(Keystone) Caribou and Standard Basin Closure in effect next season.

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to have a zoomed out picture say 100km radius from revelstoke then draw on the riding areas. People think we can ride every square inch of the mountains and that the caribou must be extremely limited space if they are proposing closures. I have had mutiple people refuse to sign the letter because they are animal activist. They have zero facts but will support animals in any cause.

I have posted it before as it is always an annoyance of mine. It would be nice to have a estimate calculation of riding and a comparison to total backcountry wilderness. I know it will be an extremely small number mostly because we are limited by road access. he!! in alberta 99% of our mountains are in the park and have zero access except by hikers. Whats the point of millions of square km if no one can use it or access it. I am all for conservation and love the backcountry but the greenies get me so worked up.

Manatee

Reaction score
Kathy,
I printed off a copy of that letter and signed and faxed into you this morning.
Keep up the good fight. I don't live in BC, but I sure love coming out there to ride whenever I can.

Thanks,
Richie Bleau.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
.....and if your interested in reading about Wildsight`s part in all of this, check out the Related Content to the right of the page also.

https://www.wildsight.ca/news/176

IMG_1704.jpg

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to have a zoomed out picture say 100km radius from revelstoke then draw on the riding areas. People think we can ride every square inch of the mountains and that the caribou must be extremely limited space if they are proposing closures. I have had mutiple people refuse to sign the letter because they are animal activist. They have zero facts but will support animals in any cause.

I have posted it before as it is always an annoyance of mine. It would be nice to have a estimate calculation of riding and a comparison to total backcountry wilderness. I know it will be an extremely small number mostly because we are limited by road access. he!! in alberta 99% of our mountains are in the park and have zero access except by hikers. Whats the point of millions of square km if no one can use it or access it. I am all for conservation and love the backcountry but the greenies get me so worked up.

That would be nice, and compare it to Heliskiing. YOu wouldn't believe how many mountains Wiegele has. It dwarfs out minute terrain.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be nice, and compare it to Heliskiing. YOu wouldn't believe how many mountains Wiegele has. It dwarfs out minute terrain.
Be interesting to know how may litres of jet fuel is burned per skier per day.

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tuesday a map like that would be effective but I don`t know of one.

Here is an update from the RSC`s site regarding the closures at Caribou, Keystone/Standard and our recent meeting with MoE.

News - Revelstoke Snowmobile Club

I will see what I can start with google maps, then build from there. A better visual representation would help a lot IMO. People dont realize how big the area is and how much of its inaccessible unless via chopper.

Later

PS

I will keep collecting letters and send in a bigger batch once we are getting closer to a "deadline".

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be interesting to know how may litres of jet fuel is burned per skier per day.
Read on the net that a Bell 212 burns 410 litres of fuel per hour (don't know if that is loaded or just cruising empty, I'm guessing they burn more fuel trying to stay in the air at altitude) That chopper carries 10 skiers.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mike Wiegele Heli-Skiing, Heli-Boarding & Snowcat Skiing

Nestled in the heart of the Monashee and Cariboo mountains - and with more than 10 metres of snowfall each year, Mike Wiegele Helicopter Skiing is renowned for majestic mountains, pristine powder and exceptional ski terrain.
Experience the challenge of steep trees, the thrill of a glacier descent or the more relaxed pace of our gentler slopes as you explore more than 1,200,000 acres of our ski terrain.

Select a professionally guided three, five or seven day heliski or snowcat vacation. Chose from the various packages of all sizes, then enjoy the advantages of our perfect powder, luxurious Heli Village Resort and "unlimited vertical" policy.

Heli-Ski, Heli-Board, Snow-Cat Skiing - experience back country powder the way nature intended it. Elevate Your Experience

Straight off the Weigele website.

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look closely to his map

This is what we need with a sledding area that is accessible. It is so small its not even funny.

Still makes one wonder how many 100's of millions of acres that are not accessible but apparently those are not good enough for animals. Makes perfect sense to close the remaining few areas..............:nono:

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Wanna get depressed........check this. Revy operator. CMH isn't listed here either......with the both of them we have access to less than 10% of the terrain..maybe less.

Boulder and Turtle are left of the city on the first 2 ridges fyi

RS

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Tuesday please send the letters in a you get them. We have packaged and are mailing them out now on a regular basis, don`t want it to stop.
There is also a concerned citizen letter.

I know it is depressing to see the heli-ski pod maps, get mad and send those letters in. :rant:

Here is the cover letter included in the packages.

cover letter 1.jpg

cover letter 2.jpg

Last edited:

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wanna get depressed........check this. Revy operator. CMH isn't listed here either......with the both of them we have access to less than 10% of the terrain..maybe less.

Boulder and Turtle are left of the city on the first 2 ridges fyi

RS

Trying to find a way to edit that pdf so we can display sledding areas. Really is a small area in comparison.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trying to find a way to edit that pdf so we can display sledding areas. Really is a small area in comparison.

Here's a screenshot of a file I've done to include the approximate locations of Frisby, Boulder and Turtle. If you send me an email address I can send the full file (It's too large to upload).

Given a bit more time I can likely do a better job. It'd be nice to be able to shade in the heliskiing areas too.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 216

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Packages of your support letters have been going out in the mail for over a wk. now. Please continue to send them in, don`t want it to stop. On July 22 the RSC and SRS travelled to Cranbrook, we met with David Wilks MP and Riders West Magazine. :d

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Packages of your support letters have been going out in the mail for over a wk. now. Please continue to send them in, don`t want it to stop. On July 22 the RSC and SRS travelled to Cranbrook, we met with David Wilks MP and Riders West Magazine. :d

I will fire mine off tomorrow.

watthead

Reaction score
Used to do a lot of cutblock layout in the Blue River area. Seen caribou on several occasions while at work. Came across a herd of 8 dead one day. They were all lying on a small plateau just above the railway tracks. It was pretty clear they had eaten some spillage from the trains and died as a result. Maybe all these scientists and professionals should rethink whats killing off the Mountain Caribou.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Support given to snowmobile fight against caribou closures

Council agreed to support the local snowmobiling organizations fight against new caribou closures

The vote was 3-2 in favour of sending the letter, with councillors Scarcella, Peter Frew and Steve Bender voting in favour and councillors Chris Johnston and Antoinette Halberstadt voting against the motion.

Andrea Threatful, the executive director of the Snowmobile Revelstoke Society, said the closures were not done with proper consultation.

"We are looking to resume negotiations with government and to provide alternative workable solutions," she told council.

Couns, Halberstadt and Johnston both said council should get information from both sides before lending support to anyone.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Please continue to send in your letters of support. Packages have gone out in the mail everyday for 4 wks. now, really appreciate your added comments. Still no reply from Gov.

http://www.revelstokesnowmobileclub.com/userfiles/rsc letter.pdf

you can sign, scan and e-mail them to laroy@telus.net or sledrev@telus.net

by mail

Revelstoke Snowmobile Club
Box 1849
Revelstoke, B.C.
V0E 2S0

Snowmobile Revelstoke Society
Box 459
Revelstoke, B.C.
V0E 2S0

or fax 250-837-3524