Keep Blowing Belts

Dustylane

Reaction score
In the last 50 miles i have blown 3 belts on my 2009 xp 800 154 i checked out how to correctly align my clutch and just when i think i got it i blow another belt. I am now looking for a good mechanic around the red deer area to check my alignment and maybe look over my sled to see something that i cant see. I have checked all my motor mounts and bulkhead and all looks good. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions to what i can do? I just recently put a vent kit on my sled, would the snow getting through the vents and getting on the clutch and belt have anything to do with it?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You probably have a bushing or bushings gone in the TRA. I would definately have the tech look at that as well.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mabe too much crank runout also

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Dustylane

Reaction score
I was running BRP and gatorback, i didnt buy them they came with the sled but what should i go with? I have been told to go with the 383

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was running BRP and gatorback, i didnt buy them they came with the sled but what should i go with? I have been told to go with the 383
I think the 377 was the better belt, someone may correct me if I'm wrong....I also ran a 288 from the MXZ RS 600 with great results. pricey belt tho

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't mention where you were riding.. Mine used to blow belts in the flats when i got the rpm up too high.. Not enough drag or something and it over spins, i'm really don't know why.. Only 2 times i blew a belt on my xp was 8000rmp +..

Dustylane

Reaction score
I was riding around central alberta and ya around that 8000 rpm, so what did you do different? Riding in the mountains i never had a problem, around home i am running my quick clickers on number 2

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a friend had same issue last year. kept purchasing ultimax belts and kept blowing up every other ride. Everything was fine on sled... We decided to go back to the stock belt and continue to moniter the belt and position. After correctly setting it and going back to the stock belt we have not had a problem again.... 1000km later

OF note the only reason he purchased the Ultimax belt is the fact it was cheaper and had a no frills 1 year warranty. Needless to say he sent back shrapnel of 8-10belts and they sent him 5 new ones... Although the new belts are essentially useless to his sled it was the fact they stood behind there warranty....

story- stick to the factory issued belt and review the settings to see if that works.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a friend had same issue last year. kept purchasing ultimax belts and kept blowing up every other ride. Everything was fine on sled... We decided to go back to the stock belt and continue to moniter the belt and position. After correctly setting it and going back to the stock belt we have not had a problem again.... 1000km later

OF note the only reason he purchased the Ultimax belt is the fact it was cheaper and had a no frills 1 year warranty. Needless to say he sent back shrapnel of 8-10belts and they sent him 5 new ones... Although the new belts are essentially useless to his sled it was the fact they stood behind there warranty....

story- stick to the factory issued belt and review the settings to see if that works.

I knew lots of guys who roasted stock Doo belts. Ran Ultimax and Carlisles on a lot of mod sleds with rolled cases and good sized power, never had an issue. Like most aftermarket belts, if you break them in properly, they are fine. They honour the warranty as well. MBL in Ottawa makes Doo belts, they are not a specialized sled belt company, they simply make them in mass production right along side v-belts, serpentine belts and sewing machine belts.

Why is it that Yamaha can make a $80 belt like the 8DN that lasts as long as you want it to, and the other manufacturers charge well over double that for something that lasts half as long?

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only time I have seen blown belts on an XP, was when the belt tension was not set properly.
And yes, let go at high RPM.
As a starting point, the bottom or root of the top cogs should be flush with the outside diameter of the secondary.
The 383 belt is listed as medium performance, as opposed to the 377, which is listed as high performance.
However the 391 belt has glued cord construction, and I am under the impression, that this belt can handle more heat.
It is also listed as high performance. Here a chart for your viewing pleasure.
Good luck !

Attachments

• ski doo belts.jpg
    ski doo belts.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 181

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
383 is the belt to use when your in the mountains and your going down a long steep hill and you feel like a little girl, so take the 383 and wrap it around your spindle and ski, that's all a 383 is good for.
377 is the minimum required belt, 391 is best. Set belt deflection so that when the rear of the sled is propped up the track just barely turns but stops when idling.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I blew 3 belts quickly on my 09 I found that the little 1" plastic plug was missing just behind the top of the shock on the clutch side. Snow was getting directly on the clutch and belt causing big slippage.

Dustylane

Reaction score
Thanks alot for all the feedback i am going to get a 391 today and hopefully get out in this fresh powder that central alberta is offering us.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally if he is going through 3 belts in that distance it doesn't matter what belt he is running. There is something pooched in his clutch or clutches. Some of the XP's could handle a tweak in the alignment to make them better but even if the alignment is a tiny bit out I don't think he will kill that many belts that quickly. Most likely the spring cup bushing is gone.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally if he is going through 3 belts in that distance it doesn't matter what belt he is running. There is something pooched in his clutch or clutches. Some of the XP's could handle a tweak in the alignment to make them better but even if the alignment is a tiny bit out I don't think he will kill that many belts that quickly. Most likely the spring cup bushing is gone.

Yup, clutch problem...not belts in that short distance

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 2008 we had a sled that would burn a belt every ride. Couple shims behind the jack shaft bearing and voila never burnt a belt again. Even moving to a larger more stressful 174 track. But like mentioned a small alignment issue won't do that. You have moisture intake or internal issues. But the interesting thing is the only belts I have ever blown were going Mach 1 down a flat stretch. Maybe the mountain belts just can't handle that type of riding. Maybe they last longer under full load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Dustylane

Reaction score
Ya i just picked up a 391 belt and a clutch rebuild kit with the spring cup bushing like snopro said so hopefully that cures the problem and i can resume riding, is there anything i should check on the secondary while i have everything apart?

Top Bottom