Selling my quad, told the guy about the issues with it (all of which were minor and just didnt feel like repairing them to sell it) and agreed 1000 less than asking price. He said he would go to the bank, get cash and meet me. I drove 3 hours to pick it up that day and met him that evening. He tried swindling me down another 1000 when he looked at it saying that I didnt tell him about the issues (chain and sproket and brake pads) Then wanted to take it for a test drive. Told him I will load it up and take off if he is going to be like that, then hands me a pre-counted stack, saying he will take it for my asking price. Kinda threw me a little, then says, "since I gave you full asking price wanna throw in that riding gear I saw in your truck and the quad ramps and straps and the one jerry can? I threw my straps and ramps back in and drove away without responding.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or how about this for a story. I want a certain truck on Kijiji.......

I will buy that truck, no bs, no nothing and if it looks like the pics pay the asking price for it. I have tons of pics of it and it's as mint as one could expect at the it's mileage ( 2005 GMC reg cab short bed 4X4 with 39000 kms on it). But do you think I can actually buy it? Nope.

The owner refuses to reply to emails......... And of course does not provide a phone number either. It's not going to his junkmail as he will reply at least once. So he will send you one email ( which is basically something canned and he changes the name) and then you never hear from him again. I have tried every angle I could think of..... nothing. He always asks if you live in the Grande Prairie area, so the last go around we just said yes. Still nothing.....

Pays to bump the ad ( the views which are nearing 9000), pays to usually consistently keep it as a top ad ( $30 a week) but it has honestly been for sale since August of 2010........ I have found old ads ( non Kijiji) on the net and that is the oldest I have found.

Is it a scam........ well I dunno what he is scamming as it is costing him money, and me nothing. I don't stress about it but I would love to snatch it to make a turbo'd 6 liter project from it ( want something clean that requires no body work, no clean up on the chassis, no resto garbage, just an engine and trans swap)..... but too bad. And no, I have never given my intentions in the replies either........ nor have my friends I have trying as well.

Actually have found lots of sellers lately as I am truck hunting for 2 different rigs at the same time..... Lots of one reply and nothing again....... and the ad sticks around for months or gets bumped so it's not selling. I just usually ask when or where I can come look at it and that is where it ends....... Not my problem if you don't want to be bothered to even show the effort to sell it.

That said Kijiji sold my truck I have for sale today!!!!!!!! Plus they didn't say a word and drove to Westlock from Sherwood Park which was a nice change. Seem like nice people too. So sometimes it is not all bad, lol.

Last edited:

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Dad was selling a dirtbike on Kijiji a few years back. Guy got ahold of him said he wants to come see the bike, very intrested ect. Dad gives the guy directions out to his place and sets up a meeting time. Guy never shows up. Couple mornings later Dad goes out to the shop, sees the door hanging open and the bike is gone...never to be seen again. Of course tried to contact the guy and never hear anything from him. No insurance and 100% loss for him. Moral of the story...always arrange meetings in a public place.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Dad was selling a dirtbike on Kijiji a few years back. Guy got ahold of him said he wants to come see the bike, very intrested ect. Dad gives the guy directions out to his place and sets up a meeting time. Guy never shows up. Couple mornings later Dad goes out to the shop, sees the door hanging open and the bike is gone...never to be seen again. Of course tried to contact the guy and never hear anything from him. No insurance and 100% loss for him. Moral of the story...always arrange meetings in a

Did yea take that to the police? Be interesting to see what they would sa
Myself I wad trying to buy a truck in olds. First visit was to check it out and test drive. All is good. Second vist we had arranged a piece and was going to purchase on second trip. Got up there and the guy changesd his mind, not for sale. Wasted 4 hrs of my time and gas. And too boot buddy phones me a month later and asks if I still want to buy it for the same price, I clearly let him know I got a optioned up one for less money LOL

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been having fun with my Boat ad on Kijiji.
i've had calls from New York and Cali, 7 in total. All the a same, asking if it's still for sale and then wanting to send
me money right away. All I have to do is send my Pay Pal or Bank Acct.
i grab the are code look up right away and then google the address, scared the chit right out of one guy, had the cops ready
to pay him a visit and after about four texts, he couldn't even speak English any longer.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of people don't check their spam mail and that is where a lot of replies end up. Lol I found that out after someone made a complaint and kijiji sent me an email !!!

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Dad was selling a dirtbike on Kijiji a few years back. Guy got ahold of him said he wants to come see the bike, very intrested ect. Dad gives the guy directions out to his place and sets up a meeting time. Guy never shows up. Couple mornings later Dad goes out to the shop, sees the door hanging open and the bike is gone...never to be seen again. Of course tried to contact the guy and never hear anything from him. No insurance and 100% loss for him. Moral of the story...always arrange meetings in a public place.

Had some peckerhead ask a bunch of questions, then commit to buy saying he will meet @ my place at a certain time then never show. I just thought he was a loser wasting my time, to dickless to call and say he changed his mind or whatever. Never thought about this angle. Whoever buys my sled can load up in the Walmart parking lot! :)

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im sellin a dirtbike now on kijiji. the day after i posted i got 2 texts to the effect of "are your snowmobile/atv still for sale? price please? please send details to ... but dont text back coz at working all day", terrible english & grammar and all the details are in the add, they were just fishing for my email addy. i did not reply to either text since i was specific NO EMAIL'S. im a kijiji junkie but it's definetly hit or miss

jdawgtherigpig

Reaction score
last year i went and looked at a mustang in edm. after talking to the guy for a week about it.
drove from lloyd to west edm on the weekend. checked the car out. exactly what he said, was happy to purchase it.
i told him before i came that i wouldnt be taking it that day but if i wanted to buy it i would come back during the week with cash and a trailer.
he said he would be fine with that. so after looking at the car i head home. call him mon night to come back on tuesday. he says no prob.
i drive to edm again from lloyd to find out he sold the car 3 hours before i got there...

rider1

Reaction score
Before i made my 12 hour drive this guy even offered for me and my wife to have supper with them and stay the night. 15 min later i was on my way home.

last year i went and looked at a mustang in edm. after talking to the guy for a week about it.
drove from lloyd to west edm on the weekend. checked the car out. exactly what he said, was happy to purchase it.
i told him before i came that i wouldnt be taking it that day but if i wanted to buy it i would come back during the week with cash and a trailer.
he said he would be fine with that. so after looking at the car i head home. call him mon night to come back on tuesday. he says no prob.
i drive to edm again from lloyd to find out he sold the car 3 hours before i got there...

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sold a treadmill. Drove all the way to elkford to drop it off. Got a great lunch out if it, helped set it up, and got what I asked for out of it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Did ya give the guy a deposit ???

If u didn't , said u would take it how many people say 100% I'll take never to call or show up to get it ???

Deposit is the only way ill hold something for someone unless they take it when they look at it.

Have had turned way too many other buyers down cause one guy says yes but never comes.

I'll even take there # and tell them that ill call if its not picked up.
But that's a total pain in the butt.

So now If I have a deposit ill wait. Otherwise first money its gone.

sent from my htc

Last edited:

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Did ya give the guy a deposit ???

If u didn't , said u would take it how many people say 100% I'll take never to call or show up to get it ???

Bingo. I have sold a ton of stuff on Kijiji and unless you put money down it's first come first serve. Admittedly I have made exceptions here and there but I make it more of a judgement call on the person I am dealing with at the time. And the fact you called the night prior is a bummer to find it sold the next day. $100 probably would have ensured that didn't happen though......

If you want someone to hold something for a week because you need the time to get your $hit together give him something and it probably will stay. If you just walk away and then try and show up in a weeks time........ well you saw what happened, lol.

Now if sold it out with a deposit that is almost call for something legal.

Take me at the moment. My 2010 Titan is for intents "SOLD". However I haven't taken it's ads down yet. Why? No cash in hand. However the judgement kicks in here too as they seem like pretty decent people and made a 1.5 hour drive to come look on their own accord without bitching, whining or asking me to bring the truck to Edmonton or something. And...... If someone else wanted it all of the sudden I would probably tell them it is tentatively gone and let them know otherwise. But this is thousands of dollars, not hundreds..

I am about 99% percent certain the guy won't do it..... but he might never call nor show up Monday with the money. You just honestly never know.

On the flip side I had a guy desperately calling me while I was work about some old $300 heap of a car I was selling. He wanted it bad and was coming anytime. Well once I got home he kept calling so I gave him a time and whatnot........ And he never showed up.... So I call and he says the next day. Still no show....... and never heard from the douche again. In the meantime I had 2 or 3 others so I had to re-call those guys and let them know it was still up for sale. Pain in the ass is all that was. And the first guy started the I don't answer my phone game.......

Last edited:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Talked to a guy in bc drove 12 hours one way to buy his truck after he assured me it had no rust no oil leaks and it was in mint cond. He also told me it was completely restored.I even had photos of his truck from all angles and it never showed any of this in the pictures. When i got there i told him there was rust on the truck all he could say he was sorry never knew that.Then he told me he put new rotors on so i went to check that and they were all rusty looking he then told me he bought them from an auto wreaker. Moral of the story is i drove 24 hours did not buy the truck the guy is a lier and don't trust pictures.

When you are driving 12 hours you almost have to trust pictures unless you know someone there to go look at it.....and if you are driving 12 hours it must be a one of a kind truck or too cheap to be true to make a guy go through all that

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya he tried they pretty much told him sorry for your luck...shoulda known better.

Did yea take that to the police? Be interesting to see what they would sa
Myself I wad trying to buy a truck in olds. First visit was to check it out and test drive. All is good. Second vist we had arranged a piece and was going to purchase on second trip. Got up there and the guy changesd his mind, not for sale. Wasted 4 hrs of my time and gas. And too boot buddy phones me a month later and asks if I still want to buy it for the same price, I clearly let him know I got a optioned up one for less money LOL[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom